Author Topic: Head of Al Qaeda killed by CIA drone strike in Afghanistan  (Read 1238 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Last Edit: August 01, 2022, 06:17:32 PM by MillCreek »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Head of Al Qaeda killed by CIA drone strike in Afghanistan
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2022, 06:04:57 PM »
Here's to hoping this isn't another where a few days later we're apologizing for spattering an innocent family of 5 over the landscape.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2022, 07:48:35 PM »
bin Laden, outside of Abbottabad

Zawahri outside of Kabul

Next guy 10 years from now,outside of Kabul?

Tell me again why we are sending a single penny of aid to that country?

bob

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2022, 08:41:48 PM »
Man that Biden is based, standing up to China sending Pelosi and killing terrorists. He's a bad *expletive deleted*ss.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2022, 08:44:59 PM »
Let’s all take a minute to mourn the death of another austere religious scholar
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2022, 11:10:02 PM »
Let’s all take a minute to mourn the death of another austere religious scholar
Man that Biden is based, standing up to China sending Pelosi and killing terrorists. He's a bad *expletive deleted*ss.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: [ar15] [ar15] [ar15] [ar15] [ar15] [ar15] [ar15] :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2022, 01:33:47 PM »
State Department has issued an updated worldwide travel caution, in large part because of the drone strike.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2022, 03:15:56 PM »
Looks like they got him with an AGM-114R9X, the purely kinetic variant of the Hellfire that has the pop-out blades on it.
I promise not to duck.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2022, 03:39:42 PM »
https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2022/08/02/the-nyt-stealth-edited-one-embarrassing-detail-of-its-write-up-on-the-targeted-assassination-of-ayman-al-zawahiri/

I’m hearing 11 dead in US drone attack - two died of injuries at the NDS Hospital in Kabul & 9 killed outright. Two members of Sirajuddin Haqqani's family were among those killed which is now fuelling rumours this was also an attack on Sirajuddin Haqqani.

This was posted in one of the twitchy links.  It was just someone's tweet, but would a kinetic missile kill that many people?  Maybe. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2022, 04:49:33 PM »
If it brought the whole shitty mud hut down, sure.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2022, 05:02:19 PM »
https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2022/08/02/the-nyt-stealth-edited-one-embarrassing-detail-of-its-write-up-on-the-targeted-assassination-of-ayman-al-zawahiri/

This was posted in one of the twitchy links.  It was just someone's tweet, but would a kinetic missile kill that many people?  Maybe.

Just have to pack enough kinetics into a big enough kinetic missile and you could take out the whole planet.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2022, 05:17:45 PM »
Looks like they got him with an AGM-114R9X, the purely kinetic variant of the Hellfire that has the pop-out blades on it.

Gives new meaning to the word "chopper," don't it?

https://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/munitions/agm-114r9x.htm
« Last Edit: August 03, 2022, 05:51:25 PM by 230RN »

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2022, 06:45:27 PM »
Here's to hoping this isn't another where a few days later we're apologizing for spattering an innocent family of 5 over the landscape.

Didn't this guy die back in 2020?

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/13251511/al-qaeda-leader-ayman-al-zawahiri-dies-asthma/
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2022, 09:59:56 PM »
If it brought the whole shitty mud hut down, sure.
He was staying with a New York Times Contributing opinion writer.  I doubt it was a hut.  Just thinking a normal explosive missile is more likely.  Depends on which facts are actually true.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2022, 12:53:53 AM »
He was staying with a New York Times Contributing opinion writer.  I doubt it was a hut.  Just thinking a normal explosive missile is more likely.  Depends on which facts are actually true.
Not bad for a mud hut.

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2022, 11:25:15 PM »
‘Oh *expletive deleted*it that’s my house’ — Iraq vet realizes Al Qaeda chief was killed while living in his old home
https://taskandpurpose.com/news/army-veteran-al-qaeda-chief-house/?utm_term=Task%26Purpose_Today_08.04.22&utm_campaign=Task%20%26%20Purpose_TPToday_Actives_Dynamic&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email

“It got reported he was killed in Sherpur, and they circled the broader neighborhood and I’m like, ‘That’s the neighborhood we lived in. Oh *expletive deleted*it, that’s my house,’” Smock, an Army veteran, told Task & Purpose. “And it’s like, ‘He died on the balcony.’ Well, understandable, it’s a nice balcony.”

From the comments:
It ain't your house anymore. You may have left your mark on the place, but now it has Zawahiri all over it.
=D

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2022, 06:32:02 AM »
If CIA wants to take out a lot more Taliban, Hezbollah, and Al Queda operatives they just need to drop a couple of missiles on 620 Eighth Avenue in New York City.

It's what is affectionately known as a "target rich environment."
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2023, 10:35:56 AM »
Whoops

US military walks back claims that it killed a top al-Qaeda boss in drone strike as family of dead Syrian insist 'kind bricklayer' was tending to sheep when he was killed by Hellfire missile
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12102529/US-military-walks-claims-killed-al-Qaeda-boss-drone-strike.html
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2023, 11:18:54 AM »
Much like Michael Brown was a "gentle giant" that never hurt anyone.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

HankB

• friend
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2023, 12:19:15 PM »
If CIA wants to take out a lot more Taliban, Hezbollah, and Al Queda operatives they just need to drop a couple of missiles on 620 Eighth Avenue in New York City.

It's what is affectionately known as a "target rich environment."
Sadly, it's been US policy to embrace half measures. Or maybe quarter measures.

Some years back during the Iraq war, there were a number of instances when we had an opportunity to take out a lot of terrorists at once . . . but we didn't. Several times Muqtada al-Sadr had a "Death to America" rally with his so-called Mahdi Army - thousands of fanatical terrorists crowded into a square. Could've taken out the entire leadership AND most of his followers with any of a number of airstrike options. And I remember there was another time when hundreds of terrorists were at the funeral of a terrorist leader. Each time, all our drones did was watch.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2023, 02:21:43 PM by HankB »
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2023, 02:59:29 PM »
Sadly, it's been US policy to embrace half measures. Or maybe quarter measures.

Some years back during the Iraq war, there were a number of instances when we had an opportunity to take out a lot of terrorists at once . . . but we didn't. Several times Muqtada al-Sadr had a "Death to America" rally with his so-called Mahdi Army - thousands of fanatical terrorists crowded into a square. Could've taken out the entire leadership AND most of his followers with any of a number of airstrike options. And I remember there was another time when hundreds of terrorists were at the funeral of a terrorist leader. Each time, all our drones did was watch.

Davy Crocket
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.