Author Topic: How To Destroy Trust - a Primer  (Read 1522 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
How To Destroy Trust - a Primer
« on: July 29, 2022, 05:11:18 PM »
Let's start with the headline:

Cities deploy Google-made smart-city stickers to build trust in IoT surveillance tech

Because everyone trusts Google. Sure.

Then:
A statement from the World Economic Forum, which is supporting the DTPR standard via its ‘global action plan’ to “strengthen global governance and innovation of IoT”, said: “DTPR is an initiative that allows the public to understand and interact with smart technologies installed in their cities.

What's not to trust?

I just thought it was funny that no one at "Enterprise IoT Insights" seems aware of how suspicious people are of Google, the WEF, or "global governance."

https://enterpriseiotinsights.com/20220714/smart-cities/cities-deploy-google-made-smart-city-stickers-to-build-trust-in-iot-surveillance-tech
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

HankB

• friend
Re: How To Destroy Trust - a Primer
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2022, 05:28:50 PM »
It's not really clear what these "smart stickers" actually do. There's mention of facial recognition technology, but unless the stickers include some sort of camera, that's not happening. Do they sense things akin to an RFID component they want people to carry around so they can be tracked? Or do they ping nearby cell phones?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2022, 05:34:09 PM »
NOT IN/ON MY VEHICLE!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2022, 09:20:53 PM »
If you commute in a major city that has tool roads, you probably already have a tracker on your car, right?
Blog under construction

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2022, 09:55:54 PM »
Do you have a phone in your pocket?
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2022, 10:15:22 PM »
It's not really clear what these "smart stickers" actually do. There's mention of facial recognition technology, but unless the stickers include some sort of camera, that's not happening. Do they sense things akin to an RFID component they want people to carry around so they can be tracked? Or do they ping nearby cell phones?

The stickers are on "smart" technology, probably street lights. There's a lot of talk/experimentation around using LED street lights and cameras and such to collect all manner of data.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2022, 10:21:59 PM »
Easy enough to leave the phone at home if you feel being tracked would be "inconvenient" and drive something that doesn't have built in GPS.
I need to research my 2015 Wrangler some more. Can the vehicle be tracked via the GPS/radio and can I just pull the radio fuse and disable the GPS...?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2022, 10:09:30 AM »
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2022, 09:52:14 PM »
If you are going to store your phone in a potato chip bag you have to leave it in the potato chip bag.
Only if you need to use it.  At least you wouldn't be constantly tracked (theoretically). 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2022, 12:44:00 AM »
Many years ago, I heard about a way to mess with all of these cameras.  The article said that using infrared (IR) LEDs would interfere with the camera's ability to "see" your license plate, or your face.  What I don't remember was what type of IR was used (near, mid, far).
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

JN01

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2022, 10:53:08 PM »
Many years ago, I heard about a way to mess with all of these cameras.  The article said that using infrared (IR) LEDs would interfere with the camera's ability to "see" your license plate, or your face.  What I don't remember was what type of IR was used (near, mid, far).

When the camera picks up your IR obliterated face, it will trigger an AI controlled drone strike on you.  =)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2022, 11:16:50 AM »
When the camera picks up your IR obliterated face, it will trigger an AI controlled drone strike on you.  =)

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2022, 11:23:42 AM »
Most vehicles nowadays have some type of recording function built into their CANBUS controllers. It's not a long stretch to believe the Fed.Gov will soon require GPS data to be an included PID, and that's presuming manufacturers don't already do it.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB