Author Topic: New long-distance record rifle shot  (Read 404 times)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
New long-distance record rifle shot
« on: September 23, 2022, 12:33:07 AM »

https://www.themeateater.com/hunt/firearm-hunting/7-774-yards-new-world-record-rifle-shot-set-in-wyoming

A rifle chambered in .416 Barrett made a 4.4 mile shot.

Nothing to add, really.  Just quite impressive.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

HankB

• friend
Re: New long-distance record rifle shot
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2022, 07:48:01 AM »
I'm don't think a shot from any rifle in my safe would even carry that far. So they put a lot of prep into this. From that standpoint, I'm impressed. Especially since somewhere downrange the bullet went subsonic. (Transitioning from supersonic to subsonic tends to degrade accuracy after the transition.)

But it took them 69 shots before they got lucky enough to get a hit - and I say lucky enough, since even that custom rifle wasn't capable of firing what most people would consider to be a group at that range. Throw enough lead downrange, and as long as the bullet will go that far, ending up in the general vicinity of the target, you'll eventually hit the bullseye.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2022, 07:56:13 AM »
https://www.themeateater.com/hunt/firearm-hunting/7-774-yards-new-world-record-rifle-shot-set-in-wyoming

A rifle chambered in .416 Barrett made a 4.4 mile shot.

Nothing to add, really.  Just quite impressive.

At that distance, 1 MOA is about 80 inches.  The target was 120x92 inches.  Pretty small target considering the distance, but still more luck than skill I think.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2022, 10:19:20 AM »
Yeah, seems like a luck proposition.  I mean, at that distance I can see several rounds being needed to dial in elevation and windage.  But after that if even a world class shooter can’t regularly hit a human size target it’s kind of meaningless.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2022, 09:09:01 AM »
I think the world record group for 1000 yard shooting is a little over 2 1/2 inches for 10 consecutive shots - I find that more impressive than lucking into one hit at long - ok, really long - distance after firing box after box of ammo. (No, I won't willingly tempt fate by standing 4.4 miles away while someone flings bullets my way, even if their chances of hitting me are low.)

Then there's long range accuracy for handguns. Elmer Keith hit a deer at 600 yards with a .44 revolver, but it took him several shots before he got lucky and connected. There's a YouTube video of Jerry Miculek using an S&W 9mm revolver (yes, revolver) to hit a torso-sized target at 1000 yards - not bad for a handgun from a standing position. I could do the same . . . but I strongly suspect it might take me more shots than it did JM before I scored a hit. (I won't guess how many more shots.  ;)  )

Again, put enough bullets downrange, and eventually you'll get a bullseye.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain