Author Topic: Vegas clerk stabs robber ( self defense video audio )  (Read 2400 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Vegas clerk stabs robber ( self defense video audio )
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2022, 05:35:21 PM »
Locally it is being said that he has said he has had no training other than playing video games. No military or other training. He did an ask me anything on Reddit about this. While his SD instincts may be good his after action behavior tells me he is somewhat naive.

bob

I'm really surprised at the "no training". He moved like someone who trains. He's apparently in his early 20s, so the after action stuff is not as surprising. I hope he gets advice from someone he trusts to stop talking, because:

https://youtu.be/GjgGWOpksEw?t=43
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2022, 05:36:28 PM »
Okay - looks like it was a fairly large folder. Possibly switchblade or assisted opening...

Time to go look at longer Kershaws... My EDC is closer to a skinning profile than a toothpick profile...

If stabbing is what you have in mind then IMO nothing beats my EDC, a CRKT Hissatsu folder.

https://www.crkt.com/hissatsu-folder.html

It came rather stiff, as usual, but a drop of lube and repeated manipulation loosened it up well enough.

As for the defender, I read that he attributed his acumen to his experience in League of Legends (a video game), which of course adds credence to everyone here saying he needs to STFO.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2022, 05:45:45 PM »
Active Self Protection weighs in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Puk9Jv0-Gk

Apparently the clerk/shop-owner did an "ask me anything" on Reddit about the incident.   :facepalm:

The reddit stuff aside, there's a lot in that video I don't agree with, like, "show them the knife." There is no way I'm "showing a knife" to try and ward someone off. It might have the opposite effect. Using the pepper spray I could understand.

Lots of hindsight here. We can slow motion and still frame the video to death, but we weren't there. I'm not sure how the store owner "put himself in this situation." He's not the one who jumped the counter within a distance that I would consider personal space. The only people who "put themselves in a situation" are the criminals. Had they not entered the store with ill intent, none of this would have happened. The store owner gets LOTS of leeway from me. I hope he gets lots of leeway from the government as well.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2022, 06:16:04 PM »
The reddit stuff aside, there's a lot in that video I don't agree with, like, "show them the knife." There is no way I'm "showing a knife" to try and ward someone off. It might have the opposite effect. Using the pepper spray I could understand.

Lots of hindsight here. We can slow motion and still frame the video to death, but we weren't there. I'm not sure how the store owner "put himself in this situation." He's not the one who jumped the counter within a distance that I would consider personal space. The only people who "put themselves in a situation" are the criminals. Had they not entered the store with ill intent, none of this would have happened. The store owner gets LOTS of leeway from me. I hope he gets lots of leeway from the government as well.

yeah John at ASP gets odd sometimes, he is always saying criminals do not follow a moral code like "good,sane,moral" folks like you guys .
( well, like most of us hahahahah ) yet in this case, he doesn't get that the robbers lit the fuse and reaped what they sowed.

the whole thing is like a Beavis and Butthead rob a store cartoon , counter jumping kid even calls his friend "jacob" LOL...if he survives he will regret this forever....

store owner is pretty dumb, I never even been on reddit once - if I were in his shoes I might talk to APS about it, would never ask the internet anything
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2022, 07:57:14 PM »
From what little I can tell the robber lived.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2022, 08:51:51 PM »
Oh, and... No slicing... Just stabby punching...
Blog under construction

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2022, 09:03:46 PM »
store owner is pretty dumb, I never even been on reddit once - if I were in his shoes I might talk to APS about it, would never ask the internet anything

If anyone here is ever in a (potentially) lethal self-defense situation they better not say anything other than maybe “[link] FYI, that was me.”  Even on the not so public side.  At least until after they get no-billed.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2022, 08:11:09 AM »
As previously said, the clerk should never have opened his pie hole to the media. I'll also say that the video shouldn't have been made available to ANYONE before HIS lawyer reviewed it carefully.

Assuming the clerk is no-billed (AS HE SHOULD BE!!) he may still face a civil lawsuit for hurting the robber . . . that's the kind of insane society we live in today.  =(
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2022, 12:26:11 PM »
I noticed his right hand hanging around next to the register in that reddish light.  I thought it was clear he actually picked up the knife just as the scum jumped over the counter.

Re-watching it, it gave me the impression he was manipulating the knife in there before the jump-over.

As far as I'm concerned, that jump over the counter was the equivalent of a home invasion.

Terry

But I'll never be allowed on that jury because I've already reached a conclusion: justifiable self defense.  But there might be a grand jury hearing by the DA just to establish this.

And remember:  dead witnesses to your crime can't testify against you.  I would also say that guy drifting to the right exhibited predatory pack behavior:  surround your prey.

Terry, 230RN

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2022, 03:41:14 PM »
A little more info on the incident (as of August 10th):

https://www.8newsnow.com/i-team/i-team-teens-in-smoke-shop-robbery-were-on-gps-monitoring/

Three suspects arrested. Mr. Pin Cushion is still in the hospital.  All three of the suspects are juveniles and each has a criminal history predating the robbery.  Two of them were on GPS monitoring at the time of the robbery (so that's basically useless).  Police are still investigating the incident.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2022, 04:22:36 PM »
All three of the suspects are juveniles and each has a criminal history predating the robbery.  Two of them were on GPS monitoring at the time of the robbery (so that's basically useless).  Police are still investigating the incident.

