Author Topic: Long Live The Queen  (Read 9693 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Long Live The Queen
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2022, 07:02:17 PM »
Charles has officially decided to go with King Charles III

Good. The sequel was pretty disappointing, compared to the drama of the first Charles. Hopefully, with the third installment, they'll go back to what really worked in the original.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2022, 07:05:58 PM »
I wonder how long before he abdicates
"It's good, though..."

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2022, 07:09:34 PM »
She volunteered to serve during WWII, when she could have stayed in the palace.  No one would have thought less of her for staying home, but they sure thought more of her for putting on a uniform.

The day after the 9/11 attacks, she ordered the band to play the Star Spangled Banner during the changing of the guard at the palace.

When the Olympis came to London, she agreed to the fun video with Daniel Craig.

Rest well, Your Highness.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2022, 07:14:17 PM »
To bad his friends Savile and Epstein aren't around to comfort him in his loss and congratulate him on ascending to the throne.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2022, 07:23:02 PM »
WHO does the USA have to attend the royal funeral?

Given the "special relationship" between our countries and the late queen's support for the USA, we're obligated to send someone important.

POTUS? The guy with rapidly diminishing capacity who stumbles while reading a teleprompter even when he's been medicated up to the eyebrows?

VPOTUS? The lazy, utter incompetent who bursts into a cackling laugh at inappropriate moments, whose only purpose is to keep POTUS from being impeached or removed via the 25th Amendment?

The Speaker? The Secretary of State? Some other minor politician or lackey? Seriously?

Who do we send that WON'T be an insult to our best ally, and won't embarrass us with some idiotic faux-pas? I can only think of a certain former POTUS, but orange man bad, so that won't be happening.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2022, 07:40:39 PM »
"To bad his friends Savile and Epstein "

Epstein was buds with Prince Andrew, not Charles.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2022, 07:47:27 PM »

Given the "special relationship" between our countries and the late queen's support for the USA, we're obligated to send someone important.

If I recall my protocol correctly, this would be a head of state funeral.  POTUS is the proper representative, or VPOTUS with an excuse a d apologies for the absence of POTUS.  Whether he would be asked to speak or not likely depends on the wishes of the family, or the Quuen if she had input on the London Bridge is Down plan.

Like it or not, he is still the face of the US at this time.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2022, 07:49:30 PM »
Place your bets
How many times he looks at his watch
Falls asleep.
He goes into a anti-MAGA rant
He forgets who the funeral is for
Poops his pants
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2022, 07:52:01 PM »

For all their faults, Obama and W are the obvious answers, though Trump should also attend. I would think Biden would go. Assuming he does, we're going to need Barack and Mrs. Biden to keep the old man firmly in hand to avoid further embarrassment. (That he represents us is embarrassment enough.)

Sending our special needs VP seems like a straight--up insult.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2022, 07:53:46 PM »
Whether he would be asked to speak or not likely depends on the wishes of the family, or the Queen if she had input on the London Bridge is Down plan.

Oh, please, please spare us. Groan.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2022, 07:56:13 PM »
I was going to say Obama would probably be the best choice. Just say Biden is too ill which is really not lying.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2022, 08:07:05 PM »
My wife and I were discussing this: The President would be invited as the head of state, but we were wondering, which, if any, living ex-Presidents would be invited. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2022, 08:26:11 PM »
Drachinifel
Drachinifel
6 hours ago
After 70 years, the vessels of the Royal Navy sail once more as His Majesty's Ships...
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2022, 08:30:40 PM »
[quote ]
...His Majesty's Ships
[/quote]

Is that important?

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2022, 08:31:28 PM »
Is that important?

Drach's way of noting the passing of an era
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2022, 08:48:09 PM »
Stacey Abrams Announces That With A Heavy Heart She Will Succeed Elizabeth II As Queen
https://babylonbee.com/news/stacey-abrams-announces-that-with-a-heavy-heart-she-will-succeed-elizabeth-ii-as-queen
- Calvin and Hobbes

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2022, 09:29:46 PM »
My wife and I were discussing this: The President would be invited as the head of state, but we were wondering, which, if any, living ex-Presidents would be invited.

Biden pretty much has to go.  I would expect all the living ex-presidents to be invited but don't know.  Maybe some of them don't get along with the royals.
"It's good, though..."

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2022, 09:40:36 PM »
A well earned rest for that one.  We are diminished.

Ave Atque Vale
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2022, 09:53:07 PM »
"To bad his friends Savile and Epstein "

Epstein was buds with Prince Andrew, not Charles.
Getting which royals were friends with which pedophiles all confused  :P   

Like Carlin said, it's a big club and you ain't in it.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2022, 10:21:27 PM »
I actually have a fair amount of respect for Harry and Meghan.

They tried to fit into the Royal family but it's pretty apparent that she was not being welcomed at all.

For them to walk away from the Royal family as they did took a LOT of balls.
I don’t follow the royal stuff, but out of curiosity where do you get the bold bit?  What little I’ve seen from her has been … not flattering.  I’ve known narcissistic girls who remind me of her and every one has fully earned the dislike of the families they marry in to.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2022, 07:10:12 AM by cordex »

HankB

• friend
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2022, 07:04:10 AM »
Stacey Abrams Announces That With A Heavy Heart She Will Succeed Elizabeth II As Queen
https://babylonbee.com/news/stacey-abrams-announces-that-with-a-heavy-heart-she-will-succeed-elizabeth-ii-as-queen
If she leaves to assume the queenship, who will then become governor of Georgia?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2022, 07:11:30 AM »
Going to be impossible to say King Charles without adding spaniel after it...

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2022, 07:18:07 AM »

For more than 20 years people were asking... When is the Queen going to abdicate in favor of Charles, especially in the years right after Diana's death.

Then for the last few years every once in awhile it would be When is the Queen going to abdicate to William and skip Charles? As if that would be something that she could do on a whim...

There is a better chance of Charles losing his head through a parliamentary uprising than there is of him abdicating.*

Barring any really nasty debilitating or terminal disease, and even then you'd probably see something like you saw in the 1800s with William becoming Prince Regent and Charles remaining King.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2022, 07:28:42 AM »
If I recall my protocol correctly, this would be a head of state funeral.  POTUS is the proper representative, or VPOTUS with an excuse a d apologies for the absence of POTUS.  Whether he would be asked to speak or not likely depends on the wishes of the family, or the Quuen if she had input on the London Bridge is Down plan.

Like it or not, he is still the face of the US at this time.

That sounds about right. When Kennedy was assassinated Prince Philip led the UK delegation, which included the Prime Minister and the leaders of both of Britain's major political parties.

When Churchill died in 1965 Lyndon Johnson was ill and couldn't travel so Chief Justice Earl Warren led the US delegation.

The last time a British monarch died, King George VI in 1952, Harry Truman was president and didn't attend. He sent Secretary of State Dean Acheson.

When Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother, died in 2002 Laura Bush led the US delegation.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2022, 07:38:23 AM »
I don’t follow the royal stuff, but out of curiosity where do you get the bold bit?  What little I’ve seen from her has been … not flattering.  I’ve known narcissistic girls who remind me of her and every one has fully earned the dislike of the families they marry in to.

I'm not saying that she's perfect. Yes, she can be... dramatic.

But you honestly didn't hear any of the credible reports about the racial comments that were made about her? From inside of the Royal family, not to mention in the press?

Allegedly it was comments by a senior member of the Royal family that finally made them decide to step away.