Author Topic: PnP dash cam wiring solution  (Read 596 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
PnP dash cam wiring solution
« on: September 20, 2022, 10:58:05 AM »
I've had a Viofo dash cam for a while, powered by a USB cable strung from the dashcam to a console USB port. The wire isn't a huge inconvenience, but it's still something dangling from the mirror and it takes up one of the precious few USB ports in the cab. I've always wanted to run a line under the headliner and down the a-pillar, but haven't gotten that adventurous. Plus, I'm not real jazzed about rooting around in the a-pillar airbag cavity.

I found this little gem today. It's a USB power tap from a company called Dongar Technologies. Taps power behind the rear view mirror of my F150 and is straight up Plug and play. Cost effective, too. Only thirty bucks. Also available on Amazon.

The company makes taps for a lot of different vehicles. Maybe this will save you some headache.

https://dongar.tech/

Bar
« Last Edit: September 20, 2022, 11:58:33 AM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: PnP dash cam wiring solution
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2022, 11:43:46 AM »
Good tip.  Thanks.

I heat that some car companies are starting to put USB ports by the rear view mirror just for dash cams.  Haven't seen it in person yet, though.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2022, 02:25:05 PM »
I've had a Viofo dash cam for a while, powered by a USB cable strung from the dashcam to a console USB port. The wire isn't a huge inconvenience, but it's still something dangling from the mirror and it takes up one of the precious few USB ports in the cab. I've always wanted to run a line under the headliner and down the a-pillar, but haven't gotten that adventurous. Plus, I'm not real jazzed about rooting around in the a-pillar airbag cavity.

I found this little gem today. It's a USB power tap from a company called Dongar Technologies. Taps power behind the rear view mirror of my F150 and is straight up Plug and play. Cost effective, too. Only thirty bucks. Also available on Amazon.

The company makes taps for a lot of different vehicles. Maybe this will save you some headache.

https://dongar.tech/

Bar

Sweet! Off to see what they have for our Escape.

DRAT! 2020+, ours is too old...

Un-drat, I didn't scroll down far enough! YAY! https://dongar.tech/products/ford3pin
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

mgdavis

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2022, 09:23:30 AM »
Good stuff. One of the reasons I have not installed dash cameras in my vehicles is my distaste for having stray cables running around the dash.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2022, 12:35:06 PM »
Just finished installing one in my truck. Works as advertised. Even came with a couple of 6" USB cords (which I ordered separately because stupid me didn't completely read the description). Ordering one for SWMBO's car.

One caveat... be prepared with zip ties or hook & loop tape. The adapter wires are tiny and will likely fail quickly if subject to vibration/tension/stress. Easy enough to secure, though.

Brad
« Last Edit: September 25, 2022, 06:21:11 PM by Brad Johnson »
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2022, 02:14:20 PM »
Anyone know a good way to get a suction cup mount to stay attached to the glass longer than a few days?
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2022, 05:56:47 PM »
Anyone know a good way to get a suction cup mount to stay attached to the glass longer than a few days?

Lick it before you stick it! (stick it where?) ((don't ask))
"It's good, though..."

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2022, 08:47:05 PM »
Lick it before you stick it! (stick it where?) ((don't ask))

I do, even do it with a clean mouth, not when eating cheez crackers!
MOLON LABE!

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2022, 12:08:54 AM »
A couple of years ago, I found a dashcam for only $20 at (IIRC) a Big Lots store.  It uses a "lighter socket" type plug, has a USB cable for computer hook-up, a 32 GB card slot, and it automatically "loops" over older files.  It is called an "XVibe" and it replaces an older one that didn't loop over files.  I had to take the card out every other day and wipe it on my computer.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2022, 08:47:50 AM »

Throw it in trash replace with a mirror mount bracket
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2022, 09:07:47 PM »
Waffling between Super Glue and Det Cord.
MOLON LABE!

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2022, 12:05:38 PM »
Waffling between Super Glue and Det Cord.

Why not both?  =D
"It's good, though..."

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2022, 12:49:48 PM »
Installed the second one in SWMBO's car over the weekend. Same as the first, no problems and works a treat.

Brad
-HankB