Author Topic: ATF Comes for a Solvent Trap  (Read 1007 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
ATF Comes for a Solvent Trap
« on: August 28, 2022, 08:37:12 AM »
"We're not trying to be jerks".

Well, you kinda are.

"We'll find you again someday".

I think they guy handled it okay. He was firm, and the ATF didn't like it.

https://youtu.be/JJpa6D7OnDs
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
Re: ATF Comes for a Solvent Trap
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2022, 08:41:53 AM »
A blurred video with clear audio . . . I'm not 100% sure this is entirely on the level.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2022, 09:00:58 AM »
A blurred video with clear audio . . . I'm not 100% sure this is entirely on the level.

And you would be right to feel that way.
This popped up in my YT feed and a bunch of things in addition to the strangely blurry video are suspect. Things like after the "raid" the guy is still selling solvent trap parts and despite "20" agents "showing up" he wasn't charged/arrested as far as anyone can tell. Hmmmm

Starts to get to the meat of why it's suspect ~04:52

Gun Broker, Solvent Traps, FRTs, ATF Visits, Oh My
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjYSEnAANn0
« Last Edit: August 28, 2022, 09:38:05 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2022, 09:38:55 AM »
And you would be right to feel that way.
This popped up in my YT feed and a whole bunch of things in addition to the blurry video are highly suspect. Things like after the "raid" the guy is still selling solvent trap parts and despite "20" agents "showing up" he wasn't charged/arrested as far as anyone can tell. Hmmmm

Starts to get to the meat of why it's suspect ~04:52

Gun Broker, Solvent Traps, FRTs, ATF Visits, Oh My
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjYSEnAANn0

According to your video, the guy with 20 agents showing up was the trap seller. This guy bought a trap. At the end of your video, Crump comes back and says the ATF showed up at the guy's work as well.

I guess we can wait for more info, but I'm inclined to think that the GOA lawyers wouldn't let them throw a fake video out there.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2022, 09:40:27 AM »
Well poop, I may be crossing stuff up and zoned out a bit at key moments before coffee. Would not be the first time  :laugh:.

Note to self: Do not try to analyze videos and post before 2nd cup of coffee
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2022, 12:32:04 PM »
I don't get the facebook ads anymore but for a while they were non stop. I reported every one of them as prohibited content. No doubt some sort of algorithmic fishing expedition.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2022, 02:51:47 PM »
"Solvent trap..."

Just like a "brace."

Right...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2022, 04:17:34 PM »
"Solvent trap..."

Just like a "brace."

Right...
I have two, properly registered and pretty effective.  Your curmudgeon is showing.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2022, 04:55:04 PM »
I have two, properly registered and pretty effective.  Your curmudgeon is showing.

Registered as solvent traps, or as suppressors?

Effective as solvent traps, or as suppressors?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2022, 05:06:34 PM »
They were one, then became the other. Upon becoming the other they ceased to be good at doing the job of the one.

The ATF sees both one and the other as the same thing, despite one not working as the other until it no longer can operate as the one.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2022, 05:43:47 PM »
Registered as solvent traps, or as suppressors?

Effective as solvent traps, or as suppressors?

Registered as suppressors. You don't (or didn't) have to register a solvent trap.

Effective as both, although I don't obsessively clean (or really clean much at all) my main use rifles, so I don't use them as solvent traps much.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2022, 07:25:36 PM »

On an old stream, I heard a manufacturer (small) had to go to ATF headquarters to appeal a decision.  He said they had a model of the branch davidian compound on display there.  The model had no fire damage. 

Another guy on the same channel said he has had ATF auditors try to argue that raw tubing he had on site had to be registered/serial numbered. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2022, 03:01:34 AM »
"Solvent trap..."

Just like a "brace."

Right...

"Constitutional gun law."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2022, 07:13:04 AM »
"Constitutional gun law."

Be sure to tell yourself that while you're either on trial or being plowed by your cell mate.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2022, 03:24:17 PM »
Be sure to tell yourself that while you're either on trial or being plowed by your cell mate.
Cause the only people complain about unconstitutional laws are those who are breaking them.   =)

Mrgunsngear tested solvent traps on his channel.  If I remember right, the one he got for 22 LR did just fine.  The one for large calibers did not.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2022, 04:22:33 PM »
I've got something like 7000 rds through my 5.56 Solvent trap.  55gr M193.

My cheap Chinese aluminum "Fuel Filter" handles 9mm just fine.

Like anything else you need to tailor your materials and design for the intended use.  If you don't know how to do that, you should rethink making your own firearms.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2022, 04:53:38 PM »
No doubt about that.  I have not tried to go that route as I didn't want to mess with it.  There are some pretty inexpensive suppressor designs out there.  If the tax stamp and wait could be cut out (legally), it would be pretty easy to get into....especially if your goal was just to take the edge off the blast not being hearing safe. 

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2022, 07:31:39 PM »
No doubt about that.  I have not tried to go that route as I didn't want to mess with it.  There are some pretty inexpensive suppressor designs out there.  If the tax stamp and wait could be cut out (legally), it would be pretty easy to get into....especially if your goal was just to take the edge off the blast not being hearing safe.

That was the draw of the solvent trap kits. Eform 1s were getting a two week turn around, while form 4s were taking a year.

I dropped the form 1 on my first solvent trap the same week I dropped the form 4 on a Dead Air. I've been shooting the JK suppressor for a year, and haven't seen my Sandman yet.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2022, 09:58:11 PM »
When you are dealing with an agency that makes up law as they go along and changes it at a whim without having to consult with the legislature, doing things which are entirely within the letter of the law but that the ATF don’t like can certainly be a risk.

However, if my level of risk aversion requires avoiding any legal things the ATF doesn’t like then I guess I would have to count it a blessing if my favorite guns were revolvers in obsolete calibers.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2022, 08:56:49 AM »
That was the draw of the solvent trap kits. Eform 1s were getting a two week turn around, while form 4s were taking a year.

I dropped the form 1 on my first solvent trap the same week I dropped the form 4 on a Dead Air. I've been shooting the JK suppressor for a year, and haven't seen my Sandman yet.
My approval times have ranged from 3 months to over a year.  Once I had two stamps arrive at a dealer at the same time.  One was around 3 months, the other had been waiting about 11 months.  My first suppressor went to 10 months or so.  That was frustrating.  Almost makes you wish they would just set up an NFA license that would let you buy anything you want.  I guess that would bypass the "tax" fiction.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2022, 11:18:26 AM by MechAg94 »

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2022, 07:34:01 PM »
LIVE! Nick vs ATF!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SISNM4pVaGM

John Crump interviews Nick from the video in the OP.