Author Topic: Japan ex-PM Abe shot  (Read 5182 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Japan ex-PM Abe shot
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2022, 09:15:52 AM »
"I wonder how long the shooter is going to stay in a Japanese prison - what little I know about Jap prisons says they're highly regimented and not pleasant."

Japan still has the death penalty.

My guess is that this guy is going to have a pretty quick appointment with the rope.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2022, 09:16:53 AM »
Who shoots a former world leader? Makes one wonder what he was up to in retirement.

He was campaigning for another office.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2022, 09:18:43 AM »
"I wonder how long the shooter is going to stay in a Japanese prison - what little I know about Jap prisons says they're highly regimented and not pleasant."

Japan still has the death penalty.

My guess is that this guy is going to have a pretty quick appointment with the rope.

I don’t think they worry overmuch about preventing suicide.  The guy that ran through a politician with a sword in 1960 hanged him self.  They likely see that as a preferable outcome.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2022, 09:57:48 AM »
IIRC, Japan is on the "guilty unless proven innocent" train, and their trials are pretty swift.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2022, 10:12:21 AM »
Public execution with a sword perhaps? 

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2022, 10:13:36 AM »

Hanging is their preferred method nowadays
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2022, 10:15:04 AM »
Hanging is their preferred method nowadays
No fun….

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2022, 10:38:39 AM »
No fun….

Depends on who's doing it.

The trap door was small, causing head injuries to Keitel and several other condemned men as they dropped.[53] Many of the executed Nazis fell from the gallows with insufficient force to snap their necks, resulting in convulsions that in Keitel's case lasted 24 minutes
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilhelm_Keitel

His hanging was performed by John C. Woods who became famous for apparently having zero clue on how to a perform a hanging other than knowing  a rope was somehow involved. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_C._Woods
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2022, 10:40:18 AM »

Pretty sure beheading was dropped as an execution method in the aftermath of World War II.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2022, 10:59:26 AM »
Video towards the top.
You can see him turn to look behind him after the first shot right before the 2nd
Clearest video I have yet to see of the incident. all the other show almost nothing but an extreme close up of his head.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10994501/Shinzo-Abe-dead-Japans-former-prime-minister-dies-shot.html
« Last Edit: July 08, 2022, 11:11:39 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2022, 12:41:45 PM »
Hospital press conference

A doctor revealed Abe bled out after medical staff spent more than four hours trying to save his life

Two wounds were found towards the front of Abe's neck on the right side, the doctor said, with one deep enough that it reached his heart
    There was also damage to Abe's shoulder but no bullets were found during surgery
The suspect

The shooter, quickly identified as unemployed Tetsuya Yamagami, was arrested on suspicion of attempted murder
    Police later said that the 41-year-old admitted to having an issue with an "specific organisation", which he believed Abe to be a part of
    Investigations are ongoing to ascertain if Yamagami acted alone

Police press conference

Police said their investigation had a dedicated 90-person taskforce
    Yamagami admitted to shooting Abe with a homemade gun, they said, but wouldn't confirm whether a 3D printer was used to make it
    He travelled to Nara by train, but police could not say when he arrived
    As well as guns, explosives were found in Yamagami's home, prompting police to evacuate the area until it was declared safe
https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-asia-62088876
- Calvin and Hobbes

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2022, 01:01:14 PM »
https://twitter.com/BNONews/status/1545255739345850368

Considering the cloud of grayish-white smoke when that gun was fired, it may have used black powder.  As far as igniters, the electrically-powered ones they use for model rockets should work well for that use.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2022, 01:38:50 PM »
Considering the cloud of grayish-white smoke when that gun was fired, it may have used black powder.  As far as igniters, the electrically-powered ones they use for model rockets should work well for that use.

As recently as 2000, to the best of my knowledge, model rockets were not allowed in Japan.  My Japanese boss' son went nuts over the rocketry hobby here in the USA when I introduced him to it.  My boss told me that they could not fly model rockets in Japan.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2022, 01:42:28 PM »
You can set off black powder with a twist of 0000 steel wool wired into a battery.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2022, 02:43:40 PM »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2022, 03:12:28 PM »
nipponese are weird
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2022, 05:09:49 PM »
You can set off black powder with a twist of 0000 steel wool wired into a battery.

I've heard of that as an option for preppers as a 9V battery can be used when the steel wool is wrapped around some kind of tinder to keep the initial fire going.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2022, 06:56:08 PM »
Herrrrrrrrre's Joe B

Joe Biden claims that the assassination of Former Prime Minister of Japan Shinzo Abe is "is the first use of a weapon to murder someone in in Japan." pic.twitter.com/YOHWTv90K0

— Townhall.com (@townhallcom) July 8, 2022
https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2022/07/08/hopelessly-lost-joe-biden-attempts-to-use-statistics-in-order-to-make-shinzo-abe-assassination-all-about-americas-history-of-violence-video/

:facepalm:

- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2022, 10:12:16 PM »
Made the mistake of taking a peek at the comment section for The Truth About Gun's article on this.
No shortage of booger eating morons on both sides.  :facepalm:
- Calvin and Hobbes

zahc

• friend
« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2022, 12:53:21 AM »
The sentiment in the news sources above, which try to pass Abe as a right-wing Trump counterpart, are way way off.

Japan is generally a conservative country when it comes to social order. Abe was considered one of the most progressive prime ministers in a long time, committed to pulling Japan towards globalization, which is sold as one potential solution to Japan's concerns about staying relevant in the modern world.

Abe was pro-trump because trump was anti-china. That's it; it's that simple. Japan relies on US for its security guarantee and instability in the US and pro-china sentiment makes them very nervous. That's easy and as far as tge Trump link goes.

Abe was generally progressive and globalist. He opened up to cheaper rice imports from abroad. He opened up tourism, especially for the rest of Asia. When I went to Kyoto in about 2019, the usual serene tourist spots were swarming with Chinese and Korean tourists wearing fake kimonos and taking selfies in rude spots. He also loosened immigration, or at least what's considered loosening in Japan.

Right now visas are still shut down with Covid as the excuse and I think they like it that way.

If this guy that shot him was politically motivated, it's probably more likely to be someone who disagrees with his globalists policies. I.e. someone more right wing. Not somebody who assassinated him for being too right wing.

Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine