Author Topic: Dog Sniffspots for Rent  (Read 282 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Dog Sniffspots for Rent
« on: September 24, 2022, 08:18:26 AM »
This was in the local news this morning. Apparently there is an Air B&B style model out there for dogs, where private individuals rent out their yards or acreage as private dog parks.

It was interesting exploring spaces and prices in different parts of the country. Around here, they average $10/hr/dog. I guess I get it for people who might have dogs that are either too aggressive or too timid for a dog park. However around here, we have so many public dog parks that it's ridiculous. I'm dogsitting right now, so I took Steve and his girlfriend to Steve's usual dog park (I try to take him there once a week for socialization). The dogs had their choice of a section where they were the only ones there, or a section loaded with dogs, all for free, and well maintained.

It was funny seeing some of the local areas called "private dog parks". Some were desolate, ugly acreage, some were tiny backyards. A few were pretty amazing looking. I can see these being more popular in urban areas where there a lot of apartment dwellers and overcrowded dog parks. In the Los Angeles region, prices seemed to run around $20/hr/dog, about double what they are here. Also some amazing and some really tiny and/or crappy spaces.

If I didn't live too far for potential clients to go, I'd rent out a pasture.  :laugh:

https://www.sniffspot.com/

Tangential side note. Idaho is generally very dog friendly, but I crack up that some of the least dog friendly places in the state are liberal. Last week, Steve and me took a day trip to McCall, which is an Idaho resort town. At this point overrun with coastal liberals. There were "no dogs" and "dogs must be leashed" signs everywhere. Like many residents (vs tourists or vacation homers), we ignored them. We had a great lunch of burgers and puppy patties at a "no dogs allowed" beach on Lake Payette.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."