Author Topic: Special beverage glasses...  (Read 2920 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Special beverage glasses...
« on: July 10, 2022, 11:33:58 PM »
Okayfine - you need the special stuffs for your champagne, your different wines,  your brandys, and all the other fun stuff... I think the microbrewery up the street probably has a half-dozen different shapes of glassware.

I'm enjoying their very fine Baltic Porter this evening - got a growler of it yesterday.

It's in a foam coffee cup. And it is still damn good.
Blog under construction

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Special beverage glasses...
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2022, 11:48:26 PM »
Okayfine - you need the special stuffs for your champagne, your different wines,  your brandys, and all the other fun stuff... I think the microbrewery up the street probably has a half-dozen different shapes of glassware.

I'm enjoying their very fine Baltic Porter this evening - got a growler of it yesterday.

You can get some good pilsner glasses, stemless wine glasses, and long-stemmed iced tea glasses at the dollar store.  I'm drinking a bottle of Leffe right now in Dollar Tree stemware.  The 20 oz stemless wine glasses are my favorite general-purpose glasses, and they are a good size for a pint of beer.
"It's good, though..."

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2022, 10:30:17 AM »
I don’t need special glasses, I had Lasik in 2008
I'll drink out of any clean vessel.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2022, 11:05:40 AM by Kingcreek »
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2022, 10:10:34 PM »

As far as coffee goes, I've learned to appreciate the Styrofoam cup. When I use a plastic or metal travel cup, I'm distracted by the flavor of the cup, itself. Also, for some reason I prefer the softer feeling of Styrofoam over a rigid cup.

Also, what's with the gigantic coffee mugs I see for sale everywhere these days? Not travel cups, but open-top, ceramic mugs. I try to find a small mug, and fill it halfway. By the time I'm finished, my last swig is still hot, and I can go back for more.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2022, 07:18:07 AM »
My coffee cup is a ceramic Subaru mug, oversize, that one of my coworkers got for me a couple of years ago. He got into the Subaru Ambassador program at a time when they were giving away swag like crazy. I got the mug, a hat, and a folding water bowl for Seren that I use in the car.

For many years my favorite summer Gin & Tonic glass was a 24-ounce iced tea glass.

It was a tragic, tragic day when I broke it.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2022, 11:09:31 AM »
For iced tea, or soda, I usually use a half-gallon insulated truck stop mug, and just fill it with ice first. Winter, I usually use a 32oz glass "beer stein" for the bevvies.

I like lots of ice. I have toyed with the idea of putting in some sort of non-fridge ice maker. The best ice is the bagged ice you can ask for at Sonic drive-ins...

Coffee? I have coffee cups, but I usually just  use the styrofoam ones, since they require less thought pre-covfefe...

I used to have a bunch of very heavy beer mugs and a friend's wife was absolutely horrified that I used them for coffee... She was sure they would shatter...
Blog under construction

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2022, 09:50:41 PM »
Beer in the bottle it came in, frosty mug if it's on tap. Whisky belongs in a rocks glass.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2022, 02:17:34 AM »
My Rocks glasses came with my Christmas whiskey... Some say Jim Beam, some say Knob Creek.

None of them say Fred Flintstone.

https://youtu.be/KIpRNWJllxs
Blog under construction

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2022, 05:58:49 PM »
My Rocks glasses came with my Christmas whiskey... Some say Jim Beam, some say Knob Creek.

None of them say Fred Flintstone.

https://youtu.be/KIpRNWJllxs

Sing it possum.
7-11 was a part time job.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2022, 11:07:25 PM »
I have a set of Waterford tumblers that I drink liquor from when I'm feeling fancy.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2022, 11:59:05 PM »
Glencairns are the BEST for whisky, and probably brandy and other pot still produced liquors. 

Beyond that I’m not too picky.  Mason jars are great for canned or legged beer.  Or almost anything fizzy really (though I despise sodas no matter what it’s in). 

I have some insulated steel drinking things that are shaped like stemless wine glasses.  Awesome for beer in the summer as it stays cold a lot longer.  Or it’ll fit about half a bottle of wine.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2022, 02:23:55 PM »
All this talk of glasses, fancy or not. Just what is wrong with drinking from the vessel the beverage comes in? If you are embarrassed by doing that then just put the bottle in a paper bag.

bob

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2022, 02:34:29 PM »
All this talk of glasses, fancy or not. Just what is wrong with drinking from the vessel the beverage comes in? If you are embarrassed by doing that then just put the bottle in a paper bag.

bob

Nothing wrong with drinking from the bottle, but I think it tastes better out of a glass or mug.  Probably because you can smell it that way. 
"It's good, though..."

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2022, 02:46:08 PM »
And... Compared to bottle or can,  you can drink if faster from a glass... When i was doing Santa, I'd get home at about 10pm, or 11 if I stopped off... My wakeup was at 0700... I'd stop off at a pub near my house, have some chow and three beers... Head for ho ho ho home, and crash...
Blog under construction

HankB

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2022, 10:56:16 PM »
I'd like a BattleMug, but the real ones are too expensive at $189 (without handle) and the cheap metal knock-offs are rumored to leach heavy metals into the contents.

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain