Author Topic: FCC: TikTok should be banned  (Read 714 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
FCC: TikTok should be banned
« on: June 29, 2022, 08:19:10 PM »
Reportedly the China government has access to everything. Shocking isn't it?  ;/
Trump tried to warn people but who listens to Orange Man? He's crazy!

Of course how much access does the US govt have?

Carr’s letter made heavy reference to a recent report detailing leaked audio from internal meetings among American TikTok employees revealing that China-based employees of parent company ByteDance had regular and sweeping access to nonpublic US user data.

TikTok is not just another video app.
That’s the sheep’s clothing.

It harvests swaths of sensitive data that new reports show are being accessed in Beijing.

TikTok should be banned from Apple, Google stores over data concerns: FCC commissioner
https://nypost.com/2022/06/28/tiktok-should-be-banned-from-apple-google-stores-over-data-concerns-fcc-commissioner/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
Re: FCC: TikTok should be banned
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2022, 08:38:19 PM »
    TikTok doesn’t just see its users dance videos.

It collects search and browsing histories, keystroke patterns, biometric identifiers, draft messages and metadata, plus it has collected the text, images, and videos that are stored on a device's clipboard. pic.twitter.com/GKheArMM5X

— Brendan Carr (@BrendanCarrFCC) June 28, 2022

FCC commissioner calls on Apple and Google to remove TikTok from their app stores
https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2022/06/29/fcc-commissioner-calls-on-apple-and-google-to-remove-tiktok-from-their-app-stores/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

zahc

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2022, 08:41:01 PM »
Cool! Now do Facebook.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2022, 08:44:44 PM »
Downloading tiktok...

Searching "behind every blade of grass."

Blog under construction

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2022, 08:51:14 PM »
Cool! Now do Facebook.

What? And cut off US access?
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2022, 08:54:14 PM »
Downloading tiktok...

Searching "behind every blade of grass."

Their agents are working on eliminating that problem but there's been some setbacks the past couple of weeks.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2022, 10:12:47 PM »
One good reason to believe President Trump won 2020 is that he nearly always manages to be right. It's as if the universe shapes itself to prove him right.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2022, 10:58:10 PM »
I wonder.... [tinfoil].... How many of these recent shooters have been watching Tik Tok videos regularly??

griz

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2022, 06:50:08 AM »
“At its core, TikTok functions as a sophisticated surveillance tool that harvests extensive amounts of personal and sensitive data,” Carr wrote. “Indeed, TikTok collects everything from search and browsing histories to keystroke patterns and biometric identifiers, including faceprints…and voiceprints.”

And that differs from Apple and Google how?

Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2022, 08:20:30 AM »
Apple and Google don't normally collect Key logs and biometric data, and they don't send that data to a hostile government.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2022, 08:33:45 AM »
Apple and Google don't normally collect Key logs and biometric data, and they don't send that data to a hostile government.
They do collect keystroke and biometric data ...

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2022, 09:54:51 AM »
Cool! Now do Facebook.
Where's the like button?
7-11 was a part time job.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2022, 10:56:18 AM »
They do collect keystroke and biometric data ...

I was under the impression that passwords and biometric unlocks were encrypted from Google/Apple HQ.  so someone in CA can't log in to your "file" and see your stuff in plain text.  I may be wrong in that.  My impression is that TikTok does unencrypt that data and save it, so that Bejing CAN log in to your "file" and pull that info.  I may be wrong on that as well, however.

Apple/Google have some real issues regarding personal data and privacy.  TikTok is legitimately an intelligence collecting platform for a foreign government. Or at least that's what I was told by my G6 guys.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2022, 11:59:53 AM »

we've got a local hostile gov't too.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2022, 02:04:51 PM »
I was under the impression that passwords and biometric unlocks were encrypted from Google/Apple HQ.  so someone in CA can't log in to your "file" and see your stuff in plain text.  I may be wrong in that.  My impression is that TikTok does unencrypt that data and save it, so that Bejing CAN log in to your "file" and pull that info.  I may be wrong on that as well, however.
I'm sure Apple and Google have a greater level of protection firewalling the sensitive information they collect, but I assure you that if you can get access to the data that they store then so can they if they had a compelling interest in doing so.  That is to say, the primary barriers are procedural, not technical. 

Some password managers claim zero knowledge infrastructure but I have my doubts, and anyway the only key you have to present is password based so best case your data are as well protected as your password is hard to guess/brute force.

Apple/Google have some real issues regarding personal data and privacy.  TikTok is legitimately an intelligence collecting platform for a foreign government. Or at least that's what I was told by my G6 guys.
As bad as AT&T or worse?