Author Topic: Steve Bannon Guilty of Contempt of Congress  (Read 1291 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Steve Bannon Guilty of Contempt of Congress
« on: July 22, 2022, 04:48:24 PM »
He's reportedly facing one month to one year in prison for each instance. As the comments mention, hello Eric Holder. If Bannon gets jail time, I wonder if his lawyers can use the lefties all getting a get out of jail free card as leverage?

I'm not sure I even understand what contempt of Congress is. If I were in a position that would get me called before congress, I would do everything I could to ignore it. As far as I can tell, this testifying before congress has been nothing but a circus and PR event for congressionals for at least a few decades.

https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2022/07/22/ny-times-journo-says-steve-bannon-verdicts-prove-that-defying-a-congressional-subpoena-creates-consequences-exceptions-apply/

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
Re: Steve Bannon Guilty of Contempt of Congress
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2022, 03:46:39 AM »
I, personally, have nothing BUT contempt for Congress!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2022, 06:59:55 AM »
The problem isn't with showing contempt for Congress . . . the problem is trying to hide it.

Sounds like the trial took place in a real kangaroo court - the judge basically ruled Bannon couldn't say anything in his own defense.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2022, 03:53:58 PM »
The problem isn't with showing contempt for Congress . . . the problem is trying to hide it.

Sounds like the trial took place in a real kangaroo court - the judge basically ruled Bannon couldn't say anything in his own defense.

I believe this was the same judge involved in the General Flynn nonsense. He has demonstrated bias before and shouldn’t even be on the bench.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2022, 11:02:06 PM »

What?

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2022, 12:24:41 AM »
Is there any rational explanation for this other than outright political lawfare?

We’re edging ever closer to people like Bannon being “disappeared” rather than bothering with trial.  God help us once that starts.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2022, 12:31:20 AM »
It should be overturned pretty easy. An anti-trump jury and a judge that didn't let him have a defense.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2022, 07:16:27 AM »
What?
https://www.businessinsider.com/steve-bannon-trial-house-january-6-contempt-congress-appeal-2022-7?IR=T&r=US&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=yahoo.com

A series of pretrial rulings has left Bannon virtually defenseless, precluding him from presenting a number of arguments his defense lawyers hoped to raise. At a hearing in Washington, DC, last week that eviscerated many of Bannon's planned defenses, US District Court Judge Carl Nichols ruled that his lawyers could not argue that executive privilege excused his refusal to sit for questioning or turn over records to the House January 6 committee.

Nichols, a Trump appointee confirmed in 2019, similarly prevented Bannon's defense team from arguing that his past role as former President Donald Trump's chief White House strategist justified his defiance. The judge also forbade Bannon's lawyers from pointing to internal Justice Department memos describing limits on congressional subpoenas, and he extinguished the onetime Trump advisor's hope of calling House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and other lawmakers to testify.

Months earlier, Nichols ruled that Bannon could not argue he decided not to comply with the House committee's subpoena based on the advice of his lawyer.

I didn't know that defense lawyers were required to clear their planned defense with the judge ahead of time - it just doesn't seem right to me. It seems like this was one judicial appointment Trump screwed up.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2022, 07:22:02 AM »
Is there any rational explanation for this other than outright political lawfare?

We’re edging ever closer to people like Bannon being “disappeared” rather than bothering with trial.  God help us once that starts.

I just saw that Cheney is calling specific testimony (guess which political side) to her committee "confessions", just like totalitarian tribunals do.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2022, 01:38:45 PM »
https://www.businessinsider.com/steve-bannon-trial-house-january-6-contempt-congress-appeal-2022-7?IR=T&r=US&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=yahoo.com

I didn't know that defense lawyers were required to clear their planned defense with the judge ahead of time - it just doesn't seem right to me. It seems like this was one judicial appointment Trump screwed up.

Sounds like there is some very screwed up precedent that ties his hands.  I agree on the first part.  I do not know why the defense has to present that stuff to the court beforehand.
"If this were a matter of first impression, the Court might be inclined to agree with [Bannon] and allow this evidence in," Nichols wrote.

An appeal from Bannon could present the DC Circuit with an opportunity to revisit that precedent.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge