Author Topic: The vanishing moderate Democrat  (Read 443 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
The vanishing moderate Democrat
« on: June 29, 2022, 02:01:33 PM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/29/magazine/moderate-democrat.html

Interesting article about many of the themes discussed here, such as the Party as a whole moving further left to the detriment of their voter base outside affluent liberal areas.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
Re: The vanishing moderate Democrat
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2022, 03:43:48 PM »
Never interrupt your enemy when they are making a mistake. Pretty much riding out from their forts and attacking their own supply lines at this point.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2022, 04:25:30 PM »
The party controllers - the central folks - are mostly from the coasts. And they're telling people to stay with the party line, or have their funding cut off.
Blog under construction

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2022, 05:23:58 PM »
Elon Musk made folks big mad when he mentioned this a few weeks ago.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2022, 05:31:13 PM »
Our governor, Tim Walz, was a moderate democrat.  Pro-gun, pro-veteran, nothing overly objectional that I remember.  I've voted for him before for state offices.  He went to Washington as a congressman and got schooled on how to be a proper Democrat.  Voted 100% with Nancy Pelosi while he was there.  Came home and he's still a liberal and now that he's somehow the governor he thinks he's the emperor.   :mad:

And I learned a lesson: never vote for a Democrat, they will stab you in the back when they get the chance.  (I did not vote for him for governor)
"It's good, though..."

Pb

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2022, 10:03:59 PM »
"Why won't these dumb bigots in flyover country vote for us?"

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2022, 10:21:05 AM »
I think back to when the D party had moderates - Adlai Stevenson, Hubert Humphrey, and of course JFK. I was a youngster then, but were I to meet with any of these men as an adult, I bet we could have a civil discussion on various issues - we'd find some common ground, and agree to disagree on other matters. Afterwards, we'd shake hands, wish each other well, and part amicably.

I don't think civil discourse is possible with some (many?) of today's democrats. Within 5 minutes they'd be cursing and insulting me, telling me I had NO right to hold the positions I do, that I was sexist, nativist, racist, and every other -ist they could think of. Some might even think they could smack me without receiving a like response.

The lunatics ARE running the asylum.

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain