Author Topic: Not with the Majority? EXTREMIST!  (Read 5144 times)

Pb

• friend
Re: Not with the Majority? EXTREMIST!
« Reply #50 on: September 04, 2022, 10:10:30 AM »

I keep hearing Biden got the most votes in history and Trump lost the election. My lyin' eyes keep trying to tell me something else.

What I suspect may have happened is this.  Lazy, ignorant people don't vote very much, because it is too much effort.  When they do, it is mostly for Democrats.  The covid freakout made a bunch of states ease absentee/mail-in voting.  The democrats made lots of effort to get this demographic to vote absentee.  So we had a bunch of lazy people that ordinarily don't bother to vote going for Biden.  In an election run under ordinary rules, Trump probably would have won.

I dread the day we go to internet voting.

I don't know if that is what happened, but that is my guess.

I have said before, I support only a limited franchise.  Government employees and those on getting the dole/subsidies should not be allowed to vote.  I will except those receiving money from programs they were forced to pay in to, as well as possibly combat arms of the military.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2022, 10:23:41 AM »
Once you abandon the outdated "high trust society" map of reality you are freed up to see things more accurately in the USA.

Voting has (probably always was) a controlled sham. We already live in a low trust empire of lies, a banana republic if you prefer. It's not coming, it's here, now, you're in it already. 

Admittedly, that truth doesn't give you high resolution answers to what is really going on. But adopting that view at a less detailed resolution allows you to not get jerked around and then having your expectations crushed.

It's really important to TPTB that we buy into the system. Once we opt out we start seeing all the incoherence and contradictions. Knowing we are living in an empire of lies has great explanatory powers. That doesn't actually tell us what is really going on, but it does keep us from naively accepting and  believing lies. You don't want to willingly believe lies do you? I'd rather admit I don't really know what's going on than believe demonstrable liars if those are my only two options.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2022, 01:18:12 PM »
I didn't know several of the networks refused to air the speech

CBS, NBC, ABC, and Fox all refused to run the president’s address to the nation because they deemed it was “too political” ahead of the November midterm elections. The networks instead chose to air re-runs of their shows.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/saraharnold/2022/09/04/these-networks-refused-to-air-bidens-hateful-speech-because-it-was-too-political-n2612646
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2022, 01:33:24 PM »
I didn't know several of the networks refused to air the speech

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/saraharnold/2022/09/04/these-networks-refused-to-air-bidens-hateful-speech-because-it-was-too-political-n2612646

Wow. Considering some of the networks mentioned, that is something. Perhaps it's more evidence of what I've been seeing personally in meatspace - liberal leaning people that I know starting to think that this has gone too far.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #55 on: September 04, 2022, 04:35:49 PM »
Wow. Considering some of the networks mentioned, that is something. Perhaps it's more evidence of what I've been seeing personally in meatspace - liberal leaning people that I know starting to think that this has gone too far.

Or they figured it would just make Democrats look worse.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #56 on: September 04, 2022, 05:48:08 PM »
They did that to Trump previously hadn't they? Red meat is only for the partisans maybe.

Leave the normies to their daydream, don't disturb their inattention. The networks can tell them what to believe about the speech and the base still get's their two minutes of hate.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: September 04, 2022, 11:09:46 PM »
I've been pondering on this today.

It occurs to me that the intended audience of this speech is not democrats or maga trump supporters - it is mainstream republicans.  Basically what we'd call a fud - older folks that have conservative leanings, but are ultimately straight ticket party folks.  The speech tries to connect to them on their ideals. The speech then tries to vilify the maga folks to this group.  The administration is trying to drive a wedge between the mainstream, low information republican voter and the newer faction of maga folks who are more active, more aware, and more pissed off.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #58 on: September 05, 2022, 12:27:22 AM »

It occurs to me that the intended audience of this speech is not democrats or maga trump supporters - it is mainstream republicans.  Basically what we'd call a fud - older folks that have conservative leanings, but are ultimately straight ticket party folks.  The speech tries to connect to them on their ideals. The speech then tries to vilify the maga folks to this group.  The administration is trying to drive a wedge between the mainstream, low information republican voter and the newer faction of maga folks who are more active, more aware, and more pissed off.

