Author Topic: I took a nap, and had the best dream ever.  (Read 4296 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
I took a nap, and had the best dream ever.
« on: July 23, 2022, 12:43:18 AM »
I was back in college, and the dorm had a pizza delivery service.

It was lunch lady pizza.

https://youtu.be/mRuFchtVpZE
Blog under construction

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: I took a nap, and had the best dream ever.
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2022, 07:58:01 AM »
Other than doubling the meat, I kinda want to try that, just for nostalgia's sake.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Big Hairy Bee

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2022, 10:17:41 AM »
Ditto, now I want some.  Love the service at the end!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2022, 01:20:55 PM »
The recipe was in the comments, along with a suggestion to add 8 ounces of Italian sausage:

For those looking for the recipe, you can use the wayback machine and plug the website in there. Alternatively, I already did it and here it is copy and pasted:

Half sheet pan and line with parchment paper.

Crust: 

2 ⅔ flour
¾ cup powdered milk
2 T sugar
1 packet of quick rise yeast
1 tsp salt
1 ⅔ cup warm water (105-110 degrees)
2 T vegetable oil

Filling:

½ pound ground chuck

½ tsp salt

½ tsp pepper

1 8oz block mozzarella cheese – grated yourself  (To be authentic school pizza, you will have to use imitation mozzarella shreds.)

Sauce (I make sauce the day before):

6oz can tomato paste
1 cup water
⅓ olive oil
2 cloves garlic minced
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
½ tbsp dried oregano
½ tbsp dried basil
½ tsp dried rosemary crushed

Crust:

Preheat oven to 475 degrees.  Spray pan with Pam and lay Parchment paper down (Pam makes it stick)
In a large bowl – flour, powdered milk, sugar, yeast, salt – whisk to blend
Add oil to hot water (110-115 degrees) – pour into your mixture
Stir with a wooden spoon until batter forms – don’t worry about lumps – you just want no dry spots
Spread dough into pan using fingertips until it’s even.  If dough doesn’t want to cooperate, let rest 5 minutes and try again
Bake just the crust for 8-10 minutes – remove from oven and set aside.
Brown meats until it resembles crumbles – set aside and drain meat
Get out the pizza sauce – to partially baked crust, assemble:
Sauce – spread all over crust
Sprinkle meats
Sprinkle cheese
Bake at 475 degrees for 8-10 minutes until cheese melts and begins to brown
Remove from oven – let stand 5 minutes
Cut in slices and serve!

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2022, 01:40:44 PM »
Thanks for posting the recipe, Millcreek!

I am for sure making it next weekend (after I work through all the damn garden zucchini I have right now!). I like the added sausage idea. I don't think I can bring myself to use the fake mozzarella though, even if it is authentic.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2022, 02:03:57 PM »
Thanks for posting the recipe, Millcreek!

I am for sure making it next weekend (after I work through all the damn garden zucchini I have right now!). I like the added sausage idea. I don't think I can bring myself to use the fake mozzarella though, even if it is authentic.  :laugh:

My ex-wife is a dietitian and she ran a 20,000 student school district foodservice operation for several years, and I always called her the 'head lunch lady'.  She could go on and on about the Federal School Lunch Program nutrition requirements they had to follow, such as the low-fat restrictions, requiring imitation cheese in many dishes.  She always said the nutrition requirements were fine up until the point that the kids won't eat the food.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2022, 02:55:39 PM »
"She always said the nutrition requirements were fine up until the point that the kids won't eat the food."

After nutrition mandates changed during the Obama administration several school districts in Central Pennsylvania saw something like a 40 to 60% drop in students buying school lunches and the amount of food that was thrown out went through the roof.

There were also a significant number of complaints from students and parents that the portion sizes were simply too small to cover the nutritional needs of the student athletes.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2022, 07:32:26 PM »
When I was at St. Andrews, most of the "lunch ladies" were parents or relatives of kids attending the private grade school.

We ate pretty damn well, all things considered. Especially when Carmen's mom was in the kitchen. Italian.
Blog under construction

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2022, 08:16:44 PM »
I didn't care for the pizza they served us in school.

Just meh.

The fish sandwiches, on the other hand?

Still the best damned fish sandwiches I have ever had.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2022, 11:05:00 AM »
Were the pizza slices big rectangular slabs, or were they pie shaped? Lunch lady pizza is slabs.

We also had one of the cooks who made some absolutely killer cinnamon rolls...
Blog under construction

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2022, 04:02:26 PM »
"Were the pizza slices big rectangular slabs, or were they pie shaped? Lunch lady pizza is slabs."

Five-dimension octahedrons...

The fish sandwiches, on the other hand, were quantum coupled, and were epic in more than 20 dimensions.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2022, 10:24:57 AM »
When I was at St. Andrews, most of the "lunch ladies" were parents or relatives of kids attending the private grade school.

