Author Topic: As if we didn't have enough to worry about. Now a rail strike.  (Read 4056 times)

Pb

• friend
Re: As if we didn't have enough to worry about. Now a rail strike.
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2022, 08:58:33 AM »
Uhm... huh?

THIS is the Armed Polite Society, and yes, a Preacherman by that description used to post here in the early days.

Yes, you are right.  I meant to say the Firing Line and the High Road.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2022, 06:39:56 PM »
and the saga continues
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2022, 07:02:33 PM »
Yep looming again after being put off.

But you can't go strike, we're making it illegal.

The House has passed a resolution 209-137 that would force unions to accept a tentative agreement reached earlier this year between railroad managers and their workers and make an imminent strike illegal.
The House has voted to avert a rail strike. Now the bill heads to the Senate
https://www.npr.org/2022/11/30/1139876084/congress-house-railroad-strike-bill

Lets see how the union responds to that

But that's okay Americans don't, or didn't, know what a supply chain is anyway.

During a recent rally in Michigan, Biden suggested that the crowd, and Americans in general, had no idea what a supply chain was until it became a recent media topic related to the country’s economic troubles in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Biden slammed for claiming public didn't know 'what the hell a supply chain was': 'Insulting Americans'
https://www.foxnews.com/media/biden-slammed-claiming-public-didnt-know-what-hell-supply-chain-insulting-americans

Just like with inflation, it's some new term or something.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2022, 08:22:19 PM »

Biden slammed for claiming public didn't know 'what the hell a supply chain was': 'Insulting Americans'
https://www.foxnews.com/media/biden-slammed-claiming-public-didnt-know-what-hell-supply-chain-insulting-americans

Well, considering how gourd awful stupid the average American really is I'm gonna actually side with Biden on this one, even a blind pig finds an acorn once in a while and  even a broken analogue clock is right twice a day.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2022, 08:27:16 PM »
I actually hope that this is the timeline where railroad workers strike, and the Biden Administration jails some and forces others to work under threat of force.

Yeah, it'd *expletive deleted*ck up the supply chain, be morally reprehensible,  and probably lead to violence, but it'd be great to see the national level Dems shed their skins and show themselves. It'd be great for next year's Thanksgiving Cheat Sheet.

Biden.  He'll make the trains run on time!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2022, 08:38:33 PM »
I actually hope that this is the timeline where railroad workers strike, and the Biden Administration jails some and forces others to work under threat of force.

Yeah, it'd *expletive deleted*ck up the supply chain, be morally reprehensible,  and probably lead to violence, but it'd be great to see the national level Dems shed their skins and show themselves. It'd be great for next year's Thanksgiving Cheat Sheet.

I'm sure the MSM will find a way no matter how stupid it will sound to those who know better to blame Trump and the Rs and the sheep will go Baaaahh
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2022, 09:08:00 PM »

Will the Dems go against their butt buddies the unions like that?
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2022, 09:46:54 PM »
. . . Lets see how the union responds to that . . .
They all call in saying they tested positive for covid.

Seems like it would be a problem much worse than the PATCO strike back in the '80s, and the legality is suspect; the PATCO strikers were government employees so Reagan could fire them. Railroad workers . . . I don't know.

I suppose Biden could jail them with the Jan 6 people, but that won't get the trains running. Forcing them to work "under threat of force" probably wouldn't work very well unless the overseers were using whips . . . and then just imagine if some workers were POCs and someone got video . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2022, 10:00:06 PM »
Well, considering how gourd awful stupid the average American really is I'm gonna actually side with Biden on this one, even a blind pig finds an acorn once in a while and  even a broken analogue clock is right twice a day.

Biden is digital clock blinking
12:00
- Calvin and Hobbes

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2022, 10:22:46 PM »

My opinion of Unions is generally lower than whale *expletive deleted*it,  but I have a real problem with Congress making them slaves.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2022, 08:26:53 AM »
Got to hammer out a deal before those Rs ruin everything.

