Author Topic: Don't think Brandon is raising your taxes?  (Read 2446 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Don't think Brandon is raising your taxes?
« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2022, 09:15:41 AM »
And I can't help but wonder if while she couldn't come up with $60 a month for her debt, whether or not she still could still find money for beer, cigarettes, and cable TV.

As a former landlord, it was always fascinating to me to hear the sob stories about rent, but see the same tenants constantly buying new toys. My dad had a tenant that actually once told him, "I can't pay the rent this month because I have to buy baseball equipment for my boy".

I guess he was honest, at least, but it just shows that there is a significant portion of the population that believes luxuries are a higher priority than responsibilities. Too many people have been taught (and have experienced) that someone will bail you out of your responsibilities. It's like the old story about how the Air Force builds bases: Put the bowling alley in first, and the runway in last, and when you run out of money early, well, you HAVE to have a runway!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2022, 04:01:40 PM »
As a former landlord, it was always fascinating to me to hear the sob stories about rent, but see the same tenants constantly buying new toys. My dad had a tenant that actually once told him, "I can't pay the rent this month because I have to buy baseball equipment for my boy".

I guess he was honest, at least, but it just shows that there is a significant portion of the population that believes luxuries are a higher priority than responsibilities. Too many people have been taught (and have experienced) that someone will bail you out of your responsibilities. It's like the old story about how the Air Force builds bases: Put the bowling alley in first, and the runway in last, and when you run out of money early, well, you HAVE to have a runway!
I think that first part comes up with anything.  People make bad choices spending money and then make excuses that they can't afford that necessity.  Don't pay attention to the fast food and beer they bought or the other useless stuff they could have done without. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2022, 07:52:13 PM »
Blocked, for now

The 8th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals granted a motion on Friday to temporarily block President Biden's student loan handout plan.

The appeals court ruled in favor of six Republican-led states who requested that Biden's handout plan is halted while the court works through its request for an injunction.

US appeals court temporarily blocks Biden's student loan handout
https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/u-s-appeals-court-grants-injunction-temporary-blocking-bidens-student-loan-handout
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #53 on: October 22, 2022, 06:20:53 AM »
Amy Comey Barret unfortunately allowed another federal court dismissal to stand when she rejected a review by the Supreme Court.

https://www.reuters.com/markets/us/us-supreme-courts-barrett-declines-block-biden-student-loan-relief-2022-10-20/
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #54 on: October 22, 2022, 07:39:07 AM »
While it might have been desirable to accept the challenge the SCOTUS only takes up a tiny percentage of the cases it sees, and usually holds out for when there are district courts disagreements or major constitutional implications.  While a good case could be made that Biden doesn’t have the constitutional authority to “forgive” student loans it’s hardly the only improper use of executive authority to occur and while expensive, may not rise as high as other incidents in constitutional importance.  And if those weren’t sufficient constitutional insults to warrant SCOTUS intervention, why would this?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #55 on: October 22, 2022, 08:22:20 AM »
"And if those weren’t sufficient constitutional insults to warrant SCOTUS intervention, why would this?"

I can think of a whole series of possible reasons why it might bear Constitutional review. I'm sure the plaintiffs in the action thought the exact same thing when they actually brought the initial case. That's how the who judicial system works -- two parties making arguments, hoping their arguments are sufficiently persuasive to have a ruling in their favor.

The entire appeals process is part of that.

I'm sure that their pleading to the Supreme Court asking for review was a bit more fluently worded than "The lower judge was a poopy head and he needs to be reversed because we don't like poopy heads!"
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #56 on: October 22, 2022, 01:00:28 PM »
I can think of plenty of reasons too.  But we’re not SCOTUS judges.  And we don’t know (yet) which other cases they’re going to take on instead.  We also don’t know if there was something said behind the scenes that Barrett and/or other conservatives want to see happen before they take on the case.

Or, they really are feckless bastards bowing to the elites.