Author Topic: Stupid wifi question  (Read 803 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Stupid wifi question
« on: June 25, 2022, 01:01:06 PM »
So, I have a friend who has a dlink wifi router, and... She has forgotten the password. Can I go over and just reset things to some sort of starting point, or should I just pick up a cheapo?

She wants to set up a pet camera/treat thing...

Yeah, I know...

(on an aside, I just ordered a half-dozen smart light bulbs. "Alexa, off the lights.")

(next up will be "Alexa, activate burglar mode."
Blog under construction

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Stupid wifi question
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2022, 01:06:04 PM »
Default password should be on the label. If the password hasn't been changed, golden. If it has been changed, do a factory reset and it should revert.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2022, 01:06:28 PM »
There should be a reset button somewhere on the back or bottom of the router that resets everything to factory defaults.  Get the model number and download the manual for it from the Dlink website before you start so you can set everything back up for her.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2022, 06:35:27 PM »
So, I have a friend who has a dlink wifi router, and... She has forgotten the password. Can I go over and just reset things to some sort of starting point, or should I just pick up a cheapo?

Should be able to just reset.  G00gle up default user name and password first.

She wants to set up a pet camera/treat thing...

Yeah, I know...

(on an aside, I just ordered a half-dozen smart light bulbs. "Alexa, off the lights.")

"Alexa, release the robotic Richard Simmons."
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2022, 07:16:28 PM »
What they said
« Last Edit: June 26, 2022, 11:25:07 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2022, 12:31:00 AM »

You can always go back and change the names of the lights, but a little forethought will save some grief.  For instance, I have BR30s in the family room ceiling.  Great for lighting up a movie night or party night, etc.  I found out that "Movie 1, Movie 2, and Movie 3..."  did not work so well.  "Movie Alpha, Movie Beta, and Movie Charlie..." work out so much better.  I use names for individual bulbs to light certain areas. Movie Alpha and Movie Beta light up my work area in that room just great.  Movie Echo puts a nice glow over the china cabinet.  When I want to control all at once, the whole BR30 bunch is named "Ceiling". The Movie Alpha and Beta combo are called "Work Table".  Make one group for each room that contains all lights in that room.  Alexa, turn off "Family Room Lights".  etc.

Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2022, 11:23:23 PM »
This is so cool. I suppose I shall grow out of "disco mode" eventually.
Blog under construction

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2022, 11:51:32 PM »
So, am I the only guy setting bathroom lights to red? Now to figure out a timer...
Blog under construction

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2022, 11:53:54 PM »
So, am I the only guy setting bathroom lights to red? Now to figure out a timer...

Red nightlight in the bathroom. Doesn't mess with your night vision
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2022, 12:31:56 AM »
Red nightlight in the bathroom. Doesn't mess with your night vision

Also doesn't zap your melatonin, so you can go back to sleep easier.  (I think that's right anyway)
"It's good, though..."

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2022, 01:46:55 AM »

Alexa will do a countdown timer.  What to you want a timer on?  If you start looking at a bluetooth clock to add to your Alexa, stay away from the Amazon one.  It's very cheaply made.  No cover over the dials, and the hands fall off if you just look at it wrong... and when you press the hands back on, they have to be precisely positioned so the clock knows what the time is showing.  This is a better one: 

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TCR1PD6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2022, 10:06:24 AM »
I don't have a "smart clock."

I have two that I got at Ikea. One was about $5, and the other about $10.
Blog under construction

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2022, 10:10:18 AM »
Alexa will do a countdown timer. 

So will your phone. "Set timer to X"
And you can put it in your pocket and carry it around with you in the yard etc... Far more useful for that reason IMHO
- Calvin and Hobbes

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2022, 10:14:26 AM »
Mostly I just want to turn the bathroom red during sleeping hours, without having to think about it. I think I've got it. We'll know tonight.
Blog under construction

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2022, 03:19:45 PM »
If you already have the smart bulbs that color change, you just set a routine in the alexa app for that. tell her to turn the bathroom red at 2100 or whatever and back to white at 0600 or whatever.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2022, 03:21:25 PM »
Mostly I just want to turn the bathroom red during sleeping hours, without having to think about it. I think I've got it. We'll know tonight.

What about turning the light off during sleeping hours? Quaint and old-fashioned, I know, but...

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2022, 03:23:58 PM »
$10.29 for a twin pack
Cheap and they don't require any programming, wifi network, or spy devices to operate.
In fact you could call them "plug and play"

https://www.amazon.com/Diffused-Efficient-Bedroom-Bathroom-Kitchen/dp/B07SXFP4MP/ref=sr_1_2?crid=62T8Y9TRIS6A&keywords=red+night+light&qid=1656357692&sprefix=red+nightlight%2Caps%2C108&sr=8-2
- Calvin and Hobbes

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2022, 03:25:28 PM »
What about turning the light off during sleeping hours? Quaint and old-fashioned, I know, but...

Brad

He might fall in.

My dad is coming to visit next week so I need to fix the light in the bathroom because he has to have it on 24/7.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2022, 03:31:33 PM »

Brad

Or motion detector bulb / night light.

https://www.amazon.com/Movement-Sensor-Diffused-Energy-Efficient/dp/B08RRRX5P5/ref=sr_1_9?crid=254NM7O96QL5N&keywords=night+light+motion+sensor&qid=1656357808&sprefix=night+light+mo%2Caps%2C179&sr=8-9

I have an old streamlight red/blue/white/IR helmet light that I used to fly with and used the blue LED for night flights. Now I keep it on my nightstand and use the blue as my "let the dog out without breaking my neck or hurting my eyes" light.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2022, 11:56:24 PM »

Note that in routines instead of using a specific time, you can use "sunrise" or "sunset".  You can also offset that by a time interval as in "15 minutes after sunset" and/or only have it happen on certain days.  That's how I control my outside lights.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.