But the dangers a strike would pose to the U.S. economy and Americans’ health and safety proved too great as months of talks barreled toward a Dec. 9 deadline with no resolution in sight, White House aides said Tuesday after Biden asked Congress to impose a settlement that left many union supporters angered.

The administration also worried that Republicans, who are set to take control of the House in January, could impose an even less labor-friendly deal if the strike threat is still lingering then.

Inside Biden’s decision to halt a rail strike
Months of talks have failed to end the impasse between unions and freight railroads. And a GOP-led House looms in January.
https://www.politico.com/news/2022/11/29/bidens-congress-halt-rail-strike-00071251
- Calvin and Hobbes

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2022, 01:49:44 PM »
Well so much for organized labor.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2022, 02:20:48 PM »
Looks like he signed it. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/biden-signs-bill-rail-strike/

They didn't give the railroad workers any sick leave, which was one of their big talking points.

I'm impressed with the balls to call it a "labor agreement" when it was forced by legislative action.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2022, 02:25:46 PM »
What's the value of a union if they have no leverage?

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2022, 02:43:31 PM »
What's the value of a union if they have no leverage?
Pretty much the same as the value of a politician who once in power doesn't do the things they claimed to be for.

That is to say, it makes corrupt leaders very wealthy.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2022, 07:22:43 PM »
This bothers me.  The fed.gov legislating that workers of a private company must accept terms they don't want & the workers must continue to work under those terms.

That's wrong.  Very wrong.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2022, 07:29:19 PM »
Imagine the MSM if this occurred under Trump. Be 24/7 how how Trump is a fascist dictator etc.... With Biden, crickets.
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2022, 09:02:59 PM »
So what happens if the workers call in sick on the 9th?

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2022, 09:42:29 PM »
In this specific case they have  the law on their side, 1926 Railway act, an early use of them claiming broad powers under the interstate commerce clause. The precedent is kinda disturbing though since we must all be at our machines lest we affect interstate commerce. And if we're not at work we might grow pot, which we also have precedent of that affecting interstate commerce...
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2022, 11:53:59 PM »
I can't dismiss the notion that this is all a put-up prearranged crisis to make the administration look good.

Are you listening,?

I always had the back-of-my-mind suspicion that Preacherman was Perd Hadley's first ID before his four or five name changes.

Just a suspicion awaiting evidence, so I never said anything until it came up here. =)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 12:14:44 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2022, 01:07:54 AM »
I can't dismiss the notion that this is all a put-up prearranged crisis to make the administration look good.

Are you listening,?

I always had the back-of-my-mind suspicion that Preacherman was Perd Hadley's first ID before his four or five name changes.

Just a suspicion awaiting evidence, so I never said anything until it came up here. =)

I am very confused.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2022, 09:24:41 AM »
This bothers me.  The fed.gov legislating that workers of a private company must accept terms they don't want & the workers must continue to work under those terms.

That's wrong.  Very wrong.

The workers are now in the same exact place all of us non union workers are. Work or get fired. As a side note it is quite amusing that the left LOVES to tell me I’d be much better off in a union when this major union controlled industry gets treated worse and have the government involved telling them that striking is off the table. :rofl:
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2022, 12:50:59 PM »
The workers are now in the same exact place all of us non union workers are. Work or get fired. . . .
How fast and easy would it be to replace a whole bunch of railroad workers? I know for a while it would have been easy to get rid of firemen (whose ONLY duty was to shovel coal into the firebox . . . even on a diesel locomotive.) but engineers and others would seem to have some learned skills, and I really don't know how deep the bench of qualified replacements is.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2022, 10:39:47 PM »
Car MFRs:  Too big to allow to fail.

RR Unions: Too big to allow to fail bail.

"Doesn't this sniff a little bit like the first step to nationalize the railroads?" Terry asked, paranoidically. 

(dogmush's remark about Mussolini made me think of that.)

« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 11:15:20 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2022, 11:33:18 PM »
Nationalizing the railroads is probably the right thing to do at this point anyway.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine