Author Topic: What would start the next civil war?  (Read 5709 times)

HankB

• friend
Re: What would start the next civil war?
« Reply #75 on: September 19, 2022, 07:12:08 PM »
And how far will WE be pushed before WE start pushing back?  How soon will people that are being victimized feel they have had enough and won't waste time calling the cops and resolve the situation on their own?

During COVID, a government official in New York State issued orders that killed about 10,000 elderly residents of nursing homes. Many of these people had adult children, maybe adult grandchildren, who watched as their parents/grandparents died.

Not one of these people was outraged enough to do something about the perp who killed their grandma or grandpa. Not one. If killing family isn't enough of a push, what is?

I truly wonder if we have the capacity for a civil war or new American revolution.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #76 on: September 19, 2022, 07:18:26 PM »
Well remember what finally triggered the last one, an election that the Ds opposed the outcome of.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Pb

• friend
« Reply #77 on: September 19, 2022, 08:22:49 PM »
Too many people from every part of the country depend on a check from the feds (employees, SS, Medicare, disability, welfare, etc).  I do not believe there could be a civil war until these checks stop coming, or become worthless through hyperinflation.

People aren't going to support a fight against their gravy train, and these people are everywhere.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #78 on: September 19, 2022, 08:27:55 PM »
Too many people from every part of the country depend on a check from the feds (employees, SS, Medicare, disability, welfare, etc).  I do not believe there could be a civil war until these checks stop coming, or become worthless through hyperinflation.

People aren't going to support a fight against their gravy train, and these people are everywhere.

I was thinking more the other way around as in the D's firing the first shots.

1860: The Rs are going to take your slaves away
2022/24: The Rs are going to take your checks away.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #79 on: September 19, 2022, 08:40:58 PM »

DW receives two such checks, I receive one at this time.  It'll be two checks after the first of the year.

We've discussed a second civil war.  We'd both support it however possible. 

I doubt we're the only ones that would.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #80 on: September 19, 2022, 09:59:10 PM »
No civil war, probably more like anarchy and lawlessness at scales hard for us to imagine.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #81 on: September 19, 2022, 10:12:02 PM »
Well remember what finally triggered the last one, an election that the Ds opposed the outcome of.

Well, it's not like they'll ever let that happen again anyway so...
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #82 on: September 20, 2022, 12:49:47 AM »
No civil war, probably more like anarchy and lawlessness at scales hard for us to imagine.

Most likely this.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #83 on: September 20, 2022, 08:07:10 AM »

Not that hard to imagine.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #84 on: September 20, 2022, 09:14:37 AM »
I think that gets into what it would take to start one.  Even as bad some things were in COVID or as bad as crime is in some areas, it still doesn't directly affect the vast majority of people.  You mention thousands of people who died in elder homes, but there are millions in NYC.  Also, that news came out later and the mayor who did it is out of office. 

Part of that is people still think they vote for their leaders and have some small control over the Govt.  I don't know what it will take to change that perception.  I feel like leftist Democrats are trying to find out.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #85 on: September 21, 2022, 07:39:25 AM »
What I'm figuring is that some outfit is going to set off some "peaceful protests" and the people in that area will finally go full Roof Korean...

And that will get spun into non-peaceful protests... Couple that with a breakdown in the supply chain, and things could go south pretty rapidly. And if an outside party trashes electric or water? I figure that most communications will keep running until it is good and spicy...
Blog under construction

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #86 on: September 21, 2022, 08:10:35 AM »
What I'm figuring is that some outfit is going to set off some "peaceful protests" and the people in that area will finally go full Roof Korean...

And that will get spun into non-peaceful protests... Couple that with a breakdown in the supply chain, and things could go south pretty rapidly. And if an outside party trashes electric or water? I figure that most communications will keep running until it is good and spicy...

If we do the full boogaloo that's what I think will do it.  The "approved" rioters will finally go someplace people have no patience for their antics, and mutual combat will ensue.  Then .gov agents will show up to protect the approved rioters (Portland PD, looking at you) and the unapproved side will treat the .gov agents like rioters.  Then it's on like Donkey Kong.

I still think a more general civil breakdown and local territories controlled by armed bands is more likely.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #87 on: September 21, 2022, 10:02:22 AM »
I don't think there will be a civil war anytime in the foreseeable future.  Just the USA becoming poorer, stupider, more violent and corrupt.

The FSA is too big to allow a civil war.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #88 on: September 21, 2022, 10:53:06 AM »
I still think a more general civil breakdown and local territories controlled by armed bands is more likely.

We've pretty well got that in major cities already.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #89 on: September 21, 2022, 12:06:17 PM »
We've pretty well got that in major cities already.
Not really.  Think Mogadishu, not Detroit.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #90 on: September 21, 2022, 03:39:00 PM »
Not really.  Think Mogadishu, not Detroit.

Ya gotta start somewhere.

Samuel Adams