Author Topic: EDC as per XKCD  (Read 1279 times)

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
EDC as per XKCD
« on: September 20, 2022, 04:10:53 PM »
https://xkcd.com/2674/
Remember to hover over image to read the ALT text!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2022, 08:07:24 PM by HeroHog »
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: EDX as per XKCD
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2022, 06:14:53 PM »
Mentally reviews number of flashlights and knives with weird holes in the handle.  :-X

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
Re: EDC as per XKCD
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2022, 08:12:05 PM »
This is an OLD inventory of my bag. It has MORE in it now including 2 32round FunStix for the G19 and sold the S&W to a friend, a small pair of long nose ViceGrip pliers, a 9" Adjustable wrench, and a MAC Tools interchangeable bit magnetic screwdriver w/the bits in the handle. I no longer carry the LOCAL hand outs since LOCAL folded and I have gimpy plates and let my mirror tag expire.

(click image to see full size)
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2022, 08:13:25 PM »
Where the hell is the deep fat fryer?

When you get snacky it can be a real emergency!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2022, 08:27:50 PM »
1 is none and 700 is .....uh... maybe a little excessive.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2022, 10:32:15 PM »
I liked this one better.

https://xkcd.com/556/

Also, it's number 5.56.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2022, 05:50:37 AM »
I have to admit I've never understood the whole "Here are the MINIMUM 702 items you MUST carry in addition to your gun!"

To me, EDC means having three things -- my gun, my CCW, and my phone.

95% of the time I'm not even carrying extra ammo.

Portable defibrillator? Nope.

Level IV biohazard containment suit? Nope.

Plutonium-Neon-Yttrium laser? Nope.

Complete works of existential philosopher Jean-Paul Sartre, to help describe and define the condition of those who go armed? Nope.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 07:56:37 AM by K Frame »
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2022, 06:28:21 AM »
I agree that a lot of guys take things way to far for EDC.
In addition to my wallet with ID and money I try to always have 4 things. Knife, fire, light, gun.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2022, 06:48:13 AM »
Now that I've quit smoking I don't even have a means of making a fire anymore.

Unless I pull the bullet from a cartridge and use the powder and primer as a fire starter.

To me the EDC thing is no different than those videos of "These are the 178 CRITICAL rules you MUST remember when you're in a gun fight!"

;/

There's only one rule for a gun fight.

Survive.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2022, 07:23:09 AM »
Certainly a lot of these EDC youtube videos can make a guy shake his head. I mean, some of them have you carrying around fishing line and hooks in the city.

That said, "normal" EDC depends on your situation. Mike's list (plus a wallet with cash and/or plastic) is reasonable for in the city. My normal EDC is gun, wallet, phone, knife, and light. I use a knife multiple times per day, and probably pull out the light around every other day for something or other.

If I go into EDC circumstances that require more than that, it's either part of my vehicle kit or else I will have a small ruck or similar (think first aid, fire, emergency overnight, etc.).

An interesting trend I've noticed with the high speed guys on the youtubz is EDC carrying a tourniquet everywhere, or even a "stop the bleed" kit in ankle holsters.

I kind of get that. I used to carry full trauma kits in the vehicles. Now I carry "extremes" kits. I treat either the booboo extreme with band aids, etc., or else the "keep someone from dying until real help arrives" extreme with tourniquets, compression bandages, and CPR knowledge. Everything in the middle (if in urban/suburban areas) is "call 911 and make the victim comfortable until the experts arrive" territory.

I'm actually taking a "stop the bleed" class next weekend as a refresher. When I was one of the rescue divers at the office, we went through annual quasi-EMT training, but I have gone way too long without a refresher, so am taking this class plus later in the year a medical refresher. Which I guess adds an important EDC item everyone should have: knowledge.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2022, 07:25:22 AM »
" I mean, some of them have you carrying around fishing line and hooks in the city."

Well that actually makes sense!

Think about it. Without line and hooks, how the hell are you going to go alley rat fishing?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2022, 07:27:30 AM »
"I'm actually taking a "stop the bleed" class next weekend as a refresher."

WFT, dude?

You don't carry a blow torch and cautery iron with you everywhere?

WTF KIND OF DEATH WISH DO YOU HAVE???

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2022, 07:52:26 AM »
Yeah, I like being prepared and self sufficient, but some of these guys just have a ton of *expletive deleted*it.  I'm kinda with K Frame here that my "weekday" EDC is my phone and my keys (and I guess my watch, because the tactitoobers count that.)  I can't carry at work, so my gun is in my truck.  For evening or weekend EDC, I will clip my gun to my belt.

That said, my truck has a ton of useful stuff in it at all times, and I am rarely outside of walking distance of my truck in every day life.  Solid first aid/trauma kit, fire making, multiple lights, rain gear, fresh clothes, shelter, food, water, a carbine and ammo, tools, extra batteries and fuel are all in or on my truck pretty much all the time.  So if you include that, I have a pretty solid EDC.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2022, 08:03:45 AM »

An interesting trend I've noticed with the high speed guys on the youtubz is EDC carrying a tourniquet everywhere, or even a "stop the bleed" kit in ankle holsters.

I think that trend is an outgrowth of the GWOT experience that a quick tourniquet is often the most important thing to survival of a bad extremity injury.  Related: the US Military's combat first aid has become pretty centered on extremity trauma because the GWOT's massive increase in all of us wearing body armor meant you saw much less trunk injuries.  (If it got through the armor, you didn't need first aid usually).  Couple that with the proliferation of really good and cheap premade tourniquet's and new medical knowledge that it didn't automatically mean you were loosing a limb if you slapped one on and you see a lot of use.

My FF/Paramedic buddies say they get a lot of use in car accidents these days too.  Apparently they see a lot of *expletive deleted*ed up and bleeding legs in accidents, and they can slap a CAT on real quick before they extract someone from a vehicle so that they don't bleed out in the extraction process.

I have, I don't know, 10 or so CAT's between one's I've bought and one's I was issued.  Two in truck trauma kit, one on each war belt, one on plate carrier, one on each chest rig, wife's got a couple in her car, three on my Army Issue load carrier, one in my hiking pack FAK.  Probably a couple others floating around.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2022, 08:08:44 AM »
There's only one rule for a gun fight.

Survive.
Clearly one can overcomplicate something and one can also oversimplify it.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2022, 09:32:12 AM »
When I took my paramedic training back in the early 80's, tourniquets were generally not used, nor did we have the more complex bandages of today.  I am actually thinking of taking one of those stop the bleed classes just to update my knowledge as to current techniques and gear.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2022, 09:36:28 AM »
https://www.vigrtraining.com/product-page/grounded-wounded-lithia-fl-3-19-20-2022

I'm taking this class next month.  It includes some more training on traumatic first aid.  I'm interested in how it's going to differ from the modern Army first aid.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2022, 09:43:22 AM »
When I took my paramedic training back in the early 80's, tourniquets were generally not used, nor did we have the more complex bandages of today.  I am actually thinking of taking one of those stop the bleed classes just to update my knowledge as to current techniques and gear.

I'm sure you have much more info than me, given your occupation, but basic stop the bleed classes seem to be available almost everywhere these days, often for free.

I'm actually paying for mine, held at my LGS, because it's going to have a gunshot and self-application component to it. While nowhere near as intensive as what Dogmush posted, they did say, "bring clothes that you don't mind ruining", as they are apparently doing a lot of squirting fake blood stuff.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2022, 09:51:18 AM »
Clearly one can overcomplicate something and one can also oversimplify it.

OKaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy....

Surviving is too simple conceptually.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2022, 09:53:38 AM »
I'm telling you guys...

PLUS

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2022, 10:01:41 AM »
I'm telling you guys...

PLUS

There's no room on my EDC belt for that.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2022, 10:50:10 AM »
That's why you NEED a tactical wheel barrow.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2022, 11:03:36 AM »
That's why you NEED a tactical wheel barrow.

And a debarked Chihuahua...

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2022, 11:04:31 AM »
OKaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy....

Surviving is too simple conceptually.
"You only need to remember one thing when you're investing: make lots of money."
"The only rule you have to consider when dating is to have sex with a woman."
"My grandpappy told me that the trick about riding a horse is to not be Christopher Reeve."

I'm honestly not sure if you intended it to be a ridiculous mockery of something or were trying to come across in a low growl like Clint Eastwood giving advice to an earnest greenhorn, but it sure landed more on the "hurr durr" side when I read it.

Surviving is absolutely a goal, but I'm not sure clicking your heels together and wishing for it is the way to develop the skills to do it any more than trying to remember a bazillion simple rules and loading up on niche gear is.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2022, 11:24:30 AM »
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Visions of Cordex sitting in his den, pursing his lips and tsk tsking like a school marm...  :old:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Yer *expletive deleted*ing killing me!

:rofl:

""You only need to remember one thing when you're investing: make lots of money."

If you fail, you get to try again with a different investment philosophy.

"The only rule you have to consider when dating is to have sex with a woman."

If you fail, you get to try again with another woman, or maybe even the same woman.

"There's only one rule for a gun fight.

Survive."

If you fail, you can train, plan, prepare more effiiciently for the next..... wait, no you can't, because you're *expletive deleted*ing dead. It's as simple as that. You either survive, of you don't. It's literally a binary thing.

All of your training, all of the *expletive deleted*it you hang off your belt or stuff in your pockets, all of the scenarios, all of the planning for the aftermath of an armed encounter... that doesn't mean squat if you don't do the one simple thing -- survive the gunfight.