Author Topic: Just bought an Xbox One  (Read 787 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Just bought an Xbox One
« on: September 21, 2022, 01:03:43 PM »
A refurbished unit from Game Stop.

I'd been considering getting an S, but after reading about a million different things, I just couldn't see what the point would be for me.

The biggest reason why I'm finally making the jump to XBox One?

Got a message from Hulu the other week that in early October the app on the 360, which I currently use to stream Hulu onto my TV, will go non-functional.

I had the option of finally buying a smart TV, but I don't think I'm quite ready to do that yet. So Xbox One it is.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

dogmush

• friend
Re: Just bought an Xbox One
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2022, 01:31:59 PM »
At least you'll have 4k.

Wait.  Xbox One?  Or Xbox One S or X?  The original XboxOne didn't have 4K or HDR support IIRC.

Is there a reason you didn't get one of the streaming sticks?  You would seem to be the obvious customer for a FireStick or Ruku Stick.  You don't game, right?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2022, 01:43:21 PM »
Yes. Xbox ONE (Or however, Microsquish capitalizes it).

The original, not an S or X.

Price on the X? Yikes!

I don't have a 4K TV. My TV is state of the art... 2008.

When I do eventually upgrade my TV, it will be 4K, but it will also be able to stream Hulu without having to resort to my XBox as the streaming link.

"You don't game, right?"

I do. Limited to gaming with a few friends, and primarily playing COD2 and COD World at War.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2022, 02:09:17 PM »
Just bought an Xbox One

Welcome to 2013.  :rofl:

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2022, 02:58:26 PM »
GEDOFFAMAHLAWN!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2022, 08:33:18 PM »
Not that it matters, because you already bought the One, but I think you are confusing an Xbox One X with the current Xbox Series X.

A One X is just the console you just bought with 4k and HDR capability. They are like $250 refurbished. The Series X is the current Gen and is like $500.

But yeah, if you're only streaming to a 1080 TV I guess it doesn't really matter. You can't play the newer CODs though. 

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2022, 06:53:15 AM »
"You can't play the newer CODs though.  "

Are you *expletive deleted*ing shitting me?

Jesus Christ, talk about making this crap as confusing as possible.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2022, 07:12:37 AM »
"You can't play the newer CODs though.  "

Are you *expletive deleted*ing shitting me?

Jesus Christ, talk about making this crap as confusing as possible.

I could be wrong, I don't play COD so I'm not up on all the details, but I thought MW2 remake was the one that ran the new engine with ray tracing and native 4k, and while it's technically XONE compatible I thought I read that you needed one of the newer XONEs to get that engine to run worth a *expletive deleted*it.

But again I may be wrong. I game on PC so am not up to date on all things Xbox.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2022, 07:18:10 AM »
Oh well, I'll figure it out soon enough.

I almost bought an S some months ago... until I discovered, almost by accident, that the one I had put into my cart didn't have a disk player on it. It was one of the "you gotta download all this *expletive deleted*it... have the game disk already? Tough, buy it again, chump!" systems.

I closed out the transaction and said screw it, I'm sticking with the 360.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2022, 08:31:40 AM »
I've got a Fire stick, a Roku stick, and one of the Google things. I rarely use 'em. I just use the $150 computer that's hooked up to that TV...
Blog under construction

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2022, 09:33:26 AM »
Oh well, I'll figure it out soon enough.

Yeah, Microsoft didn't do the buying public any favors with their confusing names.

Generational progression:
XBox
XBox 360 / 360s
XBox One
XBox One X / One S
XBox Series X / Series S

Wiki has a decent features matrix by generation. It's about a quarter of the way down the page.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox

dogmush is right... games optimized for the XBox Series X won't play on previous-gen consoles unless the developer offers a backwards-compatible version, an expensive and time-consuming proposition. It is, in a very real sense, developing two different versions of the game to accommodate the huge differences in hardware architecture and raw processing power.

Fortunately, the XsX will play most older games, some of which are available in reworked versions with fresh skins, new overlays, and improved physics that weren't possible under older consoles' processing limits.

