Author Topic: Sour cream and onion dip  (Read 1909 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
Sour cream and onion dip
« on: August 31, 2022, 01:37:19 PM »
Simple and cheap onion dip:

1 pint sour cream or "light" sour cream
1 small (4g) beef bouillon cube
3/4 tsp dehydrated minced onion
3/4 tsp dried parsley (optional)
couple of twists of fresh-ground black pepper (also optional)

Crush the bouillon cube.  Add it and the remaining ingredients to the carton of sour cream (there's room for it) and stir it in.  Refrigerate for a half hour and stir it again.  If it's too thick, which it often is with full-fat sour cream, mix in a tablespoon of milk.

This is so much better than the famous Lipton onion soup dip, and it's super cheap.  Here's the weird part: I just tried it for the first time using the reduced-fat sour cream and it's actually better.  Don't think I will try fat-free sour cream, that just sounds nasty.

"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Sour cream and onion dip
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2022, 02:13:42 PM »
I always ended up with chunks of bullion cube that wouldn't dissolve.

So, I started using powdered bullion.

By far the best is Knorr's.

I use a fair amount of the their chicken bullion which, if you get it at Walmart, is amazingly cheap.

But, I have to admit, I've taken quite a shine to Alton Brown's recipe, which uses no beef bullion at all.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/onion-dip-from-scratch-recipe-1940409
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2022, 08:16:44 PM »
If you had Anderson-Erickson (Iowa) or Prairie Farms (Western IL, NE MO, and SE IA) french onion dip, you wouldn't have to make any.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2022, 10:51:42 PM »
If you had Anderson-Erickson (Iowa) or Prairie Farms (Western IL, NE MO, and SE IA) french onion dip, you wouldn't have to make any.

Aldi's onion dip (I think they call the brand "Friendly Farms" is pretty good.  It's much better than most store-bought dip.  I like mine better because it's not quite as salty -- I like salt, but the chips are salty already.
"It's good, though..."