Author Topic: Another first for me...  (Read 682 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Another first for me...
« on: July 04, 2022, 09:27:22 PM »

Castle Key and I were down at the river by his house this afternoon and suddenly several dolphins surfaced, blew, and submerged.

They did that several times.

I've never spent much time at the beach so this is the first time I've ever seen dolphins in the wild.

So damned cool

A couple of winters ago we were doing some work under his dock, which involved us lying on our stomachs and hanging over.

As we're doing that suddenly a river otter swims up and investigates what we're doing. He hung around for maybe a minute and then took off.

Combine that with the osprey, eagles, herons and all of the other birds, and this place is a freaking paradise.

Except for the goddamned ticks. Castle Key is a freaking tick magnet. I don't seem to be as much, but I'm sure I'm still getting the little bastards.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Another first for me...
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2022, 09:41:22 PM »
Do the ticks in the area carry Lyme disease?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2022, 12:14:55 AM »
Otters get no quarter here.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2022, 06:08:36 AM »
Do the ticks in the area carry Lyme disease?

Not just Lyme...

Also Anaplasmosis, Bebesia and, perhaps worst of all, Alpha Gal in the goddamned Lone Star ticks.

Castle Key has that one. He can't eat pork or beef. I'm surprised I don't have that yet.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2022, 07:31:25 AM »
They've got tick spray specifically intended to treat your clothing with that helps - Coulston, Duranon, something like that. It works.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2022, 09:15:02 AM »
They've got tick spray specifically intended to treat your clothing with that helps - Coulston, Duranon, something like that. It works.

Works on mosquitoes and cats, too

https://www.sawyer.com/products/permethrin-fabric-treatment

I like river otters, and (eta) have no ill intent towards cats.  Permethrin is poisonus to cats.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2022, 10:39:59 AM by Tuco »
7-11 was a part time job.

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2022, 09:27:43 AM »
I use the Sawyer permithrin on my backpacking clothes.  It takes a little advance preparation (I use the spray on version) but it's a miracle worker.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2022, 06:12:33 AM »
I seem to recall Wife1 saying that one of the B vitamins is a good  insect repellent.  She was big on natural stuff.  I think it was Niacin, but it's been 40-50 years.  This thread reminded me.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2022, 09:55:00 AM »
Used to feed them the bycatch off the shrimp boat you could call them in by dragging a trash fish in the water and they’d surface beside it with mouths open to catch it when you tossed it.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!