Author Topic: Convention of States’ resolution to amend the Constitution  (Read 1069 times)

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Conservatives moving to amend the constitution. Nineteen states have signed off on it, thirty four are needed. Supposedly they have some momentum.

I've heard bits and pieces but this is the first article I've run across.

https://www.businessinsider.com/constitutional-convention-conservatives-republicans-constitution-supreme-court-2022-7
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
Re: Convention of States’ resolution to amend the Constitution
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2022, 01:28:32 AM »
Oh, dear gawds, NO

That is a can or worms we do NOT want opened!
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2022, 01:11:00 PM »
Today's GOP is incapable of writing and adopting a document that improves on the original. And far too many will go along and "compromise" with D's.

Many of today's D's would probably like to adopt part's of Russia's, China's, or North Korea's Constitutions, and start by removing the Bill of Rights. (Not just the 2nd - they'd like to scrap all of it.)

The old saying that "No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session" would be doubly apropos during a modern ConCon.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2022, 01:31:07 PM »
I'll repeat what I put in the disappeared thread:

We got it right the first time.

Anytime the movies do this, the 2nd is the first thing to go. Learn from Hollywood!

https://youtu.be/s1iDJKAwH8E
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2022, 02:09:14 PM »
That might as well be what we are talking about.  We would be lucky to end up with something less than 1000 pages. 

We would be much better off fixing what we have than trying to trash it in favor of something new. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2022, 02:33:58 PM »
Absolutely not.  I have a hard time seeing how it could end up improving things for liberty minded folks with traditional american values.  From that perspective, the best case scenario is that it accelerates the collapse and breakup of the US.

The most probable scenario the formalization of the de facto corrupt and illegal practices already going on, with plenty of sprinkles of more iron fist hard power from DC baked in that they can use in the future.

Why would I trust politicians that don't follow the constitution to draft another one?

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2022, 03:28:21 PM »
I'll reiterate what I posted before the hiccup.  The Constitution works just fine the way it is when we actually use it.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2022, 05:08:14 PM »
There are a number of talking heads on the right that I have a modicum of respect for that loudly advocate for a convention of the states. I do not think for a second that a convention of the states would yield the libertarian wet dream of a constitution they seem to think it would.
Just imagine the "conservatives" that would manage to get them selves appointed to the committee - Romney, Murkowski, Collins, Flake... 
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2022, 05:20:09 PM »
I thought the point of the convention was to amend, not to start from scratch.

And, yes, I'm aware of the historical irony of saying that.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2022, 06:27:05 PM »
I thought the point of the convention was to amend, not to start from scratch.

And, yes, I'm aware of the historical irony of saying that.

My understanding from my Constitutional Law classes (taken in 1992 and 1993) is that a convention can be for purpose of drafting an amendment OR for purpose of scrapping the whole thing and starting over if there are 34 states voting to do so.

I'm not losing sleep on this one. Doubt we can get 34 states to agree on much of anything these days.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2022, 06:47:56 PM »
I say no. They can't or won't abide the Constitution as it stands now. What makes anyone think they will abide the Constitution if and when it gets amended?  :facepalm:

Woody  :old:
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2022, 07:15:27 PM »
Yes. Odds of success are extremely low but way better than the odds of voting our way out of it. Nicer divorce when you know you tried everything. I would settle for returning to appointed senators and putting teeth back in the ninth and tenth. And scrapping the IRS while we are dreaming.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2022, 08:02:36 PM »
Hell yes. Let’s burn this bitch to the ground.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2022, 08:27:31 PM »
Yes. Odds of success are extremely low but way better than the odds of voting our way out of it. Nicer divorce when you know you tried everything. I would settle for returning to appointed senators and putting teeth back in the ninth and tenth. And scrapping the IRS while we are dreaming.

I also fear we have reached that point. I could certainly be convinced that it's time for the hail mary.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2022, 10:13:09 PM »
Hell yes. Let’s burn this bitch to the ground.

Word.

There's no way amending the Constitution ends well for us.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2022, 12:41:44 AM »
Word.

There's no way amending the Constitution ends well for us.

No other way out. Trump could come back as Trump the White, get elected and it wouldn't help. Elect anyone, won't help. The agencies will grind along and feed even if we closed the White House and Congress.
AKA Navy Joe   

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2022, 01:15:36 AM »
Tim Pool had a discussion on his podcast about this within the last couple days.  Supposedly the charter that’s being voted on is limiting the convention to things that return power to the states and/or people.  So anything that added power to the feds would be “not germane”.  Plus, factor in that 38 states would have to ratify the outcome, so a mere 13 states can kill any changes.  It would be easy to get 13+ states to shoot down any change to the 2A that we  (APS) would consider bad.

Personally I’d like to see repeal of the 16th, 17th, 19th (yes, I know), section 2 of the 21st, and 23rd (and return the residential areas to Maryland or Virginia as appropriate).  A major rewrite of the 14th is in order too.

Given the way the courts have tortured the 2A I’d like to see it rewritten to something like “No regulation by the federal government or the government of the several States or any subdivision thereof on the right of all citizens (except those actively incarcerated) to posses and carry weapons, including crew served weapons, is allowed.”

A requirement for a balanced budget, except during times of declared war with another nation (so no fair “declaring war on poverty/drugs/crime/etc) would be nice. 

Term limits I’m a little on the fence on.  They seem like a good idea but it also eliminates any need to feel restrained by the need to get re-elected once in their final term.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2022, 01:20:36 AM »
I have never once in my life said gee I wish my governor could be re-elected. Maybe that's just because Virginia hasn't had a good governor in my lifetime. Term limits are wonderful.
AKA Navy Joe   

Pb

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2022, 10:46:53 AM »
What "good" amendments could actually pass through the process? 

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2022, 11:27:18 PM »
No other way out. Trump could come back as Trump the White, get elected and it wouldn't help. Elect anyone, won't help. The agencies will grind along and feed even if we closed the White House and Congress.

There's no peaceful solution.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2022, 07:53:32 AM »
Seems there was a book that warns of the potential consequences of this. Actually three books. Some other things in that series almost seem to be premonitions today. I’m very leery of this actually working in a liberty minded direction.