Author Topic: Anyone buy an online mattress?  (Read 1926 times)

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
Re: Anyone buy an online mattress?
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2022, 10:45:18 PM »
PS: The wife and our aunt loves the My Pillow
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2022, 10:48:17 PM »
Ever since we got our first memory foam mattress (about 18 years ago) I have wanted to figure out the stopping power of the mattress, is it cover or concealment? Will it act like a Newtonian fluid and get hard as it is compressed rapidly of will it barely slow the bullet down?  Or how many inches will it take to stop a bullet? So many questions.

We will be getting a new mattress soon and I will experiment with the mattress before the dump run. :)

bob
« Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 11:00:18 PM by BobR »

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2022, 10:58:33 PM »
Ever since we got our first memory foam mattress (about 18 years ago) I have wanted to figure out the stopping power of the mattress, is it cover or concealment? Will it act like a Newtonian fluid and get hard as it is compressed rapidly of will it barely slow the bullet down?

We will be getting a new mattress soon and I will experiment with the mattress before the dump run. :)

bob

If this video is to be trusted concealment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQwFmWZVVXc

If edge on has more of an effect I don't know
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2022, 07:02:35 AM »
"Makes all kinds of sense for a single guy with a chest freezer, a big pantry, and a yearning for the zombie apocalypse."

Well, I'm a single guy, I have a big upright freezer, and a substantial pantry (and a basement that has TONS of room).

As for the zombie apocalypse, I live and work in DC metro, so I live that *expletive deleted*it every day.

I've belonged to both Costco and BJs over the years and I will admit that it's nice. I've thought about joining. I worked right next to a Costco for over 3 years and always thought about joining, but never did, mainly because of the crowds.

There are some things that I'd love to get at Costco on a regular basis, most importantly the Ling Ling pot stickers. Those things are awesome.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2022, 07:04:27 AM »
We just bought 2 pillows off of Amazon that came in a ridiculously small roll but fluffed and expanded out to be fairly firm, normal sized pillows!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MX77L41

So your pillows needed a fluffer?

Did you contract out for that, or did you give it a try yourself? :rofl:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2022, 07:23:44 AM »
I think I'm going to go with the 12" Shiloh firm support mattress.

Hopefully it's firm enough (I like a firmer mattress) and hopefully it stands up to my fat ass.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2022, 08:17:20 AM »
Ha - that was a good question on cover or concealment.  =)

I was actually surprised that even a .380 penetrated. Might have to Kevlar line the sides of the mattress.  =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2022, 08:44:39 AM »
"I was actually surprised that even a .380 penetrated."

To be honest, I'm not.

Memory foam, while resilient, isn't particularly strong. It's very easy to tear it with your fingers. It has very low tensile strength. 

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2022, 11:08:57 AM »
"Makes all kinds of sense for a single guy with a chest freezer, a big pantry, and a yearning for the zombie apocalypse."

Well, I'm a single guy, I have a big upright freezer, and a substantial pantry (and a basement that has TONS of room).

Durable goods and dish/laundry soaps. Even when single I easily paid for the Sams membership cost in savings on everyday things like paper towels, toilet paper, laundry detergent, dish soap, and shelf-stable pantry items. Add in the misc other stuff through the year and it was a good deal. Good optical dept, too. Not the greatest selection of frames but they use Nikon labs for their optics and I've had excellent results with them. I figure Costco has similar offerings.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2022, 11:10:42 AM »
I did the math and the gas savings pay for my membership.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2022, 11:14:19 AM »
Dish soap is one of the things that I have my neighbors get me.

It takes me between 9 and 12 months to go through one of the jugs.

I've been using the same roll of paper towels since... March or April.

Toilet paper? Most of my... "downloading" is done at the office. A 15-pack lasts me 6 months.

It just doesn't make much sense for me given the levels of stuff that I use.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2022, 11:19:53 AM »
It takes me between 9 and 12 months to go through one of the jugs.

I've been using the same roll of paper towels since... March or April.

Toilet paper? Most of my... "downloading" is done at the office. A 15-pack lasts me 6 months.

Color me impressed. We go through a roll of paper towels a week just in the kitchen, never mind the bathrooms and shop. We go through a frightening amount of toilet paper.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2022, 11:24:18 AM »
Color me impressed. We go through a roll of paper towels a week just in the kitchen, never mind the bathrooms and shop. We go through a frightening amount of toilet paper.

Brad

Before my daughter moved out a roll of TP would last maybe 3 days.
After she moved out ~3 weeks maybe longer. But I am in the habit of doing my business immediately before my morning shower.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2022, 01:22:20 PM »
TMTMI...

