Author Topic: New tractor tires, tube or tubeless?  (Read 783 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
New tractor tires, tube or tubeless?
« on: August 14, 2022, 10:13:38 AM »
Last time I was here, we had a flat fixed on my dad's old Yanmar tractor.  (the tire guy patched the tube)  The same tire is flat again.  All 4 tires are dry-rotted with holes in the sidewalls and the cords showing.  Rather than repair it again we are going to replace all 4 tires (ouch!)  When I got a quote on the tires in May, they were $260 apiece.  Now the price is $325.  The tubes are another $50 each.

They said if the wheels are okay (and I think they are) we could run them tubeless and save some money.  Also if one gets a puncture, I can plug it myself in the field and you can't do that in a tube tire.

My dad always put water in the tubes for cheap wheel weights.  We're not planning to do that; any tractor work that requires that much traction we will hire someone with their own tractor.  This one will just be used for mowing and occasionally pulling out stuck vehicles or small stumps.  I guess you could put water in a tubeless tire but it will rust the wheels a lot faster.  Putting 100# of lead shot or steel BBs in each tire would be interesting but expensive.

I've never heard of running tractor tires without tubes.  What say y'all?  I'd mostly be doing it just to save $150.

BTW, we can't find "F" type front tires in the right size, I don't think they make 'em anymore.  But we did find "R" tires the right size.  It's a 2WD tractor; should I have the tires mounted with the chevrons pointing to the back since the front axle is not driven?  If I make a mistake here it's easy to fix by just swapping them.
"It's good, though..."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: New tractor tires, tube or tubeless?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2022, 10:36:48 AM »
Are the rims made from two pancake stampings welded togeher? If so, hase the seam been sealed?

Also, only $325 per tire? Count yourself lucky.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2022, 11:32:04 AM »
Tubeless. I just spent more than that on 2 front tractor tires.
If you are adding fluid ballast please use rimguard or another rust inhibiting fluid
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2022, 11:37:13 AM »
I thought most new tractor tires are tubeless now? At least on compact/utility tractors. I like tubeless as I can patch my own tires, at least on the front. For weight, if I'm doing roadwork or just hauling stuff in the bucket, I just leave my box blade attached and that seems to give plenty of counterweight on the back.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2022, 12:04:58 PM »
They're probably all tubeless tires, but you can put a tube in them anyway.  I don't know what kind of wheels they are (they are steel wheels), so they might have a leaky weld seam in the middle.   The tractor is a 1970's Yanmar, probably gray-market.  The tire sizes are 11.2-24 and 6.00-14.

About 30 years ago I had to find R1 tires for a 1950's David Bradley (Sears) tractor, I think the size was 6.70-15.  Those were really hard to find, I bet impossible now. 
"It's good, though..."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2022, 12:31:25 PM »
Even on the tubeless tires you want a tube in there. I have had cases where even with new tires you can’t keep the tires inflated without tubes.  Tractor supply and similar stores carry tubes for good prices. I’ve taken the tire and a tube I bought to the tire shop when they didn’t have them for them to add them.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2022, 12:03:52 AM »
Not quite the same as a tractor, but on the riding mowers I use tubes.  They came from the factory tubeless, couldn't keep air in them.  Two different brand/year mowers, bought new, two sets of tires on each, same air problem. 

Only problem with tubes is having to dismount the tire to repair a puncture.  Usually only have to break the bead on one side to make the repair.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2022, 04:59:14 AM »
What pressure do you run your tractor tires at?

I've done tubeless conversions on my motorcycle, but I don't think it'd hold the bead to the rim in mucky or sandy conditions at under 20-25psi.  I'd expect the same to hold true for a tractor, and beadlocks would be required if going tubeless.

I've got a little utility cart we use as a wheelbarrow that has 4 tubed tires on it that have finally rotted their sidewalls and repeatedly punctured their tubes to where slime won't fix it any more.  I need to source replacement tubes and tires, or complete wheel/tire assemblies, to get it functional again.  It's a PITA to move it around the yard empty right now, the tires are so flat.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2022, 07:35:40 AM »
I'm not sure what pressure we run them, but it's not much.  12 psi in the back maybe?  Or 15?  A little more in the front tires, I'll guess 20.  Sounds like I should pay extra for the tubes.  I don't think I can reseat a tubeless tractor tire myself, and if any of the wheels leak I'll be paying for another road service call.  (I could probably break the bead and put a tube in myself but not sure; I've never done it, and that's a lot of work)
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2022, 07:58:27 AM »
On my little 35hp, I run 35psi in the back and 45psi in the front. I could run the front lower for a lot of stuff, but keep them up (max on the sidewall says 50) since I use the front bucket so much.

There's no way I'm ever doing the rear tires myself. I already have one hernia. I'm lucky that the tire shop in town does mobile service, and will happily pay them to do the work.  =)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2022, 10:21:22 AM »
Ditch the tubes all together and go full "black hat*", get yourself some steel wheels!! ;)

bob

* Mennonite

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2022, 12:21:24 PM »
Mountainbikers have several sealants that are used so they can run tubeless. Solves the problem of popping the seal and burping out all the air, seals punctures from nails, thorns etc. Allows Mb's to run lower pressures for traction.

Some guys will run for a few years just adding a little air and sealant occasionally.

Stans is the most popular brand. It doesn't turn into as much as a mess as the tire sealant for cars but is still messy in that it stays liquid for quite a while.

Don't know why it wouldn't work in a tractor tire.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2022, 12:25:47 PM »
It just occurred to me a potential issue would be valve stems. Using Stans requires using a particular valve stem for pumping in the sealant.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

PEfarmer

• friends
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2022, 04:52:20 PM »
Tubeless only.  Biggest problem with tubes is that sometimes the tire will slip on the rim, and the stem gets pulled out of the tube.  I HATE tubes in tractor/implement tires.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2022, 05:54:23 PM »
Tubeless only.  Biggest problem with tubes is that sometimes the tire will slip on the rim, and the stem gets pulled out of the tube.  I HATE tubes in tractor/implement tires.

Do tractors use rim locks like dirt bikes and Jeeps have?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2022, 05:55:37 PM »
Ditch the tubes all together and go full "black hat*", get yourself some steel wheels!! ;)

bob

* Mennonite

There's a lot to be said for that.  I might look into it...  (no idea where one would bet iron tires for a semi-modern tractor)
"It's good, though..."

PEfarmer

• friends
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2022, 03:11:57 PM »
Do tractors use rim locks like dirt bikes and Jeeps have?

None of ours, and none that I've ever seen.