That makes sense, given that fud repubs are a fairly large segment of the overall party.  Not a majority, but enough to be worth going after.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #59 on: September 05, 2022, 12:50:01 AM »

55% of everybody will push bodies into gas chambers and ovens if told to, or not if they see others refusing.  35% will refuse.  10% will do it even if they see someone else refusing.

The 10% are trying to convince the 55% that it's okay for them all to murder the 35%.  Good thing such a thing has never been successful previously...

Except in:

Burma.
Ukraine.
Cambodia.
Sierra Leone.
Algeria.
Bosnia.
Uganda.
Chechnya.
Nigeria.
Guatemala.
Ethiopia.
China.
Congo.
Sri Lanka.
Russia.
Azerbaijan.
And on, and on, and on...

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #60 on: September 05, 2022, 11:41:49 AM »
several of the networks refused to air the speech
Good, they made the right choice on this one.

That makes sense, given that fud repubs are a fairly large segment of the overall party.  Not a majority, but enough to be worth going after.
Biden thinks (or at least says) that there are plenty of non-MAGA Republicans.
Quote from: Uncle Joe
Not every Republican, not even the majority of Republicans, are MAGA Republicans.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #61 on: September 05, 2022, 12:44:28 PM »
Biden thinks (or at least says) that there are plenty of non-MAGA Republicans.

I think "MAGA Republicans" is a very hard term to nail down (not aimed at you, Dittohead, just my thoughts in general).

I don't think I was a "MAGA Republican" when Trump was in office. I reluctantly voted for him in 2016, and somewhat enthusiastically voted for him in 2020. I complained plenty about some of his decisions, so was not in the "Orange Man can do no wrong" camp. I never got into any of the MAGA hats, shirts, or other worshippy stuff while he was in office. I kinda thought that stuff was a little stupid.*

The first time I got anything MAGA related was when Biden et. al., started doing "Ultra MAGA". I bought the T-shirt the next day. It wasn't about Trump, but rather that I felt targeted simply because my Venn diagram and Trump's intersected in a few areas. It was an FU to people trying to make me into an extremist.

IMO, "MAGA Republican" today is a much larger and diverse camp than it was during Trump's presidency.

*ETA: JMO, but I've never been a fan of wearing shirts or hats for any candidate, not just Trump. Also yard signs, bumper stickers, etc. It's just not me. Not saying others shouldn't, just that I don't. I look at the "ultra MAGA" kind of how I look at Molon Labe.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2022, 02:38:10 PM by Ben »

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #62 on: September 05, 2022, 09:16:17 PM »
"MAGA Republicans" are definitely not just people who buy the merchandise. MAGA Republicans are whoever the Left decides to target.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #63 on: September 05, 2022, 09:21:21 PM »
"MAGA Republicans" are definitely not just people who buy the merchandise. MAGA Republicans are whoever the Left decides to target.

MAGA Republicans, formally just simply called Americans.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #64 on: September 05, 2022, 11:15:39 PM »
55% of everybody will push bodies into gas chambers and ovens if told to, or not if they see others refusing.  35% will refuse.  10% will do it even if they see someone else refusing.

The 10% are trying to convince the 55% that it's okay for them all to murder the 35%.  Good thing such a thing has never been successful previously...

Except in:

Burma.
Ukraine.
Cambodia.
Sierra Leone.
Algeria.
Bosnia.
Uganda.
Chechnya.
Nigeria.
Guatemala.
Ethiopia.
China.
Congo.
Sri Lanka.
Russia.
Azerbaijan.
And on, and on, and on...

