Author Topic: Long Live The Queen  (Read 9692 times)

dogmush

• friend
Re: Long Live The Queen
« Reply #150 on: September 20, 2022, 08:18:16 AM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salute#:~:text=Since%201917%2C%20the%20British%20Army's,touching%20the%20cap%20or%20beret.

Quote from: wikipedia
he Naval salute differs in that the palm of the hand faces down towards the shoulder. This dates back to the days of sailing ships, when tar and pitch were used to seal a ship's timbers from seawater. To protect their hands, officers wore white gloves and it was considered most undignified to present a dirty palm in the salute, so the hand was turned through 90 degrees. A common story is that Queen Victoria, having been saluted by an individual with a dirty palm, decreed that in future sailors of the fleet would salute palm down, with the palm facing the ground.

That's the most British thing ever.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #151 on: September 20, 2022, 08:40:33 AM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #152 on: September 20, 2022, 09:14:07 AM »
They stuck Biden 14 rows back.
Try to tell me it doesn't look like he's nodding off in the photo and that the woman behind and to his left hasn't noticed.

Photo ~half way down  https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-62890879

I think he was looking at his watch and wondering when he could leave and go get his favorite ice cream.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #153 on: September 20, 2022, 09:20:17 AM »
Sounds like the FJB was not real, but the being late was.

To tangentially rant, a pet peeve of mine is that not just Brandon, but almost EVERY past president seems to think that as "the leader of the free world", they can waltz in anywhere on their own schedule and have people disrupt their lives for them - even if it's another world leader.

To me, one of the signs of a good leader is not treating others like dirt. That means that, barring national security issues, you *expletive deleted*ing show up places on time.

Good on the UK for making him wait.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #154 on: September 20, 2022, 09:28:29 AM »

To tangentially rant, a pet peeve of mine is that not just Brandon, but almost EVERY past president seems to think that as "the leader of the free world", they can waltz in anywhere on their own schedule and have people disrupt their lives for them - even if it's another world leader.

To me, one of the signs of a good leader is not treating others like dirt. That means that, barring national security issues, you *expletive deleted*ing show up places on time.

How dare the Brits schedule this during nappy time
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #155 on: September 20, 2022, 09:32:28 AM »

You can very clearly hear the FJB chant in the video.  However, there is no way to tell if the poster mixed in the FJB chant into the video soundtrack, or if the audio track is original.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #156 on: September 20, 2022, 09:34:21 AM »
Why I put "if real" This stuff can be faked so easily nowadays.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #157 on: September 20, 2022, 09:37:21 AM »
You can very clearly hear the FJB chant in the video.  However, there is no way to tell if the poster mixed in the FJB chant into the video soundtrack, or if the audio track is original.

I was just going by the Townhall link:

UPDATE: Okay, I might have been a little trigger-happy. The “FJB” chant might not have happened, but Mr. Biden was still late to the funeral. The post has been updated.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #158 on: September 20, 2022, 09:39:07 AM »
Yeah, I wondered about the point of that update about the FJB chant.  He left out some context.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #159 on: September 20, 2022, 09:42:34 AM »

Ailing elderly people with both physical and cognitive impairments sometimes are unable to keep to a schedule.

Why I put "if real" This stuff can be faked so easily nowadays.
You can't believe everything bad you hear about a person just because you detest them - the FJB chant could have easily been spliced into an internet video. It's all the more dubious since I suspect even the Brits know how the chat evolved to LGB. (As far as negative about bad people go - I saw a column about HRC claiming she was involved in kidnapping children to be used as human sacrifices in satanic rituals involving cannibalism. As much as I detest her, I don't buy assertions of child kidnapping, child murder, and cannibalism.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #160 on: September 20, 2022, 09:46:40 AM »

You can't believe everything bad you hear about a person just because you detest them - the FJB chant could have easily been spliced into an internet video. It's all the more dubious since I suspect even the Brits know how the chat evolved to LGB.

Thought with "if real" had that covered
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #161 on: September 20, 2022, 09:51:27 AM »
Could have been worst. Could have been Harris with her signature at the wrong moment crackle
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #162 on: September 20, 2022, 10:02:29 AM »

I think, however, once Charles is crowned you're going to see one HELL of a reckoning inside the royal family, especially with Andrew and very possibly his daughters. Charles has always hated Andrew (Andrew was the Queen's favorite) and I think he's going to take his vengeance and it's going to be ugly as hell.

May have started to some degree if true.
But to be fair they were already "no longer working members of the royal family"

King Charles III plans to cut Harry, Andrew as official stand-ins
https://pagesix.com/2022/09/18/king-charles-iii-plans-to-cut-prince-harry-andrew-as-official-stand-ins/
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #163 on: September 20, 2022, 10:18:52 AM »
What did Beatrice do?  Is it just because she's to close to her father?

