Author Topic: Discount Tire price match  (Read 274 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Discount Tire price match
« on: August 09, 2022, 11:01:50 AM »
I had a nice surprise over the weekend.

I've been shopping tires for SWMBO's Taurus and trying not to faint at prices. I notice Discount Tire has a "Found it somewhere at a lower price?" link so I figured I'd give it a try. Googled the tire I want and found it advertised at a non-sale price almost fifty bucks lower. Checked and double-checked that the UPC and mfg part numbers were the same, then entered the link. Less than ten minutes later I get an email from Discount saying they'll match it. That's a $190 savings on the set. Wow!

I honestly didn't have high hopes. I figured Discount, like most retailers offering price matching, would have some "our special part number" technicality that let them off the hook. They didn't even blink. Tires should be here today and I'll get them mounted tomorrow. I'm genuinely surprised. SWMBO is happy because the current tires are right at the wear bars and have gotten progressively noisier with age.

Brad
« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 11:55:43 AM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

HankB

• friend
Re: Discount Tire price match
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2022, 11:50:31 AM »
Good for you - it pays to price match whenever you can. Worst they could do is say "no." I've bought tires for both my vehicles at DT, and each time after shopping around, they had the lowest "out the door" price around.

Aside from tires . . . about 3 years ago I was going to buy a new recliner - found one at La-Z-Boy gallery. Now, LZB is a bit sneaky on their pricing - for example, I've found that on the day before they begin a "2 for 1" sale they're likely to jack up the price for one chair by  $500 or more. But they DO claim to price match.

I found the chair I wanted at Wayfair for ~$500 less than the current "sale" prize at LZB and to make a long story short - they matched it. The only (minor) hitch was that they couldn't match Wayfair's "free delivery" price, but by picking it up myself at the local store when it came in there was no delivery charge. I thought there might be another problem as the Wayfair version was charcoal color and LZB only had the dark cherry in stock, but no problem as long as I was willing to settle for the dark cherry . . . which is what I preferred anyway! (I DIDN'T tell LZB that as I "reluctantly" settled for what they had available.)

As for the quality of the chair - up to now, no complaints. But I bet it won't last 35+ years like my old Barcalounger did. (With the help of some duct tape.  :rofl: )
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Kingcreek

• friend
Re: Discount Tire price match
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2022, 11:53:53 AM »
I was ready to order tires from DT and I checked with our local family owned tire shop to see if they would accept shipment mount and balance for me (willing to pay a reasonable fee for this of course) and they offered a free quote. They actually beat the best price I could find online.
What we have here is failure to communicate.