Author Topic: Mar-A-Lago raided and occupied by FBI  (Read 16051 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Mar-A-Lago raided and occupied by FBI
« Reply #75 on: August 10, 2022, 08:23:57 AM »
Business opportunity: provide strong encryption for cell phones with no "back door."

(Wasn't there a controversy a couple of years ago when fed.gov was unable to crack an I-Phone they'd seized - and Apple wouldn't help them?)

I can't remember the link anymore, but like a year or two ago, perd posted a link to some guy who tells you how or will do it for you and also sells smartphones that are completely locked down from snoopers. I've on occasion thought that would be a good investment.

I'm still befuddled that Blackberry is essentially out of business in the consumer phone marketplace. They (and Nextel) used to be the standard when I first started getting issued a gov phone. One would think given the environment today, that somebody offering a secure phone that still lets you do most smart phone stuff would be making a killing.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #76 on: August 10, 2022, 09:02:50 AM »
Samsung makes Galaxy phones that meet DOD encryption standards for holding Secret info, accessing SIPR, and access to TS LAN networks (think local vehicle information sharing and drone feed access)  I'd bet we don't do that on stuff the FBI can get into.

ETA:  You can't buy one, of course, I was just pointing out that such security does exist on Android, so someone could build the same level of security into a phone and sell it to the public.  I suspect if you tried though, you'd find yourself on the receiving end of your own FBI raid.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #77 on: August 10, 2022, 09:14:41 AM »
Business opportunity: provide strong encryption for cell phones with no "back door."

(Wasn't there a controversy a couple of years ago when fed.gov was unable to crack an I-Phone they'd seized - and Apple wouldn't help them?)

IIRC I believe you're referring to the San Bernardino Islamic terrorism shooting where they found the guy's phone and they wanted to know who he and his wife had been in contact with and Apple wouldn't give them the access.
It was later reported cracked by an Israeli firm
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #78 on: August 10, 2022, 09:16:13 AM »
Samsung makes Galaxy phones that meet DOD encryption standards for holding Secret info, accessing SIPR, and access to TS LAN networks (think local vehicle information sharing and drone feed access)  I'd bet we don't do that on stuff the FBI can get into.

ETA:  You can't buy one, of course, I was just pointing out that such security does exist on Android, so someone could build the same level of security into a phone and sell it to the public.  I suspect if you tried though, you'd find yourself on the receiving end of your own FBI raid.

We were just getting into "you can have a smartphone if you want" around a year before I separated, but they were so locked down that pretty much everything you get a smartphone for was useless. I ended up keeping my issued flip phone and additionally carried my personal smartphone.

I recognize that Android phones can be well-secured, but it's kind of a hassle for your average user. It seems like a ubiquitously available secure platform that doesn't overly constrict funcionality would be a good seller on the consumer market, but maybe your average person just doesn't care that much.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #79 on: August 10, 2022, 09:29:47 AM »
Wasn't just a quick visit according to this, they were there all day and even went through Melania's clothes
According to the latest information Devine learned, the FBI spent "hours" — agents were there from 9:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. — as they "scoured Melania Trump’s wardrobe and spent several hours combing through Donald Trump’s private office" and other private areas of the Trumps' vast Mar-A-Lago estate based on a warrant that "focused solely on presidential records and evidence of classified information being stored there."

Says over 30 agents

and

It was also reported that the FBI agents conducting the raid refused to allow President Trump's attorneys to observe their search — providing an opportunity to plant evidence, though no such accusations have been lodged so far. An accompanying request to disable security cameras on the property was refused by Trump's team, according to Devine.

FBI 'Scoured' Melania's Wardrobe at Mar-A-Lago Looking for... Classified Shoes?
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/spencerbrown/2022/08/10/fbi-scoured-melanias-wardrobe-at-mar-a-lago-looking-for-classified-shoes-n2611526
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #80 on: August 10, 2022, 09:37:48 AM »
Wasn't just a quick visit according to this, they were there all day and even went through Melania's clothes
Says over 30 agents

and

FBI 'Scoured' Melania's Wardrobe at Mar-A-Lago Looking for... Classified Shoes?
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/spencerbrown/2022/08/10/fbi-scoured-melanias-wardrobe-at-mar-a-lago-looking-for-classified-shoes-n2611526
Maybe they were looking for Don and Melania's phones . . .

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #81 on: August 10, 2022, 09:52:46 AM »
We were just getting into "you can have a smartphone if you want" around a year before I separated, but they were so locked down that pretty much everything you get a smartphone for was useless. I ended up keeping my issued flip phone and additionally carried my personal smartphone.

I recognize that Android phones can be well-secured, but it's kind of a hassle for your average user. It seems like a ubiquitously available secure platform that doesn't overly constrict funcionality would be a good seller on the consumer market, but maybe your average person just doesn't care that much.

