Author Topic: Supreme Court Finally Ready to Hear Argument that Only Legislatures Have Right t  (Read 509 times)

MechAg94

• friend
HUGE DEVELOPMENT: Supreme Court Finally Ready to Hear Argument that Only Legislatures Have Right to Update Election Law – Not Leftist Judges or Executive Branch
https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2022/07/two-years-late-supreme-court-finally-ready-look-argument-legislatures-right-update-election-law-not-judges-executive-branch/

The article has links to other reports. 

The high court announced it would take up the case, known as Moore vs. Harper, brought by North Carolina’s Republican state House speaker who has challenged the state Supreme Court’s decision to dismiss the legislature’s congressional maps that would have given the party an advantage through partisan gerrymandering.

The North Carolina Supreme Court in February ruled that the legislative maps, which gave Republicans as many as 11 safe districts compared to just three for Democrats, violated the state’s constitution in a 4-3 decision.

Looks like people are thinking this case will decide the question of whether legislatures have the ultimate authority in election laws versus courts.  I am not entirely sure why they think the SC will rule in such a way.  At the speed these things happen, I guess we won't know the answer for a while.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
They need to be narrow. X state law said this but your executive or judicial branch did this. I think the states need to be able to do their own oversight because the alternative might start out sounding like a big own of "leftist judges" but turn out to be a boon to leftist (or rightist) legislatures. And open the door to that lefty wet dream of federal oversight. Let the several states gather their own folks at the statehouse and may the best tar and pitchforks win.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

MechAg94

• friend
I wouldn't expect them SC to make a decision like that.  Saying there is zero court oversight is highly unlikely.

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge