Author Topic: Argentinian VP survives assassination attempt  (Read 772 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Argentinian VP survives assassination attempt
« on: September 04, 2022, 05:55:17 PM »
Watched the videos and not sure if the gun misfired or he forgot to chamber a round.
Could even be a single action and he forgot to cock the hammer. Can't tell for sure.
Some reports say a 5 shot revolver but it's clearly a semi auto.

Note: They say it jammed in the BBC article but it appears to be a failure to fire for whatever reason.
BBC article has video

Cristina Fernández de Kirchner: Gun jams during bid to kill Argentina vice-president
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-62762421

Argentinian Vice-President Kirchner Survives Assassination Attempt When A Cartridge Fails to Fire
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/argentinian-vice-president-kirchner-survives-assassination-attempt-when-a-cartridge-fails-to-fire/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Re: Argentinian VP survives assassination attempt
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2022, 05:59:58 PM »
Condition 3 carry brainfart, doh!
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2022, 06:05:56 PM »
I almost want to say Bersa Firestorm

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2022, 07:17:21 PM »
A police spokesman told CNN that Sabag Montiel had a gun permit but was arrested in 2021 for carrying a large knife in public, adding that he has at least one tattoo of Nazi symbols.
No bullets were fired and the vice president was unharmed, although the Argentine Ministry of Security later confirmed that the .380 firearm used in the incident had bullets inside.

“Cristina is still alive because – for some reason we cannot technically confirm at this time – the weapon, which was armed with five bullets, did not fire even though the trigger was pulled,” Argentine President Alberto Fernández said in a televised mailing address late Thursday.
https://aumag.net/suspect-in-argentine-vp-assassination-attempt-arrested-in-2021-for-carrying-weapons/
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2022, 09:18:28 PM »
Well I couldn't tell from the blurry video if the hammer was back or not but there's an audible click so either a misfire or empty chamber.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2022, 12:03:22 AM »
I almost want to say Bersa Firestorm

Agree.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

griz

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2022, 06:38:30 AM »
"Jammed" is just a catch all term the media uses because they don't know what they're talking about.  It's the same sort of thing as when they said Alec Baldwin's gun "misfired". 
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2022, 08:20:51 AM »
Police named the suspect as Fernando Andrés Sabag Montiel, Brazilian-born but with an Argentine mother, who has lived in Argentina since he came to the country as a child in 1993. He had previously been arrested in 2021 while carrying a 35cm knife.

Almost 14" in American units
Now that's a knife
- Calvin and Hobbes

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2022, 10:47:26 AM »
Almost 14" in American units
Now that's a knife

Does that include the handle?

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2022, 11:03:19 AM »
Does that include the handle?

Article didn't say
- Calvin and Hobbes

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2022, 11:19:40 AM »
I have a butchering knife with a 10” blade, so maybe 14-15” overall.  It’s pretty unwieldy except for when I need to reach a long way across a carcass.  If the blade is 14” it’s going to closer to a machete than a knife.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2022, 10:56:51 AM »
3 people arrested so far
Says video found of the would be assassin practicing with the Bersa so one would think he knew how to use it.
Also it may have not been the first time he tried.

Third person arrested in Argentina over attempt to assassinate vice-president
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/sep/13/argentina-vice-president-assassination-attempt-third-arrest
- Calvin and Hobbes