Author Topic: Florida teachers object to new impetus  (Read 437 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Florida teachers object to new impetus
« on: June 30, 2022, 06:40:55 AM »
https://www.tampabay.com/news/florida-politics/2022/06/28/some-teachers-alarmed-by-florida-civics-training-approach-on-religion-slavery/

Teachers find it alarming that the State of Florida wants them to teach the truth about the Constitution.

Those dynamics came into full view last week, when trainers told Broward teachers the nation’s founders did not desire a strict separation of state and church, downplayed the role the colonies and later the United States had in the history of slavery in America, and pushed a judicial theory, favored by legal conservatives like DeSantis, that requires people to interpret the Constitution as the framers intended it, not as a living, evolving document, according to three educators who attended the training.

It is disturbing, really, that through these workshops and through legislation, there is this attempt to both censor and to drive or propagandize particular points of view,” said Richard Judd, 50, a Nova High School social studies teacher with 22 years of experience who attended the state-led training session last week.

So originalism/textualism is nothing but a propagandized judicial theory, according to these teachers.

Sobering.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Florida teachers object to new impetus
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2022, 07:24:04 AM »
Of course it is. It's also radicalism on the part of the Supreme Court.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2022, 10:12:43 AM »
Not really new - about 10 or 15 years ago a colleague said he and other PTA members had a bit of a row with faculty and administrators about the way they were teaching about the Constitution in the local elementary school. Among other things, the teachers handed out a copy of the Bill of Rights with the unimportant amendments crossed out.  :O

Needless to say, the 2nd was among those considered unimportant.

Back around then I looked through a 20th Century US History book that my cousin's kid's were "learning" from in grammar school. It covered WWI and WWII in just a few pages, but had multiple chapters on the women's and racial justice movements.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2022, 10:36:03 AM »
Not really new - about 10 or 15 years ago a colleague said he and other PTA members had a bit of a row with faculty and administrators about the way they were teaching about the Constitution in the local elementary school. Among other things, the teachers handed out a copy of the Bill of Rights with the unimportant amendments crossed out.  :O

Needless to say, the 2nd was among those considered unimportant.

Back around then I looked through a 20th Century US History book that my cousin's kid's were "learning" from in grammar school. It covered WWI and WWII in just a few pages, but had multiple chapters on the women's and racial justice movements.

They tried to pull something similar to that to us in the 70s. New history books came in they wanted our opinion on that would have a paragraph or two on people like George Washington almost mentioning him in passing while at the same time devoted multiple pages to civil rights activists and celebrities. Even Marilyn Monroe had multiple pages. Even as kids we were like WTF?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2022, 10:50:12 AM »
“It is disturbing, really, that through these workshops and through legislation, there is this attempt to both censor and to drive or propagandize particular points of view,” said Richard Judd, 50, a Nova High School social studies teacher with 22 years of experience who attended the state-led training session last week.

Of course he's disturbed.  He might actually have to teach Civics rather than Social Studies.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!