Author Topic: Finally upgraded the home theater to 4K  (Read 2726 times)

T.O.M.

• friend
Re: Finally upgraded the home theater to 4K
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2021, 12:30:26 PM »
Because of this thread, I bit the bullet using Uncle Sugar's money.  Vizio 4K 55" for around $500 at Best Buy.  TV in my man cave had died, so we moved our family room 50" HD to there, put the new one in the family room.  Great picture, good price, fits on our existing stand (barely).  Only problem is that I need a longer HDMI cable to hook up the XBox One to the new TV.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2021, 01:56:14 PM »
Because of this thread, I bit the bullet using Uncle Sugar's money.  Vizio 4K 55" for around $500 at Best Buy.  TV in my man cave had died, so we moved our family room 50" HD to there, put the new one in the family room.  Great picture, good price, fits on our existing stand (barely).  Only problem is that I need a longer HDMI cable to hook up the XBox One to the new TV.
Longer cables seem to be hard to find.  However, the prices I have seen online vary quite a bit. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2021, 04:02:45 PM »
Longer cables seem to be hard to find. 

??

6, 10, and 12 footers are available by the gross on Amazon. Cheap. 2.0 spec cables in the 10-12 foot range are going for around ten bucks.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2021, 09:43:54 PM »
The new TV has the inputs on the opposite side of the old TV.  Need an 8'-10' HDMI cord instead of the 6' I was using.  Already ordered on Amazon.  Should arrive Monday.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2021, 04:54:48 PM »
Dredd 4K on sale sale for $14. Has a big "Limited Time Offer" in red splashed all over it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XXNYHRQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2021, 01:41:11 PM »
Ah, I missed that it was a table top model. Bummer. Well, it would be usable with my current TV stand, in that case.

Quick revisit because I just discovered there's now a floor stand model.

FITUEYES Universal Floor TV Stand Height Adjustable for 50-80 Inch LED LCD OLED Flat Screen Large TVs, Floor TV Stand Safe Iron Base with Swivel Mount TT108002MB Wire Management https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089R73C3K/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_W28T4G9YBK3DMS6CX1R1

Brad
-HankB

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2021, 01:57:59 PM »
Funny that this gets brought back today.  Wife and I just finished pulling old TV off the wall, pulling old sound sytem out, running HDMI 2.1 through the walls, hanging the 4k and putting in the Dolby Atmos rated sound bar last night.

The step to 4k is nice, but the added brightness and "pop" of HDR is a more satisfying.  We watched some of Amazon's Wheel of Time last night and it looked pretty good.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2021, 07:57:17 PM »
I don’t mean to brag, but my 32” Emerson is 720p.
We watch a movie every now and again, but it doesn’t see enough use to justify upgrading. Maybe after we sell the old place …

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2021, 10:35:38 PM »
I don’t mean to brag, but my 32” Emerson is 720p.
We watch a movie every now and again, but it doesn’t see enough use to justify upgrading. Maybe after we sell the old place …

You still listen to songs on 8-track, don't you?

Brad
-HankB

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2021, 11:01:50 PM »
I have a Pfunk cassette on my conversion van. Really.
Blog under construction

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2021, 05:53:37 AM »
No, I’m too young to have ever owned one. I do have a cassette player in my car but just use it with an adapter.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2021, 07:41:00 AM »
Quick revisit because I just discovered there's now a floor stand model.

FITUEYES Universal Floor TV Stand Height Adjustable for 50-80 Inch LED LCD OLED Flat Screen Large TVs, Floor TV Stand Safe Iron Base with Swivel Mount TT108002MB Wire Management https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089R73C3K/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_W28T4G9YBK3DMS6CX1R1

Brad

Well hell! That's great news! Thanks!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2021, 08:04:53 AM »
No, I’m too young to have ever owned one. I do have a cassette player in my car but just use it with an adapter.

https://youtu.be/TKYQ5ibxslI
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

cordex

• Administrator

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2021, 02:50:43 AM »
I had a Quadraphonic 8-Track player/recorder and a Quadraphonic 8-track unit in my car at one time. Also did the Sound-On-Sound/Sound-With-Sound Reel-To-Reel thing for a bit.
 :old: :old: :old:
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2021, 07:36:22 AM »
GEDOFFADALAWN, YAPUNKASSKIDS!

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2021, 08:48:00 AM »

Brad
Thinking back to the '70s . . .

My first car came from the factory with an 8-track. I also got a Wollensak 8-track recorder to make my own tapes.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2023, 02:33:48 PM »
Quick revisit to document power use in case it might be of interest.

Recently integrated an APC 1500 UPS, the no-frills model, into the system. Amazon had them on sale and I figure the embarrassing amount I have invested in HT equipment is worth a Benjamin and three quarters' of backup power protection. Also interesting to get a solid idea of power use.

Viewing means a 65" flat screen, HT receiver, and either XBox or blu-ray player. In addition, there is a small USB fan, D-Link 8 port switch, and ASUS 1900 wifi router. Based solely on the UPS panel's less-than-granular load meter, I guesstimate the system pulls 180-200w constant with total draw rarely pushing past 215-220w in general viewing. Movies with full ATMOS surround, high volume levels, and heavy LFE will have occasional momentary spikes to 275-ish, but usually settle in around 240w. Throw in a 16" pedestal fan, a 15w LED strip for ambient light, and a small dorm refrigerator for a total constant room load of maybe 300w, at most. Not bad at all, especially considering old CRT sets could easily pull that just by themselves. Plasma TVs were almost as bad.

Brad
-HankB