Apparently a judge agrees. From the link:

Clark County District Court Judge Sunny Bailey demanded answers as hearings took place for the teens Wednesday.  “…the court expects probation to appear to explain to this court how two co-defendants on a GPS managed to not have their units and their alarms off and not be picked up in violation of their GPS when this offense occurred,” Bailey said.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2022, 04:52:24 PM »
A little more info on the incident (as of August 10th):

https://www.8newsnow.com/i-team/i-team-teens-in-smoke-shop-robbery-were-on-gps-monitoring/

Three suspects arrested. Mr. Pin Cushion is still in the hospital.  All three of the suspects are juveniles and each has a criminal history predating the robbery.  Two of them were on GPS monitoring at the time of the robbery (so that's basically useless).  Police are still investigating the incident.

This is my shocked face...

But the yute who was stabbed? He was turning his life around!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2022, 05:05:23 PM »
Some of the scuttlebutt going around a local site is Metro/DA may be looking at someway to charge the guy with something because they still haven't said anything (officially) about it being a case of self defense. The pincushioned ute is still hospitalized which makes me believe that stab between the shoulder blades did some spinal cord damage.

bob

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2022, 08:14:52 PM »
Some of the scuttlebutt going around a local site is Metro/DA may be looking at someway to charge the guy with something because they still haven't said anything (officially) about it being a case of self defense. The pincushioned ute is still hospitalized which makes me believe that stab between the shoulder blades did some spinal cord damage.

bob

I thought acupuncture was a healthy alternative to traditional therapeutics!
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2022, 01:34:31 PM »
  I thought acupuncture was a healthy alternative to traditional therapeutics!

LOL. It's the jab that prevents recidivism. Not brought to you by Pfizer.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2022, 04:04:07 PM »
LOL. It's the jab that prevents recidivism. Not brought to you by Pfizer.

Sounds like he won’t be jumping any more counters.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2022, 01:31:25 AM »
One of the utes is headed to a ute work camp where he can gain more knowledge on how to manipulate the system when he continues to be a hoodlum.

Another ute is headed to a juvenile correctional facility where he will be called a resident and learn even more than his friend that gets to go to camp.

Ute number 3 is probably just hoping for the day he can poop without someone shoving a suppository up his rectum (the stabber definitely recthim) and doing digital stimulation.

It is a shame, they were such good utes.

https://www.8newsnow.com/news/local-news/i-team-teens-in-smoke-shop-robbery-learn-fate/

bob

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2022, 07:24:24 AM »
Ah, the one teen has been "self medicating" to deal with trauma.

That's woke codewordism for he's a *expletive deleted*ing druggie and has turned to crime to support his habit.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2022, 09:21:30 AM »
It is a shame, they were such good utes.

https://www.8newsnow.com/news/local-news/i-team-teens-in-smoke-shop-robbery-learn-fate/

Ah, yes -- the old "exposed to drugs in utero" argument. The defense attorneys for the Parklands school shooter have trotted out that argument, too.

I suppose there may be some validity to the argument, but it's hardly an excuse. If anything, it's a reminder that rabid animals are usually put down.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

HankB

• friend
« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2022, 09:36:34 AM »
Ah, the one teen has been "self medicating" to deal with trauma.

That's woke codewordism for he's a *expletive deleted*ing druggie and has turned to crime to support his habit.
You're right.

Don't forget the perps actually MET in drug court.

"You guys are druggies? Me too! Let's get together after this judge finishes his yakking and cuts us loose so we can do something as a team!"
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2022, 10:45:48 AM »
One of the things I recently learned: Those Chinese guys do that karate stuff naturally.
Blog under construction

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2022, 01:42:38 AM »
 the "I'm dead" kid got to see his friends run away while he got Vietnamese acupuncture.
  That is really demoralizing.
 I bet you they have not written him or called or apologized.

I wonder how the shop owner is doing? I hope he has guns now, I doubt the cowards have friends that will retaliate - but you never know.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2022, 06:34:06 AM »
Was musing on "when to use deadly force."

Came to the conclusion - If I'm going to need to pull a knife in an altercation, I really should be grabbing something that goes bang.

I'm not going to be dancing around - if I lose a knee or the damn ankles rolls hard, I'm down. A firearm would still work. A knife? Not so much.
Blog under construction

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2022, 08:46:01 AM »
We don;t know yet, but perhaps the shop owner could not have a gun.  I wonder how many people are unpleasantly surprised when they're denied clearance for a firearm because of some piddly-fartin' violation or another. And the lawmakers keep felonizing previous non-felonies.

I still think that jump over the counter was absolutely equal to a home invasion, no lame legal excuses allowed.

Revenge?  I kinda wondered about that myself.

That class of people have different moral structures than you and I,  I'm thinking of the line in the movie Scarface(?) where Al Pacino says, in a heavily accented aggressive manner, "You *expletive deleted*ck-a me, I *expletive deleted*ck-a you."

I think that was the movie --memory fades. But to me that one scene always epitomized the escalation of violence in vengeful situations at that level of "morality."

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: August 27, 2022, 09:04:20 AM by 230RN »

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2022, 09:24:17 AM »
Ute would've gotten a faceful of OC spray before I tried to go hands-on, though I recognize that would only be a couple of seconds later.  One thing I keep in mind is that I always have the option of not deploying the blade on my knife.  I would not like to get whacked in the temple with the butt-end of my CRKT.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!