Author Topic: ARB roof rack tarps?  (Read 480 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
ARB roof rack tarps?
« on: July 05, 2022, 03:22:16 PM »
Anyone here have one or opinions on them?

Thinking about getting a 4x6 for the rear of my Jeep, and possibly also a 6.5x8 for one side of it.  Summer camping season in AZ has monsoon thunderstorms pretty much daily in the mountains. 
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

dogmush

• friend
Re: ARB roof rack tarps?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2022, 04:04:25 PM »
Like a vehicle mounted awning?  Or a tarp for the stuff on your roof rack?

ETA:  If you mean a vehicle mounted awning, I have an OVS 270 degree awning on my truck and highly recommend it.  It's awesome not just in rain, but in hot sun.  I put it up pretty much every time I go camping or picnicking at the beach.  It's a great piece of gear. 
« Last Edit: July 05, 2022, 04:38:53 PM by dogmush »

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2022, 04:16:47 PM »
I've used a Kelty Noah's Tarp tied to the roof rack on my truck during downpours. I like the wing type tarps because you can tie them wind doesn't lift them like a fixed canopy.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2022, 05:30:14 PM »
Yeah, sorry.  I meant awning.  Words are hard sometimes.   :facepalm:  =D

I was considering a 270 degree one, but it seemed to me that it would be less useful than a square or pair of squares, and also less robust to wind and less customizable to slant rain in a desired direction.  What's your experience with that 270 rig?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2022, 05:39:26 PM »
I've used a Kelty Noah's Tarp tied to the roof rack on my truck during downpours. I like the wing type tarps because you can tie them wind doesn't lift them like a fixed canopy.

That's the exact tarp I use for my hammock camping setup.  Goes with my motorcycle on my trips.  We used that tarp, tied to the side of the Jeep and then to some nearby trees, last weekend as an improvised rain shelter. 

What do you mean by "wing type tarps?"  Dogmush's rig has me concerned about wind, though it does appear to be rather robustly built.  Those aluminum rafter supports do look beefy.
--Lysander Spooner

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2022, 06:08:10 PM »
I was considering a 270 degree one, but it seemed to me that it would be less useful than a square or pair of squares, and also less robust to wind and less customizable to slant rain in a desired direction.  What's your experience with that 270 rig?

I love it. You have about 8" of elevation "adjustment" at each of the vertical poles from the play in the hinges, so I use that to adjust my drainage to the desired spot. It has tiedowns that I put up if winds get over 10mph (ish) and tensioned down against the poles it's been rock solid in some pretty gusty storms.  I get coverage from the front of the drivers door, completely down the left side of the truck, and around the tailgate. It sticks out 9 or so feet from the truck at the wide part. I can have a table and chairs set up by my fire pit, and be cooking on the tailgate and it's all sheltered. I haven't bought them, but OVS has wall sections you can zip in and stake down if you get a lot of horizontal water, but again, I haven't needed them. OVS did over build it a bit. The hinges and swing rafters are very solid.

It is, honestly, the piece of gear that has made the single biggest difference in easy comfyness when the weather is nasty. The shade factor in the sun can't be overlooked either. I clip a little rechargeable fan to the pole and suddenly 105 heat index blazing sun, is a comfy shaded spot to sit and have a drink.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2022, 06:55:32 PM »
That's the exact tarp I use for my hammock camping setup.  Goes with my motorcycle on my trips.  We used that tarp, tied to the side of the Jeep and then to some nearby trees, last weekend as an improvised rain shelter. 

What do you mean by "wing type tarps?"  Dogmush's rig has me concerned about wind, though it does appear to be rather robustly built.  Those aluminum rafter supports do look beefy.

Wing type tarps are the non square tarps, like the Noah's Tarp. You can set them up so the wind is blocked or don't get lifted.

I've seen too many awnings ripped off campers during storms and rouge wind gusts to want to use one in winds over 15mph.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2022, 08:25:18 PM »
The Freak Show Tent is conduit pipes with frame members... I use a big 20x30 Harbor Freight tarp over the whole mess. I tie it down with the twist-in dog-tie stakes, and ratchet straps, with a few bungies at strategic spots to keep things taut.
Blog under construction

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2022, 09:45:50 PM »
I love it. You have about 8" of elevation "adjustment" at each of the vertical poles from the play in the hinges, so I use that to adjust my drainage to the desired spot. It has tiedowns that I put up if winds get over 10mph (ish) and tensioned down against the poles it's been rock solid in some pretty gusty storms.  I get coverage from the front of the drivers door, completely down the left side of the truck, and around the tailgate. It sticks out 9 or so feet from the truck at the wide part. I can have a table and chairs set up by my fire pit, and be cooking on the tailgate and it's all sheltered. I haven't bought them, but OVS has wall sections you can zip in and stake down if you get a lot of horizontal water, but again, I haven't needed them. OVS did over build it a bit. The hinges and swing rafters are very solid.

It is, honestly, the piece of gear that has made the single biggest difference in easy comfyness when the weather is nasty. The shade factor in the sun can't be overlooked either. I clip a little rechargeable fan to the pole and suddenly 105 heat index blazing sun, is a comfy shaded spot to sit and have a drink.

They should give you a commission.  I ordered one after your endorsement, and after reviewing several comparisons with other brands.

Thank you very much for your feedback.
--Lysander Spooner