Author Topic: Some folks have asked why I haven't moved out of Murder City  (Read 471 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Some folks have asked why I haven't moved out of Murder City
« on: August 08, 2022, 08:12:01 PM »
This is one of the reasons. About a mile from my house.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/world-market-st-louis

Another mile or so, there's a great Mexican grocery.

Probably 50 or so restaurants within a mile. Probably more if you count fast food.

We need to keep the cities. Most of the people are pretty cool. It's only a small percentage who are criminals.

Of course, it would be nice if the folks were smarter in their voting...
Blog under construction

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Some folks have asked why I haven't moved out of Murder City
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2022, 08:14:38 PM »
Ever go to Global Foods in Kirkweird, or that big Asian market in U City?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2022, 08:47:46 PM »
I don't get out much.

Seriously, I tend to stay within a few miles of home. Maybe it's a mental thing, a comfort zone.

Going to Knob Creek? That's the interstate, where I lived for a couple of years, and places like KCR are another home...

Change management? Maybe eventually.
Blog under construction

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2022, 01:29:37 AM »
Culture? If I really need some I can drive 90 minutes and pick up chicks at the Whole Foods hot bar in Charlottesville, maybe catch a show, or an antifa riot. But to not live in that is priceless no matter the price of gas. Hopefully if things are too sporty I will notice the glow or stream of disheveled survivors before I get to town.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2022, 04:14:16 AM »
« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 12:09:54 PM by 230RN »

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2022, 02:39:05 PM »
I'm also 20-30 minutes away from steel suppliers... That was a big issue when I was in the boonies - if we needed something, it was a week out, and could cost more for shipping than we spent on the material. Here, I can drive over to Shapiro Supply, Metal Supermarket, or places like Alro.
Blog under construction

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2022, 02:56:16 PM »
If you're content there, awesome.

You just often seem less than content.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2022, 03:20:04 PM »
Culture? If I really need some I can drive 90 minutes and pick up chicks at the Whole Foods hot bar in Charlottesville, maybe catch a show, or an antifa riot. But to not live in that is priceless no matter the price of gas. Hopefully if things are too sporty I will notice the glow or stream of disheveled survivors before I get to town.

Yep - the city is (sometimes) a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there. I can drive an hour to more culture than I know what to do with, but then drive back home to peace and quiet and wildlife viewing and distant neighbors. Any kind of food I want is 30-60min away, but I generally like making my own nowadays, and am happy with getting my once a week pastrami burger from the burger joint in town. Brewpub quality without having to drive to downtown Boise and deal with hippies.

I sometimes shudder when I think back to living in my condo in Santa Barbara for 20 years. It was nice living across the street from the beach, but dealing with thin walls, noisy neighbors, and having to wear headphones when I wanted to have the TV or the music a little louder was a drag. It was only bearable because I traveled so much for work so I wasn't there every damn day.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2022, 05:30:40 PM »
There are good points and bad points... And in working retail, you see a LOT of the bad points.

Then again, I've lived in small towns, and they have their share of Methican Americans too...
Blog under construction

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2022, 06:49:22 PM »

Ben:

I haven't ordered stuff for delivery, though a lot of retail places are doing it now.  But if it came down to it (injury, illlness, hangoverness) how would they handle deliveries to outlying areas? Would they go ahead and deliver it but let the costs be covered by tip size?  I asked my local supermarket if there was an extra charge for my second floor apartment, and they said no, but I haven't done it yet.

So I'm wondering if there would be a problem for you out there in the far reaches of civilization.

Terry

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2022, 07:01:37 PM »

Ben:

I haven't ordered stuff for delivery, though a lot of retails places are doing it now.  But if it came down to it (injury, illlness, hangoverness) how would they handle deliveries to outlying areas? Would they go ahead and deliver it but let the costs be covered by tip size?  I asked my local supermarket if there was an extra charge for my second floor apartment, and they said no, but I haven't done it yet.

So I'm wondering if there would be a problem for you out there in the far reaches of civilization.

Terry

I'm pretty sure I can't get anything delivered out here. Well, maybe a couple of places would for an outrageous price.

Everyone out here has big pantries and extra freezers. I keep my pantry pretty full of stuff I like to eat anyway, and just rotate through that. The chest freezer is half full of beef and half full of frozen pizzas and whatnot exactly for if I'm sick or whatever and can't or don't want to get to the store. The little town about five miles from the house has that burger joint, and I could live on pastrami burgers, or else there's two taco trucks because of all the ag workers and they have good grub too.

Besides all that I have an additional over six months worth of Augason Farms and Mylar bagged stuff for the [insert type here] apocalypse.  =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."