Author Topic: Another hero dog dies protecting her family  (Read 1000 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Another hero dog dies protecting her family
« on: June 27, 2022, 04:46:00 PM »
https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/nation/family-dog-dies-protecting-kids-from-mountain-lion-in-colorado/?utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=owned_echobox_f&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR1bYTGQOy58eddrdhi-WJg1kkj4FHnqzU0BaDPWQPWWzGhoSdyO4kAV7mo#Echobox=1656361270

I am trying to be calm and not judge the dog owners, but opening windows and throwing things at the cougar?  If this was my house, there would have been at least one mag dump into the cougar trying to eat my dog.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Another hero dog dies protecting her family
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2022, 04:53:50 PM »
I can't post my thoughts about people who live in cougar territory and who don't have a freakin' GUN!
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2022, 05:43:27 PM »
I can't post my thoughts about people who live in cougar territory and who don't have a freakin' GUN!

Not everyone is able to own a firearm or wants to own/carry a firearm.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2022, 07:43:11 PM »
 I got a paywall.

However, from the sound of it, they were not smart enough to own a gun
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2022, 08:14:15 PM »
The dog had a job to do and did it without hesitation the best it could.  Good dog.  The owner, not so much.  But it sounds like after the kids were safely in the house, the dog attacked the cougar, not the other way around.  That wasn't necessary, but Dog didn't know that, I guess.
"It's good, though..."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2022, 09:08:18 PM »
Side thought:

Charby said,

"Not everyone is able to own a firearm or wants to own/carry a firearm."

Colorado is now a blue state.

It is a blue state because of all the blue people.

I wonder how many of these blue people have discovered that they can't own firearms.

Surprise, surprise!

Also, it would be darned hard to pick your target if the cougar and dog are fighting.  Be practical about it.  I've often thought a fixed-blade knife might be more effective in case of a personal attack by a lion.

Or even a canned boat horn.

Terry, 230RN

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2022, 09:24:41 PM »
Reminds me of all the tales about "brave teachers who died protecting children."

They weren't protecting anyone. And they may have been brave. But they were stupid and unarmed, and likely WANTED to be unarmed.

Dog couldn't have done anything about it, but people could have.
Blog under construction

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2022, 10:46:40 PM »
Reminds me of all the tales about "brave teachers who died protecting children."

They weren't protecting anyone. And they may have been brave. But they were stupid and unarmed, and likely WANTED to be unarmed.

Dog couldn't have done anything about it, but people could have.

If they tried to stop entry to their room and died between the gunman and the kids they absolutely are heroes. Did a lot more than a fire team worth of cops with rifles.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2022, 11:28:29 PM »
And if they had previously lobbied to be defenseless?
Blog under construction

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2022, 11:49:23 PM »
Not everyone is able to own a firearm or wants to own/carry a firearm.
Spear?
Bow?
Black Powder?
Knife/Machete? 

Lots of weapons potentially available IF they put some thought into it (which they probably didn't).  Gotta be willing to use them which might be a problem for some.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2022, 12:42:08 PM »
Spear?
Bow?
Black Powder?
Knife/Machete? 

Lots of weapons potentially available IF they put some thought into it (which they probably didn't).  Gotta be willing to use them which might be a problem for some.

Scissors?
Hot coffee?
Letter opener?
Heavy book?
Sheaf of loose papers?

Your chances may only go from zero to one in a hundred, but that's better than zero.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2022, 01:17:26 PM »
The dog had a job to do and did it without hesitation the best it could.  Good dog.  The owner, not so much.  But it sounds like after the kids were safely in the house, the dog attacked the cougar, not the other way around.  That wasn't necessary, but Dog didn't know that, I guess.

The best defense is a good offense.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2022, 01:58:07 PM »
https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/nation/family-dog-dies-protecting-kids-from-mountain-lion-in-colorado/?utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=owned_echobox_f&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR1bYTGQOy58eddrdhi-WJg1kkj4FHnqzU0BaDPWQPWWzGhoSdyO4kAV7mo#Echobox=1656361270

I am trying to be calm and not judge the dog owners, but opening windows and throwing things at the cougar?  If this was my house, there would have been at least one mag dump into the cougar trying to eat my dog.

Just the thing for me to see, the week my daughter, SIL, and brood go to Denver to visit, and do some primitive camping.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2022, 07:11:53 PM »
Scissors?
Hot coffee?
Letter opener?
Heavy book?
Sheaf of loose papers?

Your chances may only go from zero to one in a hundred, but that's better than zero.
Baseball bat?
Tennis racket?
Rolling pin?
Broomstick?
Hammer?

Some people see virtue in being unarmed, even if the law hasn't disarmed them. These people are called victims, statistics, or Darwin award winners.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2022, 12:45:14 AM »
There was an article posted on another gun forum about a CA DNR officer/director (??) who lost his job because he went to Montana where it was legal to do so and bagged a nice sized lion.
All because it isn't legal to kill lion in CA.
  :facepalm:  [barf]
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2022, 11:13:59 AM »
First time I visited a good friend at their family "ranch" in Northern AZ, I was surprised to see the kids outside playing, and a couple of adults standing by watching with slung rifles.  They educated me about lions stalking children.  Gotta say, M1 Garand rifles are probably a decent choice for most predators in that part of the world.  Both two and four leg varieties.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2022, 11:59:16 PM »
There was an article posted on another gun forum about a CA DNR officer/director (??) who lost his job because he went to Montana where it was legal to do so and bagged a nice sized lion.
All because it isn't legal to kill lion in CA.
  :facepalm:  [barf]

yeah, he was the chief or something, i was in SF at the time - everyone was angry as heck-they all believed they are endangered .
 the guy tried to claim he ate the lion meat but no one bought the story , including me, ppl do not hunt cats for meat, do they?
 lions are everywhere now in cali, not endangered at all
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."