Author Topic: Chlorine gas = Run like heck  (Read 626 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Chlorine gas = Run like heck
« on: June 28, 2022, 10:56:29 AM »
Holy crazy video Batman!
Gives you an idea how it got the nickname "Mustard Gas" in WW-I

At least a dozen people died when chlorine gas exploded from a storage tank that was dropped as it was being moved at Jordan’s Aqaba port on June 27, 2022. Video posted on Twitter by Jordan state television showed the tank filled with 25 tonnes (28 tons) of chlorine bound for export to Djibouti as it was lifted with a crane, then falling onto a ship’s deck. Workers were seen fleeing as a yellow-coloured cloud of the poisonous gas spread across the dock. The official death toll as of June 27 was 12 and at least 260 people were injured, including Jordanians and foreigners were being treated in hospital. Nearby areas were evacuated and residents were told to stay indoors as emergency responders established a 500-metre (1,640ft) cordon around the accident site.

Chlorine gas explosion at Jordan’s Aqaba port kills at least 12, injures over 250
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMBEfa-5wbs
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
Re: Chlorine gas = Run like heck
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2022, 12:16:37 PM »
I wonder how many merely "injured" were blinded.

Technically, chlorine is not "mustard gas" but it was probably nicknamed that.

I keep a half-face multi-purpose-filter gas mask in my bugout bag, but I'm pretty sure it would not do much good in a case like this.  I keep thinking I'll buy a full-face mask, but never get around to it.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2022, 12:19:06 PM »
Though most formulations of "mustard gas" are chlorine compounds, elemental chlorine gas is not mustard gas.

Of course chlorine gas is toxic - highly toxic - and was used as a war gas. Nasty stuff. I wouldn't want to be anywhere near what happened in Jordan - I'm sure toxic levels spread well beyond the visible yellow cloud.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2022, 12:28:09 PM »
A few years back, Dr. Michael Copass, the former medical director of King County Medic One (and the person running the training program when I got trained) put his foot in his mouth when he praised a perfect theoretical terrorist attack of exploding/leaking a chlorine tanker truck in the parking lot of Husky stadium at the UW during a Husky football game. The context was he was describing the state of Seattle's mass casualty response capabilities, but it did not quite come across that way.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2022, 12:47:25 PM »
Though most formulations of "mustard gas" are chlorine compounds, elemental chlorine gas is not mustard gas.

Granted but isn't the chlorine responsible for the color?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2022, 12:50:58 PM »
It's happened in the US involving tanker cars in train derailments
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2022, 12:54:36 PM »
Chlorine gas and mustard gas are quite different in how they damage the body.

Chlorine combines with water in the eyes and lungs to form hydrochloric acid. If your skin is dry, it generally won't do much.

Mustard gas is a blister agent and attacks just about anything on or in the human body.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2022, 01:14:17 PM »
There is an industrial chlorine plant next door to the Reserve Center I work at.  We have all kinds of alarms and detectors, and they've had two spills in the 20+ years I've worked here.  One spill was mostly alarms, and a bleachy smell when we got back from the evacuation.  The second closed the entire block for 48 hours, sent three of their employees to the hospital, and had all of us coughing as we evaced.  They had spilled about 2 cups of liquid chlorine that had become gas.

It is NASTY stuff.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2022, 05:23:00 PM »
My maternal grandfather got mustard gassed in the great war to end all wars... He finally succumbed in the late 20s/early 30s to TB...
Blog under construction

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2022, 12:50:01 AM »
My maternal grandfather got mustard gassed in the great war to end all wars... He finally succumbed in the late 20s/early 30s to TB...

My paternal GF was gassed as well but he lived into his 50s but died about 4 years before I was born.  He also had scoliosis (spinal curvature) but I don't know the cause of that.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2022, 07:39:40 AM »
One of the guys in my town when I was growing up had some really nasty scars on his arms and hands from mustard gas.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2022, 11:23:25 AM »
Dow Chemical used to have some Chlorine plants in Freeport, TX (Olin now).  One story from a former employee mentioned a leak alert came to an area he was working.  Him and an older worker were behind because it took time out of where they were working.  The old guy stopped and started climbing ladders.  They ended getting above the cloud and waiting it out. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2022, 12:52:06 PM »
Dow Chemical used to have some Chlorine plants in Freeport, TX (Olin now).  One story from a former employee mentioned a leak alert came to an area he was working.  Him and an older worker were behind because it took time out of where they were working.  The old guy stopped and started climbing ladders.  They ended getting above the cloud and waiting it out.

That is actually a great idea if you cannot evacuate the area.  Chlorine gas is around three times heavier than air and collects in low-lying areas. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.