Author Topic: Mar-A-Lago raided and occupied by FBI  (Read 16029 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Mar-A-Lago raided and occupied by FBI
« Reply #325 on: August 31, 2022, 06:24:36 PM »
I heard there was some law that had a provision about barring someone from running for office if they violate classified document laws.  I don't remember the exact wording mentioned, but that was speculated as a reason for pursuing the issue.

Yes, I think this is the reason for this witch hunt -- to disqualify Trump from running again.

My biggest problem with all this is that the entire country knows Hilary had classified documents on her unsecured personal server -- at her home, where there was infinitely more chance of foreign eyes getting access to them than a bunch of boxes in Trump's private quarters at Mar-a-Lago -- but nobody seems to care about that. Apparently what's sauce for the goose isn't sauce for the gander.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2022, 02:35:56 AM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #326 on: August 31, 2022, 06:42:17 PM »
Apparently what's sauce for the goose isn't sauce for the gander.

No *expletive deleted*it. Welcome to 1992. Remember Clinton raped a girl and no one [D] cared. After all he played a mean Sax.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #327 on: August 31, 2022, 10:09:19 PM »
Attorney General Merrick Garland Threatens DOJ Employees About Contacting Congress – In the Current Environment He Appears to be Breaking the Law
https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2022/08/breaking-attorney-general-merrick-garland-orders-no-one-doj-contact-congress-breaks-law/

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #328 on: September 01, 2022, 07:38:10 AM »
No *expletive deleted*it. Welcome to 1992. Remember Clinton raped a girl and no one [D] cared. After all he played a mean Sax.
Also remember Ted Kennedy murdered a woman in 1969. It probably kept him out of the White House, but despite his clumsy drunken attempt to cover it up, he remained in the Senate and was never locked up. Of course, he was a D - any R would have probably died in prison.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #329 on: September 01, 2022, 07:39:23 AM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #330 on: September 01, 2022, 08:05:03 AM »
DOJ will not announce any charges against Trump until after the November elections.

https://twitchy.com/amy-313134/2022/08/31/feds-likely-to-wait-until-after-november-election-to-announce-any-charges-against-trump/

The DoJ pretty much has to charge Trump with something.  They've promoted this farce so far that to not charge Trump makes them look like bigger idiots than they already are.
The timing of the charges when they finally come down will be interesting.  There must be a lot of debate within the DNC DoJ when to indict Trump.  Before or after the mid-terms?  Which would be more helpful to the Democrat's election prospects?
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #331 on: September 01, 2022, 08:10:39 AM »
There must be a lot of debate within the DNC DoJ when to indict Trump.  Before or after the mid-terms?  Which would be more helpful to the Democrat's election prospects?
It depends on what they can accuse him of.  If they've got something serious they can push then before would be better.

If they can only come up with something minor then coming out and saying "we are deferring charges until after November" lets people's imaginations and media/politicians who oppose trump to fill in the gaps.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #332 on: September 01, 2022, 08:24:10 AM »
The DoJ pretty much has to charge Trump with something.  They've promoted this farce so far that to not charge Trump makes them look like bigger idiots than they already are.
The timing of the charges when they finally come down will be interesting.  There must be a lot of debate within the DNC DoJ when to indict Trump.  Before or after the mid-terms?  Which would be more helpful to the Democrat's election prospects?

They could always hold a press conference, lay out the ways Trump broke the law, and then conclude no reasonable prosecutor would bring such a case.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #333 on: September 01, 2022, 09:13:13 AM »
They could always hold a press conference, lay out the ways Trump broke the law, and then conclude no reasonable prosecutor would bring such a case.

Now where did we see that before….lol

Pb

• friend
« Reply #334 on: September 01, 2022, 10:24:23 AM »

:rofl:

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #335 on: September 01, 2022, 12:24:53 PM »
If they can only come up with something minor
There's always  process crimes.
Classified information cases are very difficult to do, even without the added complication of a suspect who happens to have been the only official in government with the power to declassify any intelligence. It is hard to prove the case without risking disclosure of the intelligence. And a prosecution centering on unlawful retention of government records has its own complications. Post-Watergate, when Congress enacted the Presidential Records Act, lawmakers did not include criminal enforcement provisions. The Justice Department now believes that gap has been filled by a different statute (sec. 2071), which criminalizes the removal or concealment of government records. Maybe so, but the question would have to be litigated.