The one SIPR GS9 I used was pretty much just like a normal phone.  Password only, no fingerprint unlock, and obviously it wouldn't go to the Play store and download RAID: Shadow Legends, but in use it was pretty normal to use.  I'm told the new GS20's are even better to use, but I haven't seen one in the flesh.

In general though, you can have secure, or you can have easy to use, not both.  It's a moot point though, because 99.9% of all smartphone users could have the most secure phone possible, and they'd install unknown 3rd party apps on the first day (coughTikTokcough)  I think you've hit the nail on the head.  The average person is not concerned about keeping a .gov level intruder out of their phone.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #82 on: August 10, 2022, 10:02:40 AM »
. . . I think you've hit the nail on the head.  The average person is not concerned about keeping a .gov level intruder out of their phone.
I think you're correct on this point - but someone who's active politically would. So the market would be congresscritters, some of the few remaining actual journalists around (e.g., Project Veritas people), prominent non-Democrat politicians and political operatives like campaign managers, EVERY former Trump administration employee and associate who hasn't denounced The Donald, practicing attorneys, parents who've opposed school policies ranging from masks to drag queen shows for their kids, etc.

Or maybe they'll just use "burner" phones for contacts they want to keep on the down low, and destroy those after every few hours of use.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #83 on: August 10, 2022, 11:11:32 AM »
IV:

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

Oh, but that's just part of that 230 year old piece of paper, so who cares? Besides, we need something beyond mere IRS audits to screw someone over.

And "cardboard boxes" is a particular description, no?

And so is "telephone records."

And so is "your house"

And your "pickup truck."

"unreasonable searches and seizures" is what they called "fishing expeditions" back in 1790.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 11:36:11 AM by 230RN »

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #84 on: August 10, 2022, 11:31:49 AM »
Hank, I agree that it would make sense for the people you described to want some data security, but in practice almost none of them actually buy one of the several secure phones in existence already, or even use one of the several programs offering enterprise level encryption for voice coms and messaging.  WhatsApp is about as secure as people seem to be willing to go (which at least will require the physical device, rather than letting your provider print out all your messages and hand it to LE).

Just a few of the currently available options:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/303307681294

https://puri.sm/products/librem-5-usa/

https://shop.sirinlabs.com/products/finney

Like I said, I've only been hands on with a DOD owned Samsung and it worked fine. But people don't, in practice, seem to care enough to buy a secure phone and put up with not having access to every little cool tech feature Apple slams into the new iPhone.  Congress critters seem to be worse than average about not caring about security, not better.  It defies logic, but market forces don't lie.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #85 on: August 10, 2022, 01:30:33 PM »
I didn't peruse this entire thread so maybe what I'll say has been brought up.

It seems to me that because Trump's lawyers were ejected and not allowed to watch the proceedings nor were they allowed to view what items were confiscated, unable to document if the only places they searched and or confiscated were spelled out in the warrant that any and all objects taken by the FBI would be inadmissible in any sort of criminal charge as those objects would be considered "Fruit of the Poisonous Tree" as the FBI violated Trump's right to have his attorney's present.

Of course that would depend on how corrupt the judge is who would decide on these things.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #86 on: August 10, 2022, 01:40:19 PM »
Once the warrant is served is there any legal requirement that the person themselves be allowed to stay?  Much less the person's representatives?

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #87 on: August 10, 2022, 01:55:55 PM »
I didn't peruse this entire thread so maybe what I'll say has been brought up.

It seems to me that because Trump's lawyers were ejected and not allowed to watch the proceedings nor were they allowed to view what items were confiscated, unable to document if the only places they searched and or confiscated were spelled out in the warrant that any and all objects taken by the FBI would be inadmissible in any sort of criminal charge as those objects would be considered "Fruit of the Poisonous Tree" as the FBI violated Trump's right to have his attorney's present.

Of course that would depend on how corrupt the judge is who would decide on these things.

They don’t care.  As long they get something to make him electoral kryptonite they’ve succeeded.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #88 on: August 10, 2022, 02:20:37 PM »
If Trump isn't electoral kryptonite already, nothing in those boxes will make him become it.  The true believers on both sides are beyond any new info changing their minds.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #89 on: August 10, 2022, 03:45:33 PM »
https://www.newsweek.com/exclusive-informer-told-fbi-what-docs-trump-was-hiding-where-1732283

According to this article, there was an informant in the Trump camp and a Trump attorney was present during the search.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 10, 2022, 04:43:26 PM »
I'm still befuddled that Blackberry is essentially out of business in the consumer phone marketplace. They (and Nextel) used to be the standard when I first started getting issued a gov phone.

2013: Our new Ford Escape Titanium has "SYNC" by Microsoft. It has issues, STILL does. Later, in December 11, 2014, Ford announced Sync 3, which will replace MyFord Touch, will have simpler features and will be powered by QNX software by BlackBerry Limited instead of Microsoft!!! Future versions will run on the Android operating system from Google!

I see that I can upgrade our system to SYNC 3 but dunno if it's worth it on this 2013 SUV.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #91 on: August 10, 2022, 04:44:45 PM »
This guy says it would be difficult for this to be corruption/political because of all the individual steps to get the warrant. Yet he does say that there is a high probability this went all the way to the AG for sign off. It will be interesting to see what's in the warrant when it becomes public.

Which aside from this particular bullshit, makes me glad Garland never made it to the SC. Between his attacks on parents and his continually identifying everyone and their brother as extremists, he appears to have quietly become one of the most political AGs ever.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/fbi-raids-trumps-mar-a-lago-unprecedented-agency-execute-search-warrant-former-president

Ought to be revealed soon, too. Look how soon the Roe v. Wade decision was leaked. Oh, wait! Wrong political direction! Sorry.

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

230RN

• friend
« Reply #92 on: August 10, 2022, 04:52:38 PM »
Sneaky thought I can't dispel:  "What if the attorney was the informer?"

(Assuming all suppositions are correct. This kind of laundry isn't drip-dry wrinkle-free.  What, you never heard of counter-counter-counter-counter counterintelligence operatives?)

=D

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #94 on: August 10, 2022, 09:47:55 PM »
We should all be thankful for Trump for saying some of the quiet stuff out loud. More people are in varying stages of being awake than there was before his presidency. That alone makes him a good if not great President. It was probably too little too late but it was something.   

Of course I voted for GW twice and now despise him greatly. There's a good chance that I'll despise Trump some day the same way once more info is leaked out. The flower fell off his bloom for me when he embraced the experimental gene therapy "vaccine". That's a big red flag I still can't get past.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #95 on: August 10, 2022, 09:56:08 PM »
What if... the feebs are tired of the crap, and ensured that anything found wouldn't be allowed to be admissible?

2020-too is getting so oulde...
Blog under construction

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #96 on: August 10, 2022, 10:21:19 PM »
I can't remember the link anymore, but like a year or two ago, perd posted a link to some guy who tells you how or will do it for you and also sells smartphones that are completely locked down from snoopers. I've on occasion thought that would be a good investment.

Not sure if he's still doing it

https://www.youtube.com/c/BraxMe

https://brax.me/home/rob
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Pb

• friend
« Reply #97 on: August 10, 2022, 10:27:35 PM »
We should all be thankful for Trump for saying some of the quiet stuff out loud.

What quiet things?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #98 on: August 10, 2022, 11:00:44 PM »
I don't know if it was what Trump said or just the leftist's reaction to him.  The left's reaction to him was to almost completely drop any illusion of being centrist or moderate.  They all started acting and speaking as hard leftists and showed a very hard authoritarian view.  I am not sure we have yet seen the full public response to that.  I think a lot of the exposure to that has generated a great deal of amateur response on YouTube and other platforms that has exposed a lot of stuff people didn't realize.  It has kicked off independent outfits like Daily Wire.  I don't think we have seen the end of that trend. 

On another note:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VVD9NdrltI
Victor Davis Hanson did this interview a couple weeks ago.  One thing he mentioned that was unique among Republican Presidents is his Supreme Court nominations haven't become leftists.  You can argue about some decisions, but mostly they have been good.  That is an interesting difference. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• friend
« Reply #99 on: August 11, 2022, 06:57:10 AM »

On another note:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VVD9NdrltI
Victor Davis Hanson did this interview a couple weeks ago.  One thing he mentioned that was unique among Republican Presidents is his Supreme Court nominations haven't become leftists.  You can argue about some decisions, but mostly they have been good.  That is an interesting difference.

I always figured that leftist brainwashing took place around the water coolers of SCOTUS. It's just like advertising.  Truth doesn't matter, only the number of psychological impacts do.

"Hey, newbie.  We, the Supreme Court Justices, are here to insure the benefit of the people."  Repeat ad infinitum.

It doesn't matter that the "benefit of the people" was codified 200+ years ago by some pretty sharp cookies.  What matters is that the prevailing concepts of "benefit" be served, and that these prevailing concepts are repeated and repeated... around the Supreme Court water coolers.

Trump, not being a practiced politician, probably figured this out and rather than make "compromise" nominations who would flex with the wind near the water coolers, made nominations who he figured would stick to their guns. Ahem, koff, koff.

That's the way I see it.  Successive conceptual impacts by the leftist do-gooders on the Court were no longer going to be effective.

"Tell a lie often enough...."

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: August 11, 2022, 07:17:04 AM by 230RN »