Author Topic: Euthanasia in Canada  (Read 1217 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Euthanasia in Canada
« on: August 12, 2022, 09:45:50 AM »
Philosophically, I am not opposed to the concept, but Canada seems to be somewhat loose in how they provide these services.  Washington permits assisted suicide, but it is difficult to find a provider to help; none of the large academic, religious, or secular healthcare systems allow their providers to do this.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/health/experts-see-canadas-euthanasia-laws-as-threat-to-disabled/

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Pb

• friend
Re: Euthanasia in Canada
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2022, 11:19:20 AM »
I can understand how some people can be so ill, they would want to die.  I have been there myself.

But...

If God wanted people to kill themselves, he wouldn't have given us the sixth commandment.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2022, 01:12:52 PM »
First it's allowed. Then it's encouraged. How long before it's required?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2022, 02:50:11 PM »
Soon, there's too many boomers. It won't be evenly applied I suspect.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2022, 04:53:51 PM »

I hear that in many countries with socialized medicine it basically indirectly happens when treatment is withheld by the .gov

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2022, 05:15:34 PM »

Based on historical precedent, you got the picture.

If they can put it in an inch, they'll put it in eight inches.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2022, 05:39:05 PM »
If they can put it in an inch, they'll put it in eight inches.

Thaaaaat's what she said.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Pb

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2022, 07:39:50 PM »
I hear that in many countries with socialized medicine it basically indirectly happens when treatment is withheld by the .gov

Whoever pays for your medical treatment will determine what you are allowed to have and how much.... whether it is you, your  insurance company, or the government.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2022, 07:51:36 PM »
How is that different than where we are now?

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2022, 10:23:48 PM »
How is that different than where we are now?

Not very. I don't feel like I used to hear about so many denied surgeries. My dad is basically on a no surgery plan since no one will bite that risk sandwich. I have seen stuff delayed or cancelled over blood sugar, or smoking, or anything else that raises the risk.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2022, 02:35:34 PM »
Not very. I don't feel like I used to hear about so many denied surgeries. My dad is basically on a no surgery plan since no one will bite that risk sandwich. I have seen stuff delayed or cancelled over blood sugar, or smoking, or anything else that raises the risk.

yup, my late older sister couldn't quit smoking and would have gotten a lung transplant if she had
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2022, 04:21:52 PM »
Years back there were stories floating around about doctors in Holland performing euthanasia on patients without their or their family's consent.  Supposedly is was being done to free up hospital beds and other medical resources.  These stories started appearing a few years after euthanasia was legalized in Holland.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2022, 08:14:00 PM »
The one that controls your medical care in the USA is your wallet. I can't get a free yearly because I have leukemia. 
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2022, 12:13:06 AM »
Years back there were stories floating around about doctors in Holland performing euthanasia on patients without their or their family's consent.  Supposedly is was being done to free up hospital beds and other medical resources.  These stories started appearing a few years after euthanasia was legalized in Holland.

Former colleague got an infection while on vacation in Vietnam.  He was ex-pat to India at the time.  Went our Dutch division for medical treatment.  They refused him antibiotics because he wasn’t “actively dying”.  And they wouldn’t transfer him to the UK until the CEO of the company got involved.

While I never want to wind up in an Indian or other 2nd/3rd world country hospital, I equally don’t ever want to wind up in a Dutch hospital either.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2022, 12:12:59 AM »

"Logan's Run".  [popcorn]
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2022, 05:37:14 PM »
More fun stuff from Canada.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/canada-offered-assisted-suicide-paralympian-veteran-wanted-wheelchair-lift-installed-report

I wonder how much of the righteous indignation from the Canadian officials is because this got publicized and not because of it's heinous nature.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2022, 05:51:18 PM »
I'm not sure G-d should be displeased about your wanting to hasten being with Him in extremis.

I'm also not sure to "kill" or to "murder" applies to oneself since killing and murdering would, in my mind, imply this was not voluntary on the part of the victim, whereas suicide of the "victim" is, assisted or not.

Of course, that's just secular logic, not canonical logic --which latter sometimes escapes me altogether.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: December 04, 2022, 06:29:14 PM by 230RN »

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2022, 06:25:08 PM »
Considering how much health care is supplied by the Govt these days, I am surprised anyone here is ok with assisted suicide.  Seems to me it conflicts with a lot of opinions I see here about the death penalty. 

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2022, 07:02:14 PM »
Considering how much health care is supplied by the Govt these days, I am surprised anyone here is ok with assisted suicide.  Seems to me it conflicts with a lot of opinions I see here about the death penalty.

That's non sensical.  Suicide is voluntary,  execution is very much not.

It does seem, according to Twitter,  that Canada may be a little free with suggesting suicide.  Especially to mentally ill young folks. One thing to make it available in end of life decisions,  quite another to suggest it when treatment may be difficult or expensive.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2022, 08:20:46 PM »
That's non sensical.  Suicide is voluntary,  execution is very much not.

It does seem, according to Twitter,  that Canada may be a little free with suggesting suicide.  Especially to mentally ill young folks. One thing to make it available in end of life decisions,  quite another to suggest it when treatment may be difficult or expensive.
First, Canada is just further along the path of where it will inevitably lead.  Second, with execution most people tend to assume the person is guilty but there are proven cases where that wasn't true.  Going forward, I am not sure it will always be safe to assume voluntary consent was obtained either.  Probably not a big concern now, but we will see. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2022, 07:30:59 PM »
First, Canada is just further along the path of where it will inevitably lead.  Second, with execution most people tend to assume the person is guilty but there are proven cases where that wasn't true.  Going forward, I am not sure it will always be safe to assume voluntary consent was obtained either.  Probably not a big concern now, but we will see.

This is a sanguine, but prophetic, assessment.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

grampster

• friend
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2022, 07:43:47 PM »
"While I never want to wind up in an Indian or other 2nd/3rd world country hospital, I equally don’t ever want to wind up in a Dutch hospital either.'

You won't have to worry.  There won't be any Dutch hospitals.  In fact, maybe no Dutch people as they'll all starve to death. The Dutch government is actively trying to shut down all their farms in the interest of stopping Globular Wormening.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Pb

• friend
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2022, 10:19:48 PM »
The "slippery slope fallacy" actually isn't a fallacy at all.

Once a country decides it knows better than God when it comes to killing innocent, people we should expect them become even more visibly vile.

They start by killing children in the womb (abortion is legal until birth in Canada, like some US states), then killing "terminally ill" people, then people were sick but not terminally, then sick children and ill babies....

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2022, 11:41:10 PM »
I don't want to start big argument about it.  There isn't much to argue about at this point.  It is just something to keep an eye out for as I figure too many people lack basic ethics and make poor decisions when budgets are tight or other temptations press. 

230RN

• friend
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2022, 09:41:21 AM »
What gives?  Tickled by the above, I found Nurses killing people like it was an epidemic:

Nurse Charles Cullen  400 people killed

Nurse Niels Hoegel  85  people killed

Nurse's aide, Donald Harvey 24 people killed

Nurse Genene Jones 1 toddler killed, 60 small children suspected

See also:
https://thoughtcatalog.com/jim-goad/2020/01/killer-nurses-20-caregivers-who-murdered-their-patients/

Very interesting.