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #164 on: September 20, 2022, 10:58:18 AM »
What did Beatrice do?  Is it just because she's to close to her father?

Could be nothing more than a procedural thing since with the death of E-II everything has shifted down.
Or he's using Andrew's eldest daughter to further punish his least favorite person in the world knowing this will hurt Andrew further.
Or a mix of both.

Either way I think this is going to be the least of the changes he may do.
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #165 on: September 20, 2022, 11:37:24 AM »
Could be nothing more than a procedural thing since with the death of E-II everything has shifted down.
Or he's using Andrew's eldest daughter to further punish his least favorite person in the world knowing this will hurt Andrew further.
Or a mix of both.

Either way I think this is going to be the least of the changes he may do.
This is the 21st Century, not the 13th.

Members of the Royal Family who are kicked in the behind by their Sovereign have the means of kicking back - by writing a "tell all" book if nothing else. Or maybe a movie screenplay. Even if banned in Britain, the Continent is just a short Chunnel ride away, and there are plenty of folks there who'd delight in publishing a book or making a movie about the House of Windsor.

Might be fun to watch, speaking as a citizen of a nation that settled its relationship with the English crown - definitively - by 1814.  [popcorn]
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #166 on: September 20, 2022, 11:37:39 AM »
May have started to some degree if true.
But to be fair they were already "no longer working members of the royal family"

King Charles III plans to cut Harry, Andrew as official stand-ins
https://pagesix.com/2022/09/18/king-charles-iii-plans-to-cut-prince-harry-andrew-as-official-stand-ins/

This is sheer nonsense. Andrew and Harry are already completely out of the loop as "stand-ins" (i.e. working royals). The late queen herself stripped Andrew of his honorary military ranks and titles and banished him from any and all royal duties. Andrew, like Harry, wore a morning suit to the funeral, not a military uniform. I don't see that there's much more Charles can cut Andrew off from. As for Andrew's daughters -- I can't recall ever seeing them performing any royal duties.

I think the real question is what role Edward and Sophie will play under Charles. I know Sophie has, at least on occasion, been a "working royal," so I assume that Edward has been, as well.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #167 on: September 20, 2022, 11:56:40 AM »
This is sheer nonsense. Andrew and Harry are already completely out of the loop as "stand-ins" (i.e. working royals). The late queen herself stripped Andrew of his honorary military ranks and titles and banished him from any and all royal duties. Andrew, like Harry, wore a morning suit to the funeral, not a military uniform. I don't see that there's much more Charles can cut Andrew off from. As for Andrew's daughters -- I can't recall ever seeing them performing any royal duties.

You're probably only aware of a tiny fraction of the royal duties they perform being a representative of the monarchy when opening libraries, monuments, bridges, when they travel, and whatnot. 99%+ of which isn't going to make the news here.

And as I stated above could be just a procedural thing since everything has now shifted.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2022, 12:17:19 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #168 on: September 20, 2022, 12:07:42 PM »
I don't see that there's much more Charles can cut Andrew off from.

His head?

(just kidding; I know these aren't the good ol' days when His Highness could go Richard III on anyone who displeased him.)
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #169 on: September 20, 2022, 01:13:16 PM »
like Harry, wore a morning suit to the funeral, not a military uniform.

I did notice he was not wearing his uniform at the funeral but this popped up in my YT feed
They're claiming  and not sure if they're making a mountain out of a molehill here, something Sky News is known for, but they say Harry was not allowed to wear the ER insignia on his mil uniform at the vigil and Harry being humiliated considered wearing a morning suit instead.

Some in the comment are questioning it. I posted this here because I have no clue myself if this is something or not and I did find it a bit odd he wasn't wearing his uniform since I figured that would be the traditional thing to do while William did.

Prince Harry 'devastated' after key detail stripped from his military uniform
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfwbz9F5c7U

I did find this which may answer some questions on the matter.

To recap, last week it was announced that Prince Harry would not be wearing military uniform to the Queen's funeral, despite having spent a decade in the army and undertaking two tours of Afghanistan. This is because only working members of the Royal Family are permitted to do so, meaning Prince Andrew – who was stripped of his titles – would also be required to wear a mourning suit instead of military uniform.

Although Harry was later granted special permission to wear military uniform to the grandchildren's vigil to the Queen, the same can not be said for his right to military salute. To understand why, let's take a look at the meaning behind a salute.
Why didn't Prince Harry give a salute at the Queen's funeral?
https://www.cosmopolitan.com/uk/reports/a41279043/why-didnt-prince-harry-salute-queens-funeral/

So Sky News being Sky News, making Mountains out of molehills

- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #170 on: September 20, 2022, 03:46:15 PM »
I did notice he was not wearing his uniform at the funeral but this popped up in my YT feed
They're claiming  and not sure if they're making a mountain out of a molehill here, something Sky News is known for, but they say Harry was not allowed to wear the ER insignia on his mil uniform at the vigil and Harry being humiliated considered wearing a morning suit instead.

Some in the comment are questioning it. I posted this here because I have no clue myself if this is something or not and I did find it a bit odd he wasn't wearing his uniform since I figured that would be the traditional thing to do while William did.

Prince Harry 'devastated' after key detail stripped from his military uniform
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfwbz9F5c7U

I did find this which may answer some questions on the matter.
Why didn't Prince Harry give a salute at the Queen's funeral?
https://www.cosmopolitan.com/uk/reports/a41279043/why-didnt-prince-harry-salute-queens-funeral/

So Sky News being Sky News, making Mountains out of molehills

Yes, mountain out of ant hill. Those articles all ignore the fact that Andrew, who is also a genuine military veteran (he saw active duty in the Falklands War) was also not in uniform. As King, Charles is nominally the CIC of all British armed forces. Anne holds ranks as General, Admiral, and a metric tonne of Commandant titles. I'm sure Wills also holds a bunch of honorary ranks in addition to being an Air Force veteran.

In reality, it was an exception -- requested and authorized by Charles -- for Harry to have been allowed to wear his uniform when the grandchildren stood vigil around the coffin.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

grampster

• friend
« Reply #171 on: September 20, 2022, 04:01:53 PM »
Heh heh....Uncle Joe was photographed fiddling or playing with his tongue.  Must have gotten some hair on it from sniffing little Brit kids.  Also reported he may have fallen asleep during the service. :rofl:
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

HankB

• friend
« Reply #172 on: September 20, 2022, 04:44:11 PM »
. . . Anne holds ranks as General, Admiral, and a metric tonne of Commandant titles.  . . .
So she's Her Royal Highness The Princess Royal, Colonel-in-Chief of the King’s Royal Hussars, Colonel-in-Chief of the Worcestershire and Sherwood Foresters Regiment, Colonel-in-Chief of the Royal Corps of Signals, Colonel-in-Chief of the Royal Logistic Corps, Colonel-in-Chief the Royal Army Veterinary Corps, Colonel of the Blues and Royals, Royal Colonel of the Royal Scots Borderers, 1st Battalion Royal Regiment of Scotland, Royal Colonel of the 52nd Lowland, 6th Battalion Royal Regiment of Scotland, Royal Honorary Colonel of the University of London OTC, Commandant-in-Chief of the First Aid Nursing Yeomanry (Princess Royal’s Volunteer Corps), Honorary Air Commodore of RAF Brize Norton, Honorary Air Commodore of the University of London Air Squadron, Commodore-in-Chief of HMNB Portsmouth, Chief Commandant of the Women’s Royal Naval Service, Chief Commandant for Women in the Royal Navy, Admiral, General, Air Chief Marshal Arms, Royal Family Order of Queen Elizabeth II Order of St John, Dame Grand Cross of the Most Venerable Order of the Hospital of St John of Jerusalem, Dame of Justice of the Most Venerable Order of St John of Jerusalem, Grand Cross of the Royal Victorian Order (GCVO) – (Grand Master from 20 April 2007), Royal Knight of the Most Noble Order of the Garter, Extra Knight of the Most Ancient and Most Noble Order of the Thistle and additional royal honors.

Glad I'm American so I don't have to take this nonsense seriously.

But while looking this up, I thought about this guy . . . who upon reflection, seems pretty modest by comparison:

"His Excellency, President for Life, Field Marshal Al Hajj Doctor Idi Amin Dada, VC, DSO, MC, Lord of all the Beasts of the Earth and Fishes of the Sea and Conqueror of the British Empire in Africa in General and Uganda in Particular."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #173 on: September 20, 2022, 05:52:18 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #174 on: October 02, 2022, 11:07:31 AM »
Good example of why no one like Meghan

Meghan Markle became infuriated over her 2017 Vanity Fair cover, which ran with a headline that she deemed "racist," according to "Courtiers: The Hidden Power Behind the Crown," a new book by royal author Valentine Low.

Markle and Prince Harry reportedly objected to the October issue's headline "She's Just Wild About Harry!" as they pointed out that "I'm Just Wild About Harry" was the title of song that Judy Garland and Mickey Rooney performed as a blackface number in the 1939 musical "Babes In Arms"

Meghan Markle, the Joy Reid of the royals.  ;/

Meghan Markle was 'very unhappy' over her 2017 Vanity Fair cover and found the headline 'racist': report
https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/meghan-markle-very-unhappy-over-her-2017-vanity-fair-cover-found-headline-racist
- Calvin and Hobbes