Author Topic: Unexpected backup power test  (Read 213 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Unexpected backup power test
« on: March 29, 2023, 11:04:11 AM »
Had an impromptu test of the home theater system's UPS last night courtesy of a neighborhood power outage. What with having our office, comms, and home theater stuff on UPSs, I figured you bozos would like the data as a real-world reference.

Home Theater System Components
LG 65" NanoCell 90 TV (model 65NANO90UNA)
Yamaha RS-A1080 receiver
XBox Series X
Panasonic blu-ray player (model DP-UB820-K)
D-Link 8 port switch
ASUS 1900 wifi router.
Small USB fan

UPS
APC BX1500M (the no-frills 1500VA unit)

Results
All HT components were plugged in but powered off. The router and network switch remained active. In this configuration, the UPS indicated 241 minutes runtime. I figure there will be some amount of error, so call it 220 just for the headroom. Powering on the TV and receiver as a test, runtime dropped to 75 minutes.

Our office setup is also on a 1500VA UPS. With everything powered off except the UVerse modem/gateway and an ASUS 1900 router, indicated runtime was 267 minutes (allowing around 240 to account for error). UVerse comes in on self-powered legacy copper so our internet access remained active during the outage.

Conclusion
With everything powered down except the network gear, we have four solid hours of internet/comms with both routers running. If I expected the outage to run longer, I could pull the downstairs UPS right away and keep it as a power reserve for the upstairs UPS. I might even be able to daisy-chain them so the failover is automatic (never tried, but it's an interesting scenario). That gives a solid 7+ hours comms on UPS power. Should the outage be accompanied by generator failure or I have to drive a ways for extra generator fuel, that's a nice safety margin. It's also enough time to semi-mothball the house and make alternate domicile arrangements if things have gone completely pear-shaped. In that event I'd throw both in the truck as last-resort portable emergency power. I can recharge them from the truck's 110 outlet.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Unexpected backup power test
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2023, 11:45:22 AM »
I can recharge them from the truck's 110 outlet.

My Jeep has an AC inverter and 110 outlet, but it's only rated for something like 150 watts; what is your truck's inverter rated to provide?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2023, 11:52:56 AM »
It's 400 watts. Not enough to power anything big, but plenty good enough to charge a UPS.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2023, 12:22:39 PM »
Do you know the rate at which the UPS expects to be able to charge?

I don't have a UPS, but I do have an EcoFlow Delta 2 battery bank and inverter.  Given the opportunity, it'll try and pull 1200 watts out of the wall.  It charges REALLY fast.  I can go into its configuration and throttle that down if I am plugging it into a smaller inverter or a crowded circuit.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2023, 12:43:09 PM »
White sheet lists battery charge at 11w. Charge rate seems supported by the stated 16 hr typical recharge time.

https://www.apc.com/us/en/product/BX1500M/apc-back-ups-1500-compact-tower-1500va-120v-avr-lcd-10-nema-outlets-5-surge/
(Documentation links near the page top)

Brad
-HankB