Author Topic: China Discovers New Moon Mineral  (Read 705 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
China Discovers New Moon Mineral
« on: October 01, 2022, 06:17:16 PM »
The 2020 Chinese moon mission resulted in the discovery of a new moon mineral containing Helium-3:

https://www.freethink.com/space/moon-mineral
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: China Discovers New Moon Mineral
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2022, 07:48:33 AM »
The 2020 Chinese moon mission resulted in the discovery of a new moon mineral containing Helium-3:

https://www.freethink.com/space/moon-mineral

The heading sorta sounds like 3He itself is a "new" mineral nobody's seen before, but it was predicted and isolated here on earth in the 1930s. 

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2022, 07:48:08 PM »
The heading sorta sounds like 3He itself is a "new" mineral nobody's seen before, but it was predicted and isolated here on earth in the 1930s.

BLUF: Some novel minerals were found on the moon, and these novel minerals have an affinity for catching and holding onto solar produced 3-He.  This is industrially useful because it is fairly straight forward in the collection methods: scoop it up, load in furnace, heat, capture escaping gasses.  With this initial prospecting done there is now a practical reason to push forward with remote lunar mining development and initial colonization/long-term habitation for the necessary technicians.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2022, 09:14:18 PM »
Can we use Helium-3 right now?  From what I see the answer is no.  Sounds nice for the future, but doesn't really put us in a big hurry to get there.  I am sure there will probably be other stuff to mine there, but same for near Earth asteroids.  Another reason to keep letting our space industry mature so we can keep looking for new materials among other things.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2022, 09:19:32 PM »
The He franchise is following the usual pattern. He1 was a blockbuster. Number 2 was a sophomore slump. He3: He's Back, and This Time He Brought Friends has a lot of industry buzz, and is shaping up to be a huge hit.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2022, 10:13:30 PM »
The He franchise is following the usual pattern. He1 was a blockbuster. Number 2 was a sophomore slump. He3: He's Back, and This Time He Brought Friends has a lot of industry buzz, and is shaping up to be a huge hit.

The first two were short lived fads that didn't catch on. The third and fourth installments have some real staying power however. 

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2022, 08:22:05 AM »
china says they went to the moon and discovered something new
This reminds me of Kim Jong Il's famous record breaking golf score.
https://cms-production-bridging.thescore.com/pga/news/1972845
7-11 was a part time job.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2022, 09:24:13 AM »
The first two were short lived fads that didn't catch on. The third and fourth installments have some real staying power however.
Regular He found that balloon niche.  It went high initially.  I see it hanging around for a bit, but it will probably drop over time. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2022, 10:30:44 AM »
« Last Edit: October 04, 2022, 02:01:15 AM by 230RN »