Author Topic: Old Fashioned Cocktail  (Read 1699 times)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Old Fashioned Cocktail
« on: June 24, 2022, 06:38:08 PM »
I like them as couple sugar cubes, bitters, 2 Luxardo cherries and orange peel gently muddled together, giant ice cube, then topped with a couple ounces of good rye whisky and finally a gentle stir with a spoon.

I also like them SE IA style, sugar cube, bitters, cheap bourbon, ice, stir with a spoon, and top with club soda. Garnish with a cherry and orange slice.

Brandy old fashioned sweet Wisconsin style are good too, but I need to be in the land of cheese and beer.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Old Fashioned Cocktail
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2022, 07:56:18 PM »
I like them as couple sugar cubes, bitters, 2 Luxardo cherries and orange peel gently muddled together, giant ice cube, then topped with a couple ounces of good rye whisky and finally a gentle stir with a spoon.

I also like them SE IA style, sugar cube, bitters, cheap bourbon, ice, stir with a spoon, and top with club soda. Garnish with a cherry and orange slice.

Brandy old fashioned sweet Wisconsin style are good too, but I need to be in the land of cheese and beer.

I've started drinking WI style, not sure if it's brandy sour or brandy sweet; probably halfway between.  I add a little of the maraschino cherry juice to make it sweet, and I top-off with Fresca.  Haven't tried club soda yet.  I use E&J's VS brandy; I think in Wisconsin they usually use Korbel.

I use cheap cherries, not Luxardos.  I bought a jar of sour cherries from Aldi a few months ago, intending to make my own faux Luxardo cherries.  Boil the juice down with some sugar to a make thick heavy syrup, add a little Amoretto.  Pour over the cherries and let them age for a month.  (that might be nothing like a Luxardo cherry, but I think it will be close)
"It's good, though..."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2022, 08:09:06 PM »
Be curious how your cherries turn out.

Only time I get Luxardo cherries is if I get an old fashioned at one of the local cocktail lounges.

I've been thinking about trying to make my own with a jar of bing cherries drained and soaked in half bourbon and half kirchwasser.

Uranus is a gas giant.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2022, 09:05:34 PM »
I've never heard of Iowa style. :)  Cheap Canadian whisky be okay to sub for the bourbon?
"It's good, though..."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2022, 10:07:54 AM »
I've never heard of Iowa style. :)  Cheap Canadian whisky be okay to sub for the bourbon?

Probably just fine.

SE IA style, where I grew up and I've never had them made like that elsewhere. How you would get one in the neighborhood taverns.

Uranus is a gas giant.