Author Topic: Voip phone suggestions?  (Read 690 times)

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
Voip phone suggestions?
« on: August 04, 2022, 12:33:00 PM »
So....  We're ditching comcrap in favor of CenturyLink (i know, not much better) but we're saving money and getting a faster internet plan.   But we currently have a voip phone through comcast, and I'm looking for alternatives without paying $40 a month to centurylink for a "landline".

I've heard good things about Ooma, *except* that apparently most people in order to cancel their service end up having to cancel their credit card or report them as a fraudulent biller to their CC provider.   And if you want to port your number away from Ooma, apparently they make it effectively impossible. 

In any case, looking for what people are using for VoIP service
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
Re: Voip phone suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2022, 12:46:29 PM »
I use PhonePower, Have for decades now. < $20/mo and works great. LOADS of included features. https://www.phonepower.com
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2022, 01:43:14 PM »
I use Google Voice and an Obihai OBi-200 adapter to plug into a desk phone.  I see that particular adapter has been discontinued, but there are other devices that do the same thing.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2022, 03:59:27 PM »
PS: My VOIP line auto reroutes to my cell phone.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

robear

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2022, 04:10:08 PM »
I use PhonePower, Have for decades now. < $20/mo and works great. LOADS of included features. https://www.phonepower.com

Another vote for PhonePower.   Used them for years.   No problems porting my landline # to them ($15 charge though) and had no problems cancelling.   Cancelled because I just never used that line.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2022, 05:36:51 PM »
My PhonePower line is the line I give when I don't want to give a Cell Number. It also has some neat features.
MOLON LABE!

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2022, 10:38:14 PM »
The only reason I could think of for a landline would be fax or more secure data transfer.
Blog under construction

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2022, 11:33:51 PM »
We have a real landline here because the aunt we live with is 82...
She was using DSL but I brought High Speed xFinity Cable to the house.
MOLON LABE!

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2022, 02:40:58 PM »
The only reason I could think of for a landline would be fax or more secure data transfer.

Young kiddos in the house, wife and i primarily use our cell phones, but we want a "landline" for 911 service.  Easier for the oldest to do it on a hard wired phone than one of the cell phones plus the hardwired phones are always in the same place.

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2022, 02:56:42 PM »
Young kiddos in the house, wife and i primarily use our cell phones, but we want a "landline" for 911 service.  Easier for the oldest to do it on a hard wired phone than one of the cell phones plus the hardwired phones are always in the same place.

Just be sure they know how to use the cell as a backup. If the power goes out, so does VOIP service.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2022, 01:02:17 AM »
Just be sure they know how to use the cell as a backup. If the power goes out, so does VOIP service.

Brad

Yep, gone over that.