Author Topic: Delta Passengers Offered $10,000 Each To Exit Overbooked Flight  (Read 612 times)

MechAg94

• friend
https://www.dailywire.com/news/delta-passengers-offered-10000-each-to-exit-overbooked-flight-report?utm_campaign=dw_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_source=housefile&utm_content=member

Inc. magazine technology columnist Jason Aten shared with followers that he was seated on a flight from Grand Rapids to Minneapolis when a crew member announced that the flight was “apparently oversold” and that Delta was looking for eight passengers to forfeit their seats for $10,000 each, New York Post reported.

In April 2017, Delta sent employees an internal memo giving them authority to offer compensation of up to $9,950 to travelers who agreed to give up their seats on overbooked flights, the Post reported.

If this was cash/check and not just some sort of credit, I could do some driving or wait a day for $10K.  Usually when I have heard about this it was just credit.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

zahc

• friend
Re: Delta Passengers Offered $10,000 Each To Exit Overbooked Flight
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2022, 11:11:30 PM »
They said it was cash.

The most I've seen is about $2000.

Back when the cops dragged that guy off the united flight after nobody would take the credit, united stock dropped a few hundred million dollars for a while and a bunch of people swore off United. I said that they should have just started an auction because it would have been cheaper than calling the cops event if they had to pay a huge amount before anyone took it. Maybe Delta are smart enough to make the same analysis.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2022, 02:36:54 AM »
I bet it's travel vouchers, with a short enough expiration and enough restrictions that they are almost impossible to use.
"It's good, though..."

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2022, 04:07:25 AM »
Even if it were short term and for just "goodies" instead of cash, I wonder if it would be possible to "scalp" the vouchers at the ticket lines.  (One would hope they were transferable.)

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2022, 08:17:15 AM »
I recall reading that passengers were entitled to cash instead of a voucher if requested. 

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2022, 10:27:11 AM »
If cash, I ought to go book a flight and "volunteer" to be bumped. I need a new band saw and milling machine.

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2022, 11:13:06 AM »
I recall reading that passengers were entitled to cash instead of a voucher if requested.

Didn't they actually start that after the United thing zahc mentioned? Seems to ring a bell.

When I traveled a lot for work, I would often get in the volunteer queue for getting bumped, though I was rarely chosen. Depending on what they offered. My minimum was a voucher for CONUS travel. I had a girlfriend in DC for a few years, so it was worthwhile for visits outside of the few times a year I was flying to DC anyway for work. I one time got lucky enough for an "anywhere in the US including AK and HI" voucher.

There were times they couldn't have got me to do a volunteer bump for anything, usually after some exhausting TDY work thing where all I wanted to do was get home and hit the rack for a full day. Otherwise I was always open to it.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."