Over here in my corner it isnt going to happen and I don't care if the guy that builds the gas chambers is right, left, or baby xenu. I gotta use this ammo sometime.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #65 on: September 05, 2022, 11:36:42 PM »

That too.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #66 on: September 06, 2022, 08:10:50 AM »

Trying not to Gondwin the thread, but we are practically the new Jews. I saw on Reddit that people are blaming "the MAGA nuts" for the bad reviews of Amazon's Rings of Power. So I guess in some ways, Brandon's propaganda machine is having the desired effect. Though in the end, it may not be what they desire.

DittoHead

• friend
« Reply #67 on: September 06, 2022, 12:34:20 PM »
*ETA: JMO, but I've never been a fan of wearing shirts or hats for any candidate, not just Trump. Also yard signs, bumper stickers, etc. It's just not me. Not saying others shouldn't, just that I don't.

It was weird when the Obama fans did it (and everyone here could see that), it's weird when the Trump fans do it - and they've taken it to a much higher level.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #68 on: September 06, 2022, 01:25:07 PM »
...and they've taken it to a much higher level.

Can you provide examples?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #69 on: September 06, 2022, 01:34:02 PM »
Trying not to Gondwin the thread, but we are practically the new Jews. I saw on Reddit that people are blaming "the MAGA nuts" for the bad reviews of Amazon's Rings of Power. So I guess in some ways, Brandon's propaganda machine is having the desired effect. Though in the end, it may not be what they desire.
I have seen odd people bring politics into reviews of other stuff periodically before any of this.  I don't think online people like that give useful incite into the minds of most Americans.

IMO:
Obama fans were just as nuts before he took office.  The difference is that Obama's biggest supporters had high hopes and he disappointed some of his base especially after he made the racial divide worse and continued the overseas wars and drone strikes.  Trump did better as President than a lot of people were expecting so he maintained a lot of his core support.  Plus, a portion of his core support are/were Republican voters who were disenchanted with the party and don't really have a lot of other choices.

One thought:  If the media and Democrats had not gone to such an extent to attack and bad mouth Trump, would his abrasive behavior have turned off more of his core support?  By attacking him in so many different ways, I think they just solidified his support (at least among his base).
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #70 on: September 06, 2022, 02:57:22 PM »
One thought:  If the media and Democrats had not gone to such an extent to attack and bad mouth Trump, would his abrasive behavior have turned off more of his core support?  By attacking him in so many different ways, I think they just solidified his support (at least among his base).

Absolutely. I'm an example of that. There were many of Trump's junior high antics that I didn't like, but the over the top attacks on him for them (and everything good he did as well) just had me supporting some of his stuff I didn't like out of spite against cancel and 1984 culture.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #71 on: September 06, 2022, 03:31:10 PM »
You want to talk about "violence"???
Who shot up the Congressional ball game a few years ago?
Who rioted and burned cities like Seattle, Portland, etc.??
Who took over (and trashed) certain cities with their "occupation"?
Who is the member of Congress who called for people to be harassed and attacked in restaurants, theaters, etc., whenever possible??  (Maxine Waters among others.)

We need to keep throwing their own rhetoric back in their faces and show the world what kinds of liars and hypocrites they truly are.
  [popcorn]  >:D
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

DittoHead

• friend
« Reply #72 on: September 06, 2022, 05:30:48 PM »

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #73 on: September 06, 2022, 06:12:55 PM »
1860 all over again

Kathy Griffin
@kathygriffin
·
Follow
If you don’t want a Civil War, vote for Democrats in November. If you do want Civil War, vote Republican.
1:21 PM · Sep 6, 2022
https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2022/09/06/you-guys-maga-blue-checks-are-suggesting-kathy-griffin-threatened-to-start-a-civil-war/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #74 on: September 06, 2022, 06:20:56 PM »

Wonder how many lootings, window smashings, road blockings, car torchings, and beatings that person has done? You know how people who fly Canadian flags are.  :P
- Calvin and Hobbes