By contrast, obstruction is uncomplicated and easy to prove. There would be no need to get into the content of government documents, classified or not. The case would focus on Trump’s allegedly lying about having government records and concealing them. What’s in the documents is beside the point.[/url].
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #336 on: September 01, 2022, 12:43:50 PM »
There's always  process crimes.
In which case you would be best served to hold off until after November to charge so that people can keep running around claiming Trump was selling nuclear codes and selling lists of our spies to Russia.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #337 on: September 01, 2022, 01:25:38 PM »
The charge will be that he stole office supplies, the manila folders the declassified files were in!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #338 on: September 01, 2022, 01:27:25 PM »
The charge will be that he stole office supplies, the manila folders the declassified files were in!

And drank a cup of break room coffee without putting money in the money cup.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #339 on: September 01, 2022, 02:51:19 PM »
So they have nothing but can taint every candidate he appears with. Good plan really because you sure as hell cannot put your guy on the campaign trail more to counteract Trump.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #340 on: September 01, 2022, 03:03:51 PM »
If Trump is half as smart as he thinks he is, he would have had some kind of auditable process for declassifying documents.  He knew The Swamp was out to get him.  It doesn't have to be an onerous process, but it should be *something*.

Just saying "I declassified that" should be enough to provide reasonable doubt in a criminal case, because perhaps he really did.  If he had a subordinate enter into a ledger the document titles and the date and time they were declassified, that would give him a political defense as well.  Or just a rubber stamp that said "DECLASSIFIED" for the first page and a place for his initials.
"It's good, though..."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #341 on: September 01, 2022, 09:48:52 PM »
In which case you would be best served to hold off until after November to charge so that people can keep running around claiming Trump was selling nuclear codes and selling lists of our spies to Russia.
I saw an opinion article that they would do just that.  Supposedly some rule about not investigate or charge candidates within 60 days of an election so they would wait.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #342 on: September 01, 2022, 10:05:51 PM »
I saw an opinion article that they would do just that.  Supposedly some rule about not investigate or charge candidates within 60 days of an election so they would wait.
That is a convenient excuse to do what benefits them the most. As far as I know he is not a declared candidate for anything.

DittoHead

• friend
« Reply #343 on: September 02, 2022, 02:18:32 PM »
The full inventory from the raid has now been released
https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.flsd.618763/gov.uscourts.flsd.618763.39.1_1.pdf
I'm not sure how Trump's team could claim they complied with the subpoena given that list.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #344 on: September 02, 2022, 02:52:06 PM »
https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.flsd.618763/gov.uscourts.flsd.618763.39.1_1.pdf
I'm not sure how Trump's team could claim they complied with the subpoena given that list.
How can you tell?  It really says nothing more than what was already said.  Stuff with classified markings. 

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #345 on: September 02, 2022, 03:01:14 PM »

They've got him now!
The walls are closing in!

DittoHead

• friend
« Reply #346 on: September 02, 2022, 03:07:38 PM »
How can you tell?  It really says nothing more than what was already said.  Stuff with classified markings.
This is what the grand jury subpoena in early June required they turn over:
Any and all documents or writings in the custody or control of Donald J. Trump and/or the Office of Donald J. Trump bearing classification markings, including but not limited to the following: Top Secret, Secret, Confidential,..(many more markings).., S/SI, C, and C/NF.

They've got him now!
I assume he'll throw his lawyer(s) under the bus since one of them actually signed off on complying with the subpoena.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #347 on: September 02, 2022, 04:43:59 PM »
They've got him now!
The walls are closing in!

How many times does this make it now?
They've had him more times than the Japanese reported they sank the Enterprise
And DittoHead has said that's it every time.
Then it turns into a nothing burger.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #348 on: September 02, 2022, 04:47:05 PM »
Empty folders!

Trump investigation: Empty folders marked classified found at Mar-a-Lago
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-62771613
- Calvin and Hobbes

DittoHead

• friend
« Reply #349 on: September 02, 2022, 05:28:37 PM »
And DittoHead has said that's it every time.
You sure? I don't tend to make predictions like that.