Author Topic: Amazon Prime Strangeness  (Read 2298 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Amazon Prime Strangeness
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2022, 08:21:10 AM »
It appears another issue is cropping up in the areas with delayed shipping. People not wanting to wait after they realize the extended shipping time are no longer able to cancel their orders because the items go into "ready to ship" status almost immediately, but still don't actually ship for a week or more.

https://www.reddit.com/r/amazonprime/comments/xcw4c3/been_trying_to_cancel_order_since_the_7th_they/

Something really seems to be going on with Amazon right now.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2022, 08:54:53 AM »
I just ordered an end table and some coffee filters.  They are scheduled to be delivered on Thursday, and I could have had the table tomorrow, but gave them a break and left it as one shipment.  I don't need the table that fast.

So far, anecdotally, it seems like the delays are mid-west or west coast.  Are east coast folks seeing delays?

Or maybe it's just Desantis's policies keeping trucks moving in FL.  >:D

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2022, 09:10:12 AM »
I just ordered an end table and some coffee filters.  They are scheduled to be delivered on Thursday, and I could have had the table tomorrow, but gave them a break and left it as one shipment.  I don't need the table that fast.

So far, anecdotally, it seems like the delays are mid-west or west coast.  Are east coast folks seeing delays?

Or maybe it's just Desantis's policies keeping trucks moving in FL.  >:D

Seeing delays here in NC with nearly every shipment.  However, it seems to be the USPS delaying things here locally.  They are short staffed and being overwhelmed with Amazon shipments according to the mail carrier I talked to.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #53 on: September 13, 2022, 03:49:46 PM »
Amazon has been advertising on the radio for warehouse positions.  They go on about how you can work full or part time, good pay & working conditions.

I'll give them the first, but as far as pay & working conditions - nope.  Haven't had personal experience, but one of my nephews worked at one of their warehouses for a few months, he didn't have anything good to say about it.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2022, 09:51:46 AM »
So this morning (Thursday) I was randomly putting items in my cart to see what the delivery window would be. Most everything serviced by Amazon is available Monday, which given the weekend and no more Amazon vans for weekend delivery, is nearly two day service. I saw that "Amazon Day" is no longer available as an option. In fact no options at all. They are providing the one date and that is it. If they are in fact having shipping issues, it's interesting that "no rush delivery" is no longer an option. Of course it has all been "no rush" lately.  =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2022, 10:41:56 AM »
So this morning (Thursday) I was randomly putting items in my cart to see what the delivery window would be. Most everything serviced by Amazon is available Monday, which given the weekend and no more Amazon vans for weekend delivery, is nearly two day service. I saw that "Amazon Day" is no longer available as an option. In fact no options at all. They are providing the one date and that is it. If they are in fact having shipping issues, it's interesting that "no rush delivery" is no longer an option. Of course it has all been "no rush" lately.  =D

I'm still waiting for a delivery that was supposed to get here Saturday.  (I have to wait until tomorrow to file a claim)  The tracking looks like they generated a USPS tracking number over a week ago but then never shipped it.  I chatted with someone at Amazon yesterday and they told me it was scheduled to be delivered that day at 7:00 PM.  I told them I hoped they were right but was skeptical since the package hasn't left New Jersey yet.
"It's good, though..."

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2022, 07:29:27 PM »
I've placed 4 orders in the last 3 days.  One arrived the same day, one the day after ordering (it was next day shipping), one arrived in 2 days (a day late, via USPS) and the 4th is still to be shipped (as expected, it isn't due for at least a week).

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2022, 07:59:56 AM »
It looks like Amazon vans are off the table for my AO for the foreseeable future. Yesterday, I had a delivery of two packages with USPS as the carrier. My mail generally shows up between 0900-1000 like clockwork. In my mailbox was my mail and the small package. No sign of the larger package, so I figured maybe the tracking was off and it was stuck at the main USPS facility or something. Nope. Mid-afternoon, a dirty little Prius with Oregon plates shows up with the bigger package.

So it looks like either Amazon or USPS are doing private contractors for last mile delivery. While they were doing that in CA before I moved, I have never seen that here. I'm not real crazy about it, because in CA, a lot of those "last mile" people were just not the sharpest knives in the drawer, and kind of unreliable.

The fact that an Oregon vehicle delivered my package likely means they are ranging far and wide to find last mile drivers. In fairness, areas like mine are pretty big, sparsely populated delivery areas. With miles driven and the likely crap pay the contractors get, a lot of people are gonna say "no thanks" to that job.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #58 on: October 06, 2022, 08:41:36 AM »
So suddenly this week I'm back to all kinds of next day options, as well as Amazon Day being available with now $2 credits for choosing it. Still no return of the Amazon vans though - everything is still USPS and UPS.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #59 on: January 05, 2024, 08:54:31 AM »
Thread necro.

Suddenly I'm back to UPS delivering stuff instead of USPS (Amazon trucks have long left the area) and a minimum of five day delivery times. I'm curious if it's some contract thing since it started the first of the year. I was still getting USPS and next day or two day through Christmas.

My Prime renewal is next month. I have to think about that. Between now having to pay extra for no commercials on Prime Video, and if it's back to longer "prime" delivery times, it might be worth canceling.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #60 on: January 05, 2024, 08:56:43 AM »
I've been debating on canceling prime.
Been finding stuff cheaper on Walmart.com. Free shipping on orders of $35 or more and they offer a Prime shipping like plan.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #61 on: January 05, 2024, 09:43:16 AM »
I've been debating on canceling prime.
Been finding stuff cheaper on Walmart.com. Free shipping on orders of $35 or more and they offer a Prime shipping like plan.
I've bought my preferred protein shake mix from Walmart.com a couple of times now - first time it was delivered in less than 24 hours, the second time it took 48 hours. Didn't pay for any extra shipping either time.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #62 on: January 05, 2024, 12:28:08 PM »
The last Prime order I made took over a week; part of it got here a few days ago and part is arriving by UPS today.  They sat on the order for several days and mailed half of it, then a few days later shipped the rest next-day service.
"It's good, though..."