I'm two blocks from an Aldi. I mostly buy coffee, half'n'half, sausage, eggs, burger, buns, cold cut stuff, and the like.

Wally World is slightly cheaper on the stuff, but is about a 12-14 mile round trip... If I'm in that area, I'll stock up, but...

Amazon is significantly higher on food type stuffs... Good for oddball things that I can't find locally, but... I'm in the south center of a big metro.

I'm probably gonna get one of the Amazon mattresses for my 62nd birthday. How do I do a go-fund-me thing with Amazon?
Blog under construction

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2022, 01:28:45 PM »

Brad

I got tired of using a metric *expletive deleted*it ton of paper towels I went out and bought a couple dozen bar back towels for the kitchen. Even at one a day we do laundry often enough the pile never goes away. It has really cut down on our paper towel usage.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08BSQ87JH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

bob

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2022, 01:46:36 PM »
"I got tired of using a metric *expletive deleted*it ton of paper towels I went out and bought a couple dozen bar back towels for the kitchen. Even at one a day we do laundry often enough the pile never goes away. It has really cut down on our paper towel usage."

DING! DING! DING!

I have a bunch of all cotton towels that I use for hand and kitchen utility towels. It cuts the paper towel waste down to virtually nothing.

I primarily use paper towels for draining bacon.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2022, 08:02:28 PM »
Yup. Bacon is what I used them mostly for. Or... "Oh damn... Let's sop that mess up and make it go away NOW."
Blog under construction

grampster

• friend
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2022, 10:07:18 PM »
We bought an adjustable Sleep Number bed over 25 years ago.  Still going strong.  Swmbo put a 3" memory foam topper on just because with a slightly padded regular topper to that.  It provides a great night's sleep and you can play with the support you want.  They are even much better now than back in the day with a lot of options.  It won't be cheap, but you won't have to buy another one...maybe swap out the memory foam topper every few years.  For all I know they come with that now if you want.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2022, 05:41:26 AM »
I know a couple of people who have had nothing but problems with their sleep number beds over the years. Neither would buy one again.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2022, 01:57:06 PM »
OK, so I'm looking at mattresses again. I've pretty much narrowed it down to the Sleep Innovations based on price alone. Sorry, but I just don't see paying nearly $2,000 for a mattress when there's a similar, and just as highly rated, mattress for a quarter of that price.

I"m assuming that, given my weight, I need a thicker mattress, so I'm looking at the 12".

Or should I be looking at the 14" mattresses?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2022, 08:47:45 AM »
I am holding out hope for the Powerball tonight and then I can sleep on a homemade mattress.   =)

I need to get back around to mattress shopping.  We will see how much money of have left after all the black Friday gun sales the next few weeks.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2022, 08:58:14 AM »
Hey Ben,

If you're looking at another mattress, the Marley is 22% off at Amazon right now.

I e-mailed the company yesterday asking about weight ratings and they suggested the Marley 12" cooling gel, so that's what I got.

It was $306 on sale, and with tax came in at just under $330.

It should be here Friday.

Hopefully my knee will continue to get better and I'll actually be able to get it upstairs.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2022, 09:10:04 AM »
Hey Ben,

If you're looking at another mattress, the Marley is 22% off at Amazon right now.

I e-mailed the company yesterday asking about weight ratings and they suggested the Marley 12" cooling gel, so that's what I got.

It was $306 on sale, and with tax came in at just under $330.

It should be here Friday.

Hopefully my knee will continue to get better and I'll actually be able to get it upstairs.

Sound like a good deal!

Knee shmee - you've got a ginormous dog that can pull the mattress up the stairs.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2022, 09:23:50 AM »
"Knee shmee - you've got a ginormous dog that can pull the mattress up the stairs."

Yeah, about that...

I told her I was going to buy a cart for her so she could cart stuff when we're walking.

"Do I LOOK like a working dog to you? WTF, Dad?"

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2022, 02:19:06 PM »
Mattress came late this morning.

I figured it was going to have to live in my dining room for a couple of weeks until my knee got stronger and I could get it upstairs.

But the more I looked at it, the more my mind churned to, of all places, Big Bang Theory AND firearms design.

BBT because Leonard and Sheldon used science (inclined planes, math, etc.) to get a heavy box upstairs for Penny by sliding it on the stairs.
Firearms design because one of the methods of locking a gun's action on firing is via the "tilting bolt" method.

I looked at the box and realized that if I slid it up a couple of stairs, I could then "tilt the bolt" to lock it in place on the stairs until I could get up far enough to push it a couple of more steps.

My God it worked like a charm. I did NO twisting with my lower body, made sure my legs were set and square, and pushed with my upper body.

My new memory foam mattress is inflating on my bed as I type this.

I love how my brain thinks weird and solves problems.