Author Topic: Mar-A-Lago raided and occupied by FBI  (Read 16083 times)

HankB

• friend
Re: Mar-A-Lago raided and occupied by FBI
« Reply #300 on: August 28, 2022, 08:40:31 AM »
I still find it instructive that the .gov has its collective knickers in a twist over some boxes of paper in a closet at Trump's private residence, where nobody had access to them ... but that same .gov hasn't done anything about the fact that Hilary Clinton (who did NOT have final classification/declassification authority) had classified documents on her unsecured, personal server in her home, where hackers from all over the world had access to them.
Mar-A-Lago had a TS/SCI facility built when Trump became POTUS, and of course, Mar-A-Lago (at least the POTUS' residence portion) still has round-th-clock Secret Service protection, too. I'm pretty sure if I tried to clandestinely or forcibly access the documents I'd be sitting in a jail cell right now . . . assuming I even survived the attempt.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #301 on: August 28, 2022, 08:42:18 AM »
Mar-A-Lago had a TS/SCI facility built when Trump became POTUS, and of course, Mar-A-Lago (at least the POTUS' residence portion) still has round-th-clock Secret Service protection, too. I'm pretty sure if I tried to clandestinely or forcibly access the documents I'd be sitting in a jail cell right now . . . assuming I even survived the attempt.

Why bother with the cost?  I hear closets and bathrooms are basically SCIFs as they are.  [popcorn]

HankB

• friend
« Reply #302 on: August 28, 2022, 04:06:28 PM »
Why bother with the cost?  I hear closets and bathrooms are basically SCIFs as they are.  [popcorn]
They're good enough for servers, for sure.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #303 on: August 28, 2022, 06:08:49 PM »
Those wiley FBI agents will catch that Trump yet!
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #304 on: August 28, 2022, 06:19:39 PM »
Those wiley FBI agents will catch that Trump yet!

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #305 on: August 29, 2022, 09:12:34 AM »
It it these documents the FBI is so upset about?
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-russia/trump-says-he-has-declassified-documents-related-to-russia-clinton-email-probes-idUSKBN26S030
I think the FBI has been ignoring or fighting Trump's order to declassify all the documents related to the Russia nonsense and the probe into Clinton's email stuff. I don't recall them ever being released. Perhaps they are worried he has copies of these documents and would release them?

Sorry you fell for it, but Trump just says whatever he wants on Twitter (or "Truth") and doesn't actually mean it.
The president indicated to me that his statements on Twitter were not self-executing declassification orders, and do not required the declassification or release of any particular documents
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #306 on: August 29, 2022, 12:25:56 PM »

"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #307 on: August 29, 2022, 12:28:43 PM »
Sorry you fell for it, but Trump just says whatever he wants on Twitter (or "Truth") and doesn't actually mean it.

Fell for what? I posted a link so people would know what I was referring to. The link isn't fake, it's from Reuters. The link you posted shows that Trump intended to declassify all the documents. You can quibble about redactions. I never said a word about redactions. Were the documents actually released? I don't believe they were, but could be wrong hence the question in my post. Maybe try having a discussion instead of assuming you know what someone else is thinking and trying to insult them.

DittoHead

• friend
« Reply #308 on: August 29, 2022, 01:12:33 PM »
Fell for what?
Trump saying one thing on social media and then the opposite behind the scenes.
Were the documents actually released? I don't believe they were, but could be wrong hence the question in my post.
The documents weren't released because the Trump admin argued in court (where it counts) that that his "orders" on Twitter were basically meaningless.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2022, 01:25:09 PM by DittoHead »
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #309 on: August 29, 2022, 01:47:12 PM »
Trump saying one thing on social media and then the opposite behind the scenes. The documents weren't released because the Trump admin argued in court (where it counts) that that his "orders" on Twitter were basically meaningless.

The document says he gave the attorney general the power to release them. He intended them to be released. Yah know what, it isn’t worth it. I think there is an ignore feature. First time time I ever felt the need to use it. It’s obvious you are more interested in being confrontational and condescending than having a conversation.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #310 on: August 29, 2022, 03:38:02 PM »
Trump saying one thing on social media and then the opposite behind the scenes. The documents weren't released because the Trump admin argued in court (where it counts) that that his "orders" on Twitter were basically meaningless.

Most all the comments I see are just speculation as none of us were there.  At this point, I don't think the FBI is any more worthy of trust than Trump's twitter account. 

IMO, if there was hard evidence in the documents seized, they likely would have already been leaked.  Now it is just lawyers arguing in court over classification/declassification details. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #311 on: August 29, 2022, 03:52:45 PM »
IMO, if there was hard evidence in the documents seized, they likely would have already been leaked. 

This is where I am with pretty much anything the FBI (or ATF or DOJ, etc.) do and say as of now, for anything, not just Trump. If they had irrefutable evidence, they would have presented it instead of playing redaction games or, "We can't release "X" concrete evidence due to security, judicial process, or any other lame excuse we can come up with, but here's oodles of circumstantial stuff that just causes more questions."

