Author Topic: Alex Jones verdict  (Read 2927 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Alex Jones verdict
« on: August 05, 2022, 06:44:40 PM »
Finding that Sandy Hook was not a hoax, A jury awarded $4.1 million in compensatory damages yesterday and just now $45.2 million in punitive damages against Alex Jones.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Alex Jones verdict
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2022, 07:06:29 PM »
He was a moron for saying that, but $50 million? This is a big part of what's wrong with our "gimme stuff!" litigious society, the ambulance chasing lawyers that promote it, and the juries that condone it.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2022, 08:30:09 PM »
Everything I've seen about this trial tells me it's just another political show.

A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2022, 08:43:25 PM »
He went way too far with the Sandy Hook was a hoax stuff. Perhaps not 45mil too far but too far never the less.
I can only imagine what the parents of a kid at SH feel though

« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 09:00:47 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2022, 10:11:53 PM »
And... How much did he make in the past year or so?
Blog under construction

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2022, 12:01:09 AM »
He went way too far with the Sandy Hook was a hoax stuff. Perhaps not 45mil too far but too far never the less.
I can only imagine what the parents of a kid at SH feel though

Is there some link to what he said that was different from all the other conspiracy stuff on that incident?  That stuff started within days if not hours of the event. 

Second, he is media.  Based on what we have seen the mainstream media get away with the last 10 years, I can't imagine what he did was worse. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2022, 08:00:13 AM »
A mouthy moron spouts nonsense, and his idiotic rants cause DAMAGE to people in the amount of TENS OF MILLIONS of dollars?   :facepalm:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2022, 09:54:40 AM »
A mouthy moron spouts nonsense, and his idiotic rants cause DAMAGE to people in the amount of TENS OF MILLIONS of dollars?   :facepalm:

But ... but ... he hurted their FEELZ!!!!

The parents accused Jones of telling lies. The problem is: no matter what he said, it wasn't a lie if he believed it when he said it. From the little I have read about this case, it doesn't appear that the parents in any way established that he didn't believe what he was saying at the time he said it.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2022, 11:50:20 AM »
the quartering has an interesting point!  :cool:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFly3Zn6jUQ

I can't stand that bloated worm, but Jones is no more of jackwagon than many others
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2022, 05:24:03 PM »

What does Morning Joe have to do with this thread?
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2022, 09:39:53 PM »
the quartering has an interesting point!  :cool:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFly3Zn6jUQ

I can't stand that bloated worm, but Jones is no more of jackwagon than many others

If the SH parents are due $45mil in punitive damages for Alex Jones then Kyle Rittenhouse should be a billionaire once the litigation is over.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2022, 01:39:47 PM »
If the SH parents are due $45mil in punitive damages for Alex Jones then Kyle Rittenhouse should be a billionaire once the litigation is over.

Donald Trump.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2022, 04:57:21 PM »
https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/nation/deliberations-resume-in-trial-over-jones-sandy-hook-lies/?utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=owned_echobox_f&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR3VaXujhI6a-y8-s9LujvHN5bDezvU5K12842Je_QR_D2Zl2n-j5Xjek2U#Echobox=1665604934

The jury thinks he should pay $ 965 million.
So eight people who'd never see 10 million dollars in their lifetime were "damaged" by having their feelings hurt to an average of over 100 million dollars apiece?

Truly, we ARE living in Clown World.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2022, 10:09:54 PM »
The amount is silly but Jones certainly deserves to be separated from every penny he made (and then some) from peddling his fake news about that tragedy. Those families went through something incredibly terrible and he made money by lying about them, doxxing them, and inspiring his craziest followers to stalk and harass them for years. He's scum.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2022, 12:03:53 AM »
The amount is silly but Jones certainly deserves to be separated from every penny he made (and then some) from peddling his fake news about that tragedy. Those families went through something incredibly terrible and he made money by lying about them, doxxing them, and inspiring his craziest followers to stalk and harass them for years. He's scum.
IMO, Jones was stating his opinion just like everyone else in media.  He doesn't deserve to get sued for it anymore than the rest of the media (many of whom pedal lies on a daily basis). 

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2022, 01:26:06 AM »
As a professional crisis actor, my feelings are mixed.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2022, 07:27:50 AM »
I tend to think Jones knew exactly what he was doing.  He fired up his retarded listeners with things he knew were bullshit to milk money from them.  The result of that was things like this:

Mark Barden testified that conspiracy theorists urinated on the grave of his 7-year-old son, Daniel, and threatened to dig up the coffin

I have seen reports of rape and death threats mailed to victims homes.  Homes, it bears mentioning, that the aholes had the address of because of Jones and his show.

I very rarely see any of Jones' show, but the segments I've seen have all been wildly incorrect, in some cases proven wrong in the very video or story he's supposedly commentating on. I suspect Jones doesn't have a billion dollars, but the world will be a better place if he's never heard from again.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2022, 07:40:22 AM »
Finding that Sandy Hook was not a hoax, A jury awarded $4.1 million in compensatory damages yesterday and just now $45.2 million in punitive damages against Alex Jones.