As a die-hard A/V enthusiast and occasional gamer who made the jump from XBox One to XBox Series X, I highly recommend the XsX. Yeah, it's spendy, but worth it for the versatility and performance. Plus, it capitalizes on a growing market of products rather than a shrinking one, will be functionally relevant for many years to come, and has you ready for that new 4K TV you've mentioned a couple times.

Brad
« Last Edit: September 22, 2022, 11:36:24 AM by Brad Johnson »
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2022, 01:56:21 PM »
I've been strongly considering a PS5 just so I can play Horizon: Forbidden West, but ammo keeps coming first.

Which of the 9th Gen consoles is better? hardware wise? 

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2022, 03:32:46 PM »
Which of the 9th Gen consoles is better? hardware wise? 

Honestly it seems to be a tossup. Each console has certain things that test out a few tenths better than the competition, or a feature here and there may be personally preferable, but in the real world they are pretty evenly matched. At one point I think there was better cross-platform compatibility with XBox, but don't think that's much of an issue anymore. The biggest thing for hardcore gamers seems to be exclusives, but I could care less. I have plenty to keep me busy until whatever it is comes out for my platform.

I chose the XsX because I like the form factor better and have vesting within the XBox framework (games, apps, etc). If you already have a PlayStation presence, I'd stick with that for continuity.

Brad
-HankB

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2022, 03:48:45 PM »
That's my problem  I don't really have a console presence at all. I'll happily PC game until a console exclusive hits that I just *have* to play. Last time that happened was the Tomb Raider reboot.

But I really  liked Horizon:Zero Dawn, and Forbidden West hasn't come to PC yet.  Grrrrrr.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2022, 03:54:42 PM »
That's my problem  I don't really have a console presence at all. I'll happily PC game until a console exclusive hits that I just *have* to play. Last time that happened was the Tomb Raider reboot.

I'd probably steer you to the XsX, then, mostly for the less restrictive universe and compatibility with other Windows hardware on your network. It also has a touch more processing power and slightly more internal storage, though I think both consoles can be upgraded with add-on or external hardware. The XBox seems to have a larger library of games available via it's more universal backwards compatibility, but I don't have PS experience to compare.

TomsGuide has a side-by-side on them.

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/ps5-vs-xbox-series-x

Brad
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2022, 04:49:46 PM »
I went XBox because all of my friends bought Xboxes and I wanted to game with them.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2022, 10:22:37 PM »
I went XBox because all of my friends bought Xboxes and I wanted to game with them.

Definitely a consideration, especially if you gravitate to coop gameplay.

Brad
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2022, 07:12:22 AM »
Years ago I saw a VERY funny cartoon comparing Xbox online with Playstation online.

The Xbox online was a room just stuffed with people to the point where no one could move.

Playstation online was a guy standing at the lip of a huge canyon yelling "IS ANYONE THERE?" and having it echo...

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2022, 08:23:12 AM »
I play games to avoid Human interaction.  The idea of inviting people into my video game world gives me hives.  Honestly, sometimes the folks here are a bit too much. :D

I do understand that there are some weirdos that want to interact with other people though.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2022, 12:12:07 PM »
My XB1 came Friday. I didn't get a chance to set it up until Saturday.

It's a refurb Game Stop unit.

Took quite awhile to get it up and running with all of the updates that it needed to download, but I was able to sign in with the Xbox app on my phone and by pass a lot of stuff that way, which was really nice.

I was quite worried at first -- when I started it up and when it was downloading it was making a sound like two cats screwing an angry raccoon in a dumpster... but once all of the downloads finished it calmed down and went silent.

It's been something of a learning curve getting up and running on gaming with my friend. He's still on XB360 so there are some nuances and things to getting a game set up.

The one thing I don't really like is the controller. It's shaped such that it's not quite sitting right in my hands when I'm holding it, which makes the right trigger and shoulder buttons hard to use.

I do like the fact that I can install games right on the hard drive and not have to insert the disk.

I'm not too crazy about the top screen user interface. It's very cluttered and difficult to find stuff on.

Ah, 2013 is such a magical time!