I'm getting tired of, "We can't release the primary evidence, but here's some unrelated stuff to rile everybody up."
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #312 on: August 29, 2022, 03:53:38 PM »
Where's the beef?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #314 on: August 29, 2022, 08:57:02 PM »
 :rofl:
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #315 on: August 29, 2022, 09:19:14 PM »
The document says he gave the attorney general the power to release them. He intended them to be released. Yah know what, it isn’t worth it. I think there is an ignore feature. First time time I ever felt the need to use it. It’s obvious you are more interested in being confrontational and condescending than having a conversation.
He says he writes for the Bulwork since 2019. He is one of William Kristols neocon bois. When you see nations burning all around you it's their policies reaching their natural conclusions. Looking at how they wrecked the Republican party I would say that was probably the mission all along.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

DittoHead

• friend
« Reply #316 on: August 30, 2022, 08:22:39 AM »
He says he writes for the Bulwork since 2019. He is one of William Kristols neocon bois. When you see nations burning all around you it's their policies reaching their natural conclusions. Looking at how they wrecked the Republican party I would say that was probably the mission all along.
You're being too confrontational and condescending!! Where's that ignore feature?:police:
You also overestimate my influence by just a little bit I think. It's really my partners, the lizard people, that deserve most of the credit.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #317 on: August 30, 2022, 08:29:16 AM »
He says he writes for the Bulwork since 2019.

In fairness, I think that might be in his profile because in a 2019 thread where we disagreed on some topic, I was being a smartass and asked him if he wrote for the Bulwark.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

DittoHead

• friend
« Reply #318 on: August 30, 2022, 08:37:01 AM »
In fairness, I think that might be in his profile because in a 2019 thread where we disagreed on some topic, I was being a smartass and asked him if he wrote for the Bulwark.

Ben is correct. =)

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #319 on: August 30, 2022, 08:39:19 AM »
You're being too confrontational and condescending!! Where's that ignore feature?:police:
You also overestimate my influence by just a little bit I think. It's really my partners, the lizard people, that deserve most of the credit.
Hello I'm Ron, I spend my time screaming into the void, banging my head against the wall and arguing politics online.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #320 on: August 30, 2022, 09:11:13 AM »
Hello I'm Ron, I spend my time screaming into the void, banging my head against the wall and arguing politics online.

It's funny how we all have a similar profile on APS.  ;)
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

DittoHead

• friend
« Reply #321 on: August 31, 2022, 11:27:46 AM »
they took THREE Trump passports -- his current one, and two expired ones. Supposedly those have since been returned, but what possible justification could they possibly have for taking them in the first place?
They mentioned the passports in the latest filing:
Plaintiff repeatedly claims that his passports were outside the scope of the warrant and improperly seized, and that the government, in returning them, has admitted as much. See D.E. 1 at 2 & n.2; D.E. 28 at 3, 8, 9. These claims are incorrect. Consistent with Attachment B to the search warrant, the government seized the contents of a desk drawer that contained classified documents and governmental records commingled with other documents. The other documents included two official passports, one of which was expired, and one personal passport, which was expired. The location of the passports is relevant evidence in an investigation of unauthorized retention and mishandling of national defense information; nonetheless, the government decided to return those passports in its discretion.

It also makes note that no indication was made about the supposed declassification:
These communications ultimately resulted in the provision of fifteen boxes (hereinafter, the “Fifteen Boxes”) from former President Trump to NARA in January 2022 When producing the Fifteen Boxes, the former President never asserted executive privilege over any of the documents nor claimed that any of the documents in the boxes containing classification markings had been declassified.
On June 3, 2022, three FBI agents and a DOJ attorney arrived at the Premises to accept receipt of the materials. In addition to counsel for the former President, another individual was also present as the custodian of records for the former President’s post-presidential office. When producing the documents, neither counsel nor the custodian asserted that the former President had declassified the documents or asserted any claim of executive privilege. Instead, counsel handled them in a manner that suggested counsel believed that the documents were classified: the production included a single Redweld envelope, double-wrapped in tape, containing the documents.
I have the same question as before - If Trump really did declassify all these documents why didn't he ever say so in the months of back forth between NARA/DOJ/himself & his lawyers? If he declassified them in the interest of transparency, why didn't he ever release any of them?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #322 on: August 31, 2022, 12:48:15 PM »
Why do you assume the Justice Dept isn't omitting facts that don't help their case? 

Why did they lie and say the White House found out about the raid on twitter?  (that was the press people, not the lawyers.  The changing narrative on this is odd.) 

I heard there was some law that had a provision about barring someone from running for office if they violate classified document laws.  I don't remember the exact wording mentioned, but that was speculated as a reason for pursuing the issue. 
« Last Edit: August 31, 2022, 04:14:50 PM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #323 on: August 31, 2022, 04:24:42 PM »

I heard there was some law that had a provision about barring someone from running for office if they violate classified document laws.  I don't remember the exact wording mentioned, but that was speculated as a reason for pursuing the issue.

There has been talk by pundits about that, I don't recall exactly who, but I've heard it a few times. Mark Levin may have mentioned it. I usually don't listen to him, but sometimes catch a few minutes since he is one the same AM station I sometime listen to in the car. I think maybe Alan Dershowitz may have been on a TV segment I caught saying the same. Many of those pundits say the law wouldn't likely pass constitutional muster since election requirements to be eligible for the office of president are rather explicit in the constitution. They say this law can't override that.

DittoHead

• friend
« Reply #324 on: August 31, 2022, 05:14:44 PM »
Why do you assume the Justice Dept isn't omitting facts that don't help their case? 
It's pretty clear that all the facts aren't available yet. However, to their credit, the DOJ did include the letter from Trump's lawyer preemptively making the case against a warrant as an attachment to the warrant affidavit.

Why did they lie and say the White House found out about the raid on twitter?  (that was the press people, not the lawyers.  The changing narrative on this is odd.)
Because they are liars and that's what liars tend to do. Unfortunately, in modern politics there doesn't seem to be a significant penalty for lying to the media. Hypocrisy either for that matter. The Trump admin seemed to find it funny to lie to the fake news, and then call them on their lies. I think the Biden admin often just lies to get them off their back for a bit, telling them what they think the "best" answer is so can they be done talking. While the Trump admin had outright disdain for the press, the Biden admin seems to see them as an annoyance.