Author Topic: DeSantis 2024?  (Read 1376 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
DeSantis 2024?
« on: August 03, 2022, 10:26:42 PM »
 [popcorn]

MAJOR announcement tomorrow morning from @GovRonDeSantis.

Prepare for the liberal media meltdown of the year

Everyone get some rest tonight 😉 🌚

— Christina Pushaw 🐊 🇺🇸 (@ChristinaPushaw) August 4, 2022

Christina Pushaw predicts ‘liberal media meltdown of the year’ due to imminent announcement from Gov. Ron DeSantis
https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2022/08/03/christina-pushaw-predicts-liberal-media-meltdown-of-the-year-due-to-imminent-announcement-from-gov-ron-desantis/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: DeSantis 2024?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2022, 11:13:12 PM »
Could be a lot of things: constitutional carry, an abortion law, arming teachers - or he's annexing Cuba?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2022, 01:17:23 AM »
Doesn’t he need to win re-election as governor before he declares he’s running for POTUS?

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2022, 07:13:56 AM »
I’m a state spokesperson so I don’t see internal polls. I can tell you this is an official announcement not a campaign one

— Christina Pushaw 🐊 🇺🇸 (@ChristinaPushaw) August 4, 2022

I suspect we'll see either a new abortion bill, or something else aimed at schools.  My money's on schools.  He can ride 'protect the kids from pedos" through the election, but there's enough blue and purple areas in FL to make abortion a dangerous tack, and we just had a new law go into effect this month.

Could be guns to, I guess.  He's been promising us open carry the whole time he's been governor.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2022, 08:07:46 AM »
Could be guns to, I guess.  He's been promising us open carry the whole time he's been governor.

I wonder if it will be this:

https://www.baynews9.com/fl/tampa/news/2022/04/29/gov--ron-desantis-says-constitutional-carry-is-coming-to-florida

Florida seems like one of the next likely candidates to join the club.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2022, 10:54:24 AM »
Cue the outrage

Florida’s Voice
@FLVoiceNews
·
Follow
#BREAKING: Gov. Ron DeSantis is suspending State Attorney Andrew Warren, a Democrat, for vowing to not enforce prohibitions on sex changes for minors or restrictions on abortion

"When you make yourself above the law, you have violated your duty."
https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2022/08/04/effective-immediately-ron-desantis-strikes-powerful-blow-for-justice-and-against-progressive-prosecutors-funded-by-soros-videos/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Pb

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2022, 11:05:27 AM »
Excellent.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2022, 02:57:46 PM »
He may have over reached on this one.  State attorney is an elected position, and prosecutorial discretion is a thing. If a state attorney is utilizing their discretion improperly,  I would say that is a matter for the voters to decide.

I would think that executive removal of elected officials should be limited to when the offical themself is breaking the law.  I agree that the State Attorney should probably not have gone on record saying he would not enforce those two laws, but choosing not to prosecute those cases in the 13th circuit is within his purview.

Warren is half-way through his current term, and reasonably popular in Hillsborough County.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2022, 03:48:51 PM »
He may have over reached on this one.  State attorney is an elected position, and prosecutorial discretion is a thing. If a state attorney is utilizing their discretion improperly,  I would say that is a matter for the voters to decide.

I would think that executive removal of elected officials should be limited to when the offical themself is breaking the law.  I agree that the State Attorney should probably not have gone on record saying he would not enforce those two laws, but choosing not to prosecute those cases in the 13th circuit is within his purview.

Warren is half-way through his current term, and reasonably popular in Hillsborough County.
I guess it is a question of what authority the Gov has in Florida.  Different in every state.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

zahc

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2022, 06:34:47 PM »
This is my problem with desantis. I don't think he thinks things through very well. Backfiring is a real thing that happens, and when it does it makes you look pretty stupid at best and recedes your progress at worst. The term from gaming is "feeding" [the opposition]. A teammate who feeds the opposition can be worse than one who does nothing. He seems to be socially conservative but activist and progressive when it comes to governing in a way that's not altogether intelligent.

I'm happy he's actually doing things to promote agenda items I usually agree with, but dammit you have to have some amount of finesse in the process to avoid feeding the opposition and to actually achieve those ends.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2022, 07:48:56 PM »
I'm not saying this won't backfire, but I'm also not convinced it will backfire enough to matter.

I don't know if DeSantis has yet realized that Leftists like Warren are agents of a foreign, occupying power in our country, but at least he's sort of acting like he understands. Defeating Vichy is not going to be politics as usual. Neither was the Civil War.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2022, 11:27:50 AM »
https://hotair.com/ed-morrissey/2022/08/05/warren-fires-back-at-desantis-trying-to-make-a-good-impression-on-the-iowa-caucus-voters-n487668

Because the only thing worse than a pro-crime prosecutor is a governor trying to look good for Iowa caucus voters.

From the article:   
The announcement came without notice to Warren, who said he has not yet gotten the chance to read the suspension, but said he “heard it contains a lot of conjecture and lies.”

