Author Topic: Another Step in Race Based Hiring  (Read 1225 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Another Step in Race Based Hiring
« on: August 05, 2022, 11:58:48 AM »
NYC Mayor wants photos included on all city job applications so they can more efficiently screen for the right color/race/genderfluid.

https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2022/08/05/nyc-mayor-eric-adams-asking-for-photos-of-prospective-city-hall-employees-is-definitely-not-problematic/

I continue to be sadly not that astonished that this stuff occurs at all levels of government without ten figure lawsuit judgments being handed out left and right. Blatant racism.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Nick1911

• Administrator
Re: Another Step in Race Based Hiring
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2022, 12:00:13 PM »
So weird seeing racism coming back into public acceptance.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2022, 12:05:26 PM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Pb

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2022, 12:13:45 PM »
You have to submit a photo for a med school application too.

I don't wonder why.

Discrimination against whites (and frequently Asians) is perfectly acceptable to the elite.

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2022, 01:06:56 PM »
Welcome to pure Democracy?

Perhaps Lincoln was wrong.  You can fool all of the people all of the time.

Or 50.001% of them, which is all you really need.

Terry, 230RN

NOTE for any of those gratuitous debunkers who fail to recognize the "sense" of a quotation regardless of the validity of its provenance:

https://abrahamlincolnassociation.org/you-can-fool-all-of-the-people-lincoln-never-said-that/

Pb

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2022, 01:25:05 PM »
Whites are already a minority in NYC.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2022, 01:31:52 PM »
Hmm. As a hiring manager, I am instructed to never ask for a picture, look for the candidate on social media, or Google them, lest I find out information that would bias me in the hiring process before an interview.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2022, 03:21:13 PM »
We all can feel how well this policy worked out for the current administration.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2022, 03:38:29 PM »
You have to submit a photo for a med school application too.

I don't wonder why.

Discrimination against whites (and frequently Asians) is perfectly acceptable to the elite.
What's wrong with submitting a photo?

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

230RN

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2022, 03:43:40 PM »
^
That was obviously doctored to make the subject look lighter.

You can tell from the articles of clothing.  I mean, who wears a white Turban like that after Labor Day?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2022, 04:19:08 PM »
What's wrong with submitting a photo?

Perfect.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

JN01

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2022, 04:29:13 PM »
They just need some No Irish Whites Need to Apply signs.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2022, 12:48:04 AM »
I always liked this article. Blind auditions were proven to greatly increase hiring of female musicians to the symphony by ending discriminatory audition practices that apparently kept them out. But the symphony is mostly white and doesn't look like the community it serves so blind auditions now bad. I mean we could try school vouchers and let those poor brown kids attend good private music schools or something...  https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/16/arts/music/blind-auditions-orchestras-race.html

As for Trudeau, I just want a DNA sample.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2022, 08:06:56 AM »
I always liked this article. Blind auditions were proven to greatly increase hiring of female musicians to the symphony by ending discriminatory audition practices that apparently kept them out. But the symphony is mostly white and doesn't look like the community it serves so blind auditions now bad. I mean we could try school vouchers and let those poor brown kids attend good private music schools or something...  https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/16/arts/music/blind-auditions-orchestras-race.html

As for Trudeau, I just want a DNA sample.
So musical ability should not be the determining factor in filling a symphonic position.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2022, 10:39:39 AM »
That's interesting.  The Army just removed the requirement for a photo from our Record Brief, and has put out guidance that you aren't supposed to use gendered pronouns on soldiers evals.

The stated purpose is so that promotion and competitive placement board won't see anything with race or gender, and can judge the soldier solely on their accomplishments.

I never would have thought we'd see open racism make such a comeback.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2022, 03:34:20 PM »

Black people are actually highly overrepresented in the music industry (and probably the entertainment industry in general).  Blacks were instrumental in the creation of rock and country music.  Probably not in overrepresented in classical music though.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2022, 04:41:50 PM »
That's interesting.  The Army just removed the requirement for a photo from our Record Brief, and has put out guidance that you aren't supposed to use gendered pronouns on soldiers evals.

The stated purpose is so that promotion and competitive placement board won't see anything with race or gender, and can judge the soldier solely on their accomplishments.

I never would have thought we'd see open racism make such a comeback.

So what pronouns are you allowed to use? "It"? Or are you now supposed to eschew pronouns entirely and always use language such as "this soldier"?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2022, 06:42:30 PM »
So what pronouns are you allowed to use? "It"? Or are you now supposed to eschew pronouns entirely and always use language such as "this soldier"?

Probably the latter.  "The candidate", "this soldier", etc.  "One" is a perfectly good and underused pronoun, but I doubt that it works in this context.  They could also use "he" for everybody regardless of sex (that is perfectly acceptable in English, but archaic) but I'm pretty sure they won't go there.
"It's good, though..."

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2022, 06:44:22 PM »
I identify as a Squishy, hydrophilic, Carbon Based Life-form.
My pronouns are Fat-ass/Dumb-ass.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

230RN

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2022, 09:07:18 PM »
So what about photos on ID badges?

The "solutions" to the alleged racism problem seem to be more onerous than the alleged racism problem.  Typical of "do-gooders" liberalism, n'est-ce pas?

Terry, 230RN

HankB

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2022, 10:39:38 PM »
Probably the latter.  "The candidate", "this soldier", etc.  "One" is a perfectly good and underused pronoun, but I doubt that it works in this context.  They could also use "he" for everybody regardless of sex (that is perfectly acceptable in English, but archaic) but I'm pretty sure they won't go there.
Archaic? I'm sure I heard biological female Starfleet officers addressed as "Mister" or "Sir" on TV . . .

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2022, 10:57:24 PM »
Archaic? I'm sure I heard biological female Starfleet officers addressed as "Mister" or "Sir" on TV . . .

Yes, the navy has a tradition of calling certain officers and maybe NCO's "mister".  (I believe it's common to call the XO that; it's familiar without being disrespectful.)  And I think there's still debate about whether a female superior officer should be called "sir" or "ma'am".  That's a little different than "he" being used as a generic pronoun for a person.
"It's good, though..."

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2022, 01:10:55 AM »

Private Snuffy exceeded expectations while on duty cleaning the non-birthing person’s latrine.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2022, 07:04:39 AM »

The others nailed it. "This soldier" or rank and last name on NCO evaluations. For some reason it's become traditional that Officer evals use the rated soldiers first name, so on OERs, that.  Inferences can still be made by  "Steve" or "Marsha" as well as cultural inferences from last names, but they are trying to make it more merit based.