We ate pretty damn well, all things considered. Especially when Carmen's mom was in the kitchen. Italian.
I went to a parochial school for grades 1-8. There was NO lunchroom, kids all had to bring their own lunches from home - usually a sandwich, sometimes I'd have a thermos of soup. On rare occasions, some idiot teacher would criticize some kid's lunch - that didn't go over very well.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2022, 10:36:52 AM »
I bought all the ingredients for lunch lady pizza yesterday. Only changes were real mozzarella and a package of sweet Italian sausage to go with the ground meat. I will be cooking it up tomorrow.  =)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2022, 12:07:42 PM »
That was my mom's version of pizza, even before she worked as a lunch lady. I think I've had enough.

I would love to have some more of those pizzas they served at my schools' cafeterias in the 80s and 90s. They were like an oversized, deep-fried Hot Pocket. Or a rectangular calzone.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2022, 12:28:57 PM »
I never cared much for the pizza they served us in school. It was too bready for me.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2022, 12:43:51 PM »
Dude, you would LOVE St. Louis then...

https://www.imospizza.com/what-is-st-louis-style-pizza/

Blog under construction

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2022, 01:36:20 PM »
^^^I have heard good things about Provel cheese, and as far as I have looked, it does not seem to be available in the Seattle area.  I would love to try it.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2022, 02:15:06 PM »
Detractors of the Imo (and I am in that group) refer to it as "spackle on a cracker."

They do mail order. Go ahead.

My house is within a mile of the original place.

I prefer Moz...
Blog under construction

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2022, 04:38:45 PM »
Dude, you would LOVE St. Louis then...

https://www.imospizza.com/what-is-st-louis-style-pizza/

That does sound like it would really hit the spot.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2022, 09:16:17 PM »
My all-time favorite pizza... I used to live a couple of blocks up the street.

https://joebolognas.com/menu/
Blog under construction

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2022, 02:53:55 PM »
Well heck, that was not bad at all. I kept really wanting to add extras as I was making it, but forced myself to stay somewhat true to the recipe as written. Again, my only changes were real mozzarella and making the meat 2/3 ground meat and 1/3 sweet Italian sausage. I did use double the meat and I'm guessing double the cheese they would have used.

I had the opposite problem the lady in the video had, in that I thought the recipe dough was too dry, and I added another 1/3 cup of hot water. I could probably have even gone with more water, as my dough did not flow at all like the dough in the video. It still came out alright though.

Anyway, fun recipe.  =)

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2022, 08:20:55 PM »
I made it tonight at my mom's house.  Instead of hamburger meat or sausage (which really ought to have fennel seeds added) or both, I used pepperoni and sliced serrano peppers because I had those already.  I also used a 14 oz jar of HEB traditional pizza sauce.  The crust, I made just like it says.  It burned during the 2nd baking because the pan I used was black instead of shiny aluminum, but it didn't burn badly enough to taste bitter.  I think it's definitely worth another try.
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2022, 08:50:51 PM »
Next time that I make it, I plan on mixing it up with toppings as well. I guess it won't be lunch lady pizza anymore, but one of the things I liked best about the recipe is that the dough prep was so fast for a pretty decent dough. While it did it's first bake, I had the sauce made and all the ingredients prepped and ready to throw on for the second bake.

Now that the local pizza joint closed and the closest pizza place is 30 miles away, making a pizza like this is way faster then getting takeout, and I don't have to warm it back up after I get home. In fact this pizza takes less time to make than it takes just to get to the pizza place, let alone there and back home.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2022, 09:00:27 PM »
I never cared much for the pizza they served us in school. It was too bready for me.
You would love Chicago pizza then, the pizza that everyone eats regularly, not the deep dish. Tavern style.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2022, 09:07:28 AM »
After Ben finishes his lunch lady pizza, maybe he would like some lunch lady peanut butter bars:

https://1strecipes.com/recipes/school-lunch-peanut-butter-bars/?fbclid=IwAR03Zr0pcZYCLiFp9ve2EvLSrwrMqaXT2j979hLFaVukKvIohYhBS_LhFg0

School Lunch Peanut Butter Bars

Ingredients:

1 1/2 C Flour
1¼ tsp. Salt
½ tsp. Baking Soda
¾ C Butter
¾ C Sugar
¾ C Brown Sugar
1 ½ tsp. Vanilla
1 1/2 C Creamy Peanut Butter (split)
2 Eggs
1 ½ C Quick Oats

Frosting:

½ C Butter (1 stick)
3 ½ C Powdered Sugar
2 T Cocoa
¼ C Milk (I use whatever I have in the fridge)
1 tsp. Vanilla

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a small mixing bowl, mix together flour, baking soda and salt. In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter, sugars, 3/4 C peanut butter, eggs and vanilla until light and fluffy. Gradually add dry ingredients, just until incorporated. Then, stir in the oats. Spread onto a greased 11 x 15 Jelly Roll Pan (cookie sheet). Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes.

The frosting is a two step process. First, whip the remaning ¾ C Creamy Peanut Butter until it becomes lighter colored and fluffy. Carefully spread the whipped peanut butter over the pan cookie.

Then, add butter to a small sauce pan and melt the butter. Add the milk and cocoa. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly. Heat just until boiling. Remove from heat and add vanilla. Then, gradually add the powdered sugar. Stir until thickened. Pour over the peanut butter and gently spread over the cookie. Cool completely, and slice into bar cookies.