“I woke up to do my job today, and that’s exactly what I did,” Warren said. “Just based on the Governor’s track record with unconstitutional orders, I have a feeling that this is going to be just as unconstitutional.”
That’s certainly a curious reaction. This State Attorney is commenting publicly on an order he hasn’t read and a raising a constitutional objection without researching the topic. It seems that DeSantis might have another ground for suspension on the basis of incompetence.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2022, 05:39:04 PM »
I'd like to see constitutional carry down there. I'll be able to carry without concern all the way when I drive from IN down to visit family in FL. Last I looked all the states I drive through have const carry and are reciprocal or don't require state citizenship.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2022, 05:52:40 PM »

Prosecutorial discretion is “the case against that person is questionable, let’s not waste resources on him/her”, or “that law is old and hasn’t been enforced for decades/longer and I’m not going to start now”.

A law that was recently passed that he won’t enforce simply because he disagrees with it is playing politics, and arguably insubordination.

I haven’t confirmed it, but DeSantis is claiming FL constitutional authority to suspend the guy.  If so, while one can argue a degree of playing politics on his part, but in this case it’s at least in keeping with the statewide trends.  Plus is working towards reducing harms to kids, born or not yet born.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2022, 12:27:45 PM »
Your new favorite conspiracy theory is - what, or who, killed DeSantis’s sister?

https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/tampabaytimes/name/christina-desantis-obituary?pid=175025946

At the age of 30, a successful young woman dies suddenly, in a foreign land. The cause of death has never been released. WHAT IS HE HIDING FROM US!!

It happened years ago, and I haven’t heard anyone claim that DeSantis had her killed because she was about to say gay, or something. But now that DeSantis is Trump-Hitler’s understudy, it’s just a matter of time.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2022, 07:01:12 PM »
How we get our approved candidates. Most of us get it already but this is written very clearly.

https://theconservativetreehouse.com/blog/2022/08/19/for-those-with-eyes-to-see/#more-236748

If we watch closely, we will see a MAGA-lite, professionally controlled republican go from five-days as a pupa, to chrysalis, to national club butterfly.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2022, 01:04:03 AM »
As I've mentioned before, what if the real program isn't to elevate DeSantis/the establishment candidate? What if the real mind-job is what Ron just posted? To make us suspicious of everyone who appears to take our side?

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2022, 07:51:34 AM »
So, we have a professional politician who has figured out what things to say to make a whole bunch of voters happy...

That isn't really thrilling me. Lawyer, DOJ, etc...

Wiki---------
Ronald Dion DeSantis (/diˈsæntɪs/; born September 14, 1978) is an American attorney and politician who has served as the 46th governor of Florida since 2019. Before assuming the governorship, DeSantis represented Florida's 6th district in the U.S. House of Representatives from 2013 to 2018.

Born in Jacksonville, DeSantis spent most of his childhood in Dunedin, Florida. He graduated from Yale University and Harvard Law School. DeSantis joined the United States Navy in 2004, where he was promoted to lieutenant before serving as an advisor to SEAL Team One and being deployed to Iraq in 2007. When he returned to the U.S. a year later, the U.S. Department of Justice appointed DeSantis to serve as a Special Assistant U.S. attorney at the U.S. Attorney's Office in the Middle District of Florida, a position he held until his honorable discharge in 2010.

DeSantis was first elected to Congress in 2012, defeating his Democratic opponent Heather Beaven. During his tenure, he became a founding member of the Freedom Caucus and was an ally of President Donald Trump. DeSantis frequently criticized Special Counsel Robert Mueller's investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election. He briefly ran for U.S. Senate in 2016, but withdrew when incumbent senator Marco Rubio sought reelection.

During his 2018 gubernatorial campaign, DeSantis emphasized his support of Trump. He won the Republican nomination in August, and chose state representative Jeanette Nuñez as his running mate. The close results of the general election between DeSantis and the Democratic nominee, Tallahassee mayor Andrew Gillum, triggered a machine recount. DeSantis was certified the winner with a 0.4% margin of victory.
Blog under construction

Pb

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2022, 01:01:59 PM »
So, we have a professional politician who has figured out what things to say to make a whole bunch of voters happy...

DeSantis is actually getting some conservative agenda passed into law in Florida.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2022, 01:05:29 PM »

That isn't really thrilling me. Lawyer, DOJ, etc...

Who are you suggesting then? We don't have a big pool of conservatives for 2024 that are strong constitutionalists. Especially any with name recognition that are liked (or at least tolerated) by the voting base.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2022, 09:25:18 PM »
As I've mentioned before, what if the real program isn't to elevate DeSantis/the establishment candidate? What if the real mind-job is what Ron just posted? To make us suspicious of everyone who appears to take our side?

I'm just choosing the horse that's running in the right direction the fastest. Once they veer off course or peter out I find a new horse.

If they're not moving the ball in the right direction and they only play prevent defense they aren't my team.

Not much more we can do in a phony "democracy" other than not play.

That DQ's most of the Republican establishment.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2022, 09:31:50 PM »
Perfect is the mortal enemy of pretty darn good.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2022, 11:21:51 AM »
That's racist DeSantis

Robert Reich is wondering if ‘DeSantis’ is now ‘officially a synonym for fascist’
https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2022/08/24/robert-reich-is-wondering-if-desantis-is-now-officially-a-synonym-for-fascist/

They're really afraid of this guy
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2022, 12:44:28 PM »
That's racist DeSantis

Robert Reich is wondering if ‘DeSantis’ is now ‘officially a synonym for fascist’
https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2022/08/24/robert-reich-is-wondering-if-desantis-is-now-officially-a-synonym-for-fascist/

They're really afraid of this guy
Agreed.  It is a bit early to resort to name calling. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge