Author Topic: Putin just called up 300,000 reservists...  (Read 1151 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Putin just called up 300,000 reservists...
« on: September 21, 2022, 07:39:13 AM »
And now there's apparently a HUGE run on airline tickets for anywhere that isn't in Russia.

Going to be very interesting to see the reaction inside of Russia, given the growing unrest over how badly the invasion has gone.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
Re: Putin just called up 300,000 reservists...
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2022, 07:43:42 AM »
Also read that Putin instituted the Russian equivalent of our own "stop loss" orders to prevent troops whose contracts have expired from leaving the Russian military.

Keeping troops in for a longer than agreed upon term - WHAT a way to boost troop morale!
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2022, 08:21:45 AM »
Will be interesting to see what’s said at the U.N. meetings today with Joe.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2022, 08:38:10 AM »
Good thread on the subject: https://twitter.com/DrRadchenko/status/1572486143198756868

TL;DR: He probably isn't actually calling up 300,000 people, and he's starting with men with prior military experience, but it's still a sign Ukraine is going poorly for Russia.  Even if he did mobilize 300,000 troops, he doesn't seem to have working equipment to put them in.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2022, 09:02:43 AM »
Yeah, and last week JoBiden had a stern warning to Putin. Putin laughed.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2022, 09:31:34 AM »
Didn't Putin recently say he was withdrawing from Ukraine?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2022, 09:40:27 AM »
Didn't Putin recently say he was withdrawing from Ukraine?

He said 'he'll stop the Ukraine invasion he ordered as soon as possible'.

Note he didn't say withdraw he said "stop"
And "As soon as possible" could mean anything from in the next 5 minutes to when the Ukrainians bow down to their new Czar at which point he'll stop.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2022, 09:58:01 AM »
Will be interesting to see what’s said at the U.N. meetings today with Joe.

Let me guess...

You're not doing enough to combat climate change! (that from the Chinese and Indian delegates)

Your record on human rights is abysmal! (that from the Chinese, Russian, Syrian, Iranian, Somali, and Taliban delegates)

Your elections aren't secure enough and are allowing fiscally conservative America first right-wingers to win!

You're not welcoming enough immigrants!

We hate you and we want to be you so you can't be you!

Those last three are from all of the other delegates.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2022, 10:45:07 AM »
I have this lingering fear of Putin lighting off a nuke in Ukraine, either to prove his Russian strength, or to escalate the war by blame Ukraine for making it nuclear.  God help us all if he plays that card.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2022, 10:54:36 AM »
I have this lingering fear of Putin lighting off a nuke in Ukraine, either to prove his Russian strength, or to escalate the war by blame Ukraine for making it nuclear.  God help us all if he plays that card.

Got a touch of that too.  I think it's still unlikely, but it feels less so as time goes on and Putin is backed into a corner.

In fairness to his position, we as countries don't really declare wars anymore - it's all shades of grey. Putin has found himself fighting with not only Ukraine, but a sizable amount of the military, fiscal and industrial might of the west.

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2022, 11:02:11 AM »
Putin isn't both crazy and stupid, yet. I want to belive he understands that his inability to secure victory in Ukraine translates to thermonuclear war.
7-11 was a part time job.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2022, 11:02:52 AM »
One would hope that if he did try to play the nuke card the safeguards that SHOULD be in place to prevent a state leader from going unilaterally rogue would come into play.

But, given that Russia is no longer a democracy, but a dictatorship, God knows what sort of control he now exercises over Russia's nukes.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2022, 11:05:57 AM »
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2022, 11:07:27 AM »
But, given that Russia is no longer a democracy, but a dictatorship, God knows what sort of control he now exercises over Russia's nukes.
Ah, the heady days of Russian democracy.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2022, 11:23:07 AM »
Ah, the heady days of Russian democracy.

All 35 minutes of it in 1993.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2022, 11:24:21 AM »
Betcha Ukraine regrets giving up their nukes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukraine_and_weapons_of_mass_destruction

They shouldn't be, the US and NATO promised to protect them. Of course, so did Russia, ;)

bob

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2022, 05:19:17 PM »
I read that there will be upcoming referendums in the breakaway/occupied territories. If they "vote" to join Russia then Putin will go to the government and ask for a formal declaration of war against Ukraine.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2022, 06:22:19 PM »
I read that there will be upcoming referendums in the breakaway/occupied territories. If they "vote" to join Russia then Putin will go to the government and ask for a formal declaration of war against Ukraine.
Wonder if they'll be harvesting ballots and using Dominion voting machines . . . just to be sure everything is as 100% honest and accurate as our last election, of course.

As far as popping a nuke somewhere in Ukraine goes . . . or using nerve gas . . . any idea which way the prevailing winds will blow the fallout?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2022, 07:37:51 PM »
Do you think Putin would risk a nuke or nerve gas without trying to make sure it looked like the Ukrainians did it?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2022, 07:39:10 PM »
"As far as popping a nuke somewhere in Ukraine goes . . . or using nerve gas . . . any idea which way the prevailing winds will blow the fallout?"

Well, if Chernobyl is the model, most of Poland, some into Germany, up across Western Russia (including Moscow) and into Finland.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2022, 07:40:40 PM »
Do you think Putin would risk a nuke or nerve gas without trying to make sure it looked like the Ukrainians did it?

My assessment?

He's dying, or at least is gravely ill, and he no longer gives a three fingered flying *expletive deleted*ck.

So yeah, I could see him popping a nuke.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2022, 08:12:47 PM »
What will Putin's military do if he drops that order? I'm figuring he'll shoot himself in the back of his head.
Blog under construction

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2022, 08:51:12 PM »
Sounds like Putins push to get more conscripts isn’t going over to well in Russia.  Link to story is posted in other thread.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2022, 08:53:24 PM »

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/19870657/putin-addresses-russia-ukraine-invasion/
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Lennyjoe

• friend