After all the other awards are added in, Jones owes nearly $1 billion. 

https://news.yahoo.com/alex-jones-hit-965-million-194830979.html
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2022, 07:53:53 AM »
I worry about the precedent...

Will they next go after someone just a little less crazy?

And then someone else?

Weaponized courts.

Blog under construction

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2022, 07:55:35 AM »
I kind of agree with both Dogmush's and Mech's last posts, even if they sound like they're kind of opposite of each other.

I think Alex Jones is an ass who needed to be sued in the same way I recently called elsewhere for the people harassing the Colorado baker to be sued (though admittedly I called for a ridiculous amount for effect in my argument, they need to be sued for an amount that means something). Alex Jones should have been sued for an amount that means something in the real world.

I looked up his net worth, reported as $40 million. A billion dollar settlement is cartoonish here. A $20 million settlement would have been a real world number that actually affected him, if you believe that he should be severely punished for what he did.

Which leads into where I agree with Mech: There are dozens and dozens of MSM "journalists" who have done the same thing Jones has done. Worse, because Jones is just a loudmouth celebrity. Journalists hide behind their occupation as "truth tellers" while telling outrageous lies that detrimentally affect - even ruin - innocent people. They don't deserve a pass anymore than Jones does. One might include every Harridan that appears on The View. They have detrimentally affected way more people than Jones ever has.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2022, 07:58:54 AM »
IMO, Jones was stating his opinion just like everyone else in media.  He doesn't deserve to get sued for it anymore than the rest of the media (many of whom pedal lies on a daily basis).
This.

The few - very few - times I've seen or heard Alex Jones I recognized he was spouting utterly asinine nonsense. But I see that as no different than what people in the media do every day of the week on CNN, MSDNC, the Huffington Post, and so forth and so on.

Harmful? What about the actions of people like (former) NY Gov. Cuomo, which were directly responsible for the deaths of 10,000 elderly nursing home residents? Or the shut downs of schools and businesses in various states causing harm to both the economy and the development of millions of children?

I could go on, but Alex Jones is small fry by comparison.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2022, 08:50:05 AM »
I kind of agree with both Dogmush's and Mech's last posts, even if they sound like they're kind of opposite of each other.

I think Alex Jones is an ass who needed to be sued in the same way I recently called elsewhere for the people harassing the Colorado baker to be sued (though admittedly I called for a ridiculous amount for effect in my argument, they need to be sued for an amount that means something). Alex Jones should have been sued for an amount that means something in the real world.

I looked up his net worth, reported as $40 million. A billion dollar settlement is cartoonish here. A $20 million settlement would have been a real world number that actually affected him, if you believe that he should be severely punished for what he did.

Which leads into where I agree with Mech: There are dozens and dozens of MSM "journalists" who have done the same thing Jones has done. Worse, because Jones is just a loudmouth celebrity. Journalists hide behind their occupation as "truth tellers" while telling outrageous lies that detrimentally affect - even ruin - innocent people. They don't deserve a pass anymore than Jones does. One might include every Harridan that appears on The View. They have detrimentally affected way more people than Jones ever has.

This ^^^^^ 
With a comment

"I looked up his net worth, reported as $40 million. A billion dollar settlement is cartoonish here. A $20 million settlement would have been a real world number that actually affected him, if you believe that he should be severely punished for what he did."

They don't want to punish him they want to destroy him. Bury him in a debt grave so deep he will never see the light of day again.

Now that said, what do you think the settlement would have been if he was a leftist or even if there would have been one? Have the media talking heads and politicians who were demanding photos of the dead children be publicized been sued?

Edit: Whoops  Got stuck on the term settlement.
Replace settlement with verdict awarded in the question.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2022, 09:38:39 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2022, 09:14:12 AM »
They don't want to punish him they want to destroy him. Bury him in a debt grave so deep he will never see the light of day again.

Now that said, what do you think the settlement would have been if he was a leftist or even if there would have been one?

I'm not going to make assumptions about the jury as I don't know who they are, but I don't think the people suing him (parents of murdered children) care as much about his political stances. They're suing him for what he said about them and their children and, yes, I do believe they want to bury him in debt for what he did to them. I suspect he will suffer far less than they have, at least in this life.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2022, 09:23:21 AM »
I'm not going to make assumptions about the jury as I don't know who they are, but I don't think the people suing him (parents of murdered children) care as much about his political stances. They're suing him for what he said about them and their children and, yes, I do believe they want to bury him in debt for what he did to them. I suspect he will suffer far less than they have, at least in this life.

My question has to do with the settlement not whether or not he should have sued in the first place.

Edit: Whoops, Replace settlement with verdict awarded in the question.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2